01-05-2019, 08:21 AM
User Info
other than a hot wet towel, how else can one soften facial hair?  i only ask because in march of 2000 i bought the gillette mach 3 system razor but didnt shave while taking a shower and instead decided to shave about 30 minutes after showering.  the problem that i encountered was when shaving against the grain!  my facial hair was tough and i mean tough!  it felt hard like nails for some reason!!!!!!!  thats why im asking what other than a hot wet towel can be put on tough facial hair?????  gillette exfoliation cream/gel to soften hair???  someone told me to put a hot towel for like 3 minutes and this will soften the hairs but by how much?  will a hot towel for 3 minutes really soften my facial hair that much that i can shave against the grain with no irritation???? when shaving against the hair like 30 minutes after showering my whiskers feel like tough galvanized steel!!!!  what am i doing wrong here?????  since what year has this forum been online?  1999 or 2000????  can any of u guys please help me out here???  rsvp.  thank you.  

0 1
 01-05-2019, 08:42 AM
User Info
Wow.. punctuation and line breaks can be helpful, my friend Smile

Lets see... a proper lather (and I mean made using a brush and soap/cream, as opposed to the canned stuff) will help soften the hairs and protect the skin. Some soaps/creams are more softening than others, off course, so you might have to try several... but trying new stuff is part of what makes shaving fun.

Some guys also likes to use a pre-shave oil to soften the hairs, but I have found that to be unnecessary for me. You might find it more useful though, so you might want to try that as well.

Hot towels can be quite luxurious, I must admit, but the sheer logistics of it makes me not use it at home. My almost-local barber uses them on my when I go there for a shave, and it's enough to almost send me to sleep with sheer relaxation.

As for doing wrong... well... better to ask what you're doing right and build on that. You may want to try a different razor than the cartridge too, but better to vary just one variable at a time.

The Shave Nook have been online since 2012, but shaving forums in various shapes have been online since before the internet as we know today came about. I would encourage you to read through the archives; there is tons of useful information and tips here Biggrin

3 6,142
 01-05-2019, 10:01 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Yes, lather. I prefer face lathering.
More time spent lathering + proper hydration = better prep = better shave

10 3,316
 01-05-2019, 10:40 AM
User Info
Welcome to TSN Donald.  When you have a chance, please introduce yourself in the Introductions section, so our members can give you proper welcome.

Hot towels can indeed make a difference.  The best shave I ever received was from a highly experienced barber at the Chicago Truefitt and Hill store.  He applied a hot towel and left it on for quite a long time.  He then put hot lather on my face, applied a second hot towel and left it on for quite a long time.    The resulting shave was exceedingly close, and I attribute it, in part, to the two hot towels and the length of time they were left on my face.  

Using hot towels at home can be cumbersome and time consuming.  Try shaving immediately after your shower.  Then, right before you shave, splash hot water on your face several times.

If you're not already doing so, your against the grain pass should be your third pass, following a with the grain pass and an across the grain pass.  Some persons have a combination of a tough beard and sensitive skin, and can never tolerate an across the grain pass, regardless of preparation, equipment and skill.

54 8,780
 01-05-2019, 10:45 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(01-05-2019, 08:21 AM)donald bathe Wrote: other than a hot wet towel, how else can one soften facial hair?  i only ask because in march of 2000 i bought the gillette mach 3 system razor but didnt shave while taking a shower and instead decided to shave about 30 minutes after showering.  the problem that i encountered was when shaving against the grain!  my facial hair was tough and i mean tough!  it felt hard like nails for some reason!!!!!!!  thats why im asking what other than a hot wet towel can be put on tough facial hair?????  gillette exfoliation cream/gel to soften hair???  someone told me to put a hot towel for like 3 minutes and this will soften the hairs but by how much?  will a hot towel for 3 minutes really soften my facial hair that much that i can shave against the grain with no irritation???? when shaving against the hair like 30 minutes after showering my whiskers feel like tough galvanized steel!!!!  what am i doing wrong here?????  since what year has this forum been online?  1999 or 2000????  can any of u guys please help me out here???  rsvp.  thank you.  

one posibility (link)

Another solution that I use at home is to apply a very thin layer of Noxzema Classic Clean Original Deep Cleansing Cream to my beard area before lathering.  I do not wash the Noxzema off; I just lather right over it.

1 1,337
 01-23-2019, 05:25 AM
User Info
Possible solutions are pre shave products.

I prefer a decent face soap (Meissner, Klar, Speick...), leave it on and do a short morning routine of push ups or similar.
Then rub almond oil on top and begin a normal shave.
Both steps aren’t really necessary but help.

Beating all hot towels of the world imo is ... 20minutes jogging prior to your shaveSmile

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

0 207
 01-23-2019, 08:04 AM
User Info
Proraso has some pre-shave cream that you can try besides hot towel.

1 70