01-06-2019, 12:22 PM
  • Z-2
  • Ex-Lurker
User Info
Hello friends,

I used for first time Tweex shave stick. It is similar like Arko, with somehow strongest and industrial smell.
I have psoriasis, and realized, that my skin got red and itchy when I applied the lather. Same thing when I other tallow based soaps, but not sure from all or particular ones. Especially with Tweex, Tabac and Arko I get very bad reaction.
Is possible to have allergic reaction? My skin get better after few hours, but still there is some redness 

I read lanolool and parfum can be a issue   Huh

Thanks!

0 9
 01-06-2019, 12:44 PM
User Info
Oh Yes ! I am a BIG time sufferer..... Angry  You may be allergic to one or more ingredients.
I have a problem with the ingredients, Limonene and Linalool, which are in MANY shave products.
Get some fragrance free soap.
Cheers

1 1,031
 01-06-2019, 02:13 PM
User Info
If you are allergic to tallow then you would also be allergic to beef.  If you can eat beef then tallow is not the issue.  I would immediately point my finger at lanolin or fragrance oils since these are the two most common allergens I run into.  I would recommend a tallow based soap made with essential oils to start to narrow things down.  CRSW or Mike's is a great place to start and then if you still have issues you can buy vegetable based products like mine or any number of vegan producers.

0 417
 01-06-2019, 09:50 PM
  • Z-2
  • Ex-Lurker
User Info
I am thinking to try shaving oil or any shaving gel. I need something which doesn`t dry the skin. Because of proriasis my skin is already dry and as I know soaps are not best choice for shaving with.

0 9
 01-07-2019, 07:42 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Mikes Wool Fat immediately causes irritation; T&S (across the lineup) has a similar effect but more progressive

3 378
 01-07-2019, 08:33 AM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
I would think it would be caused by one of the other ingredients not the tallow. My first bet would be the synthetic fragrance oil or some other cheap filler ingredient. If i were you I would look at the ingredient lists of the soaps you mentioned that cause you to react, look at the ingredients of soaps that do not cause any reaction, and see what ingredients they have in common (besides tallow) and try to narrow it down from there.

12 616
 01-07-2019, 09:28 PM
  • Z-2
  • Ex-Lurker
User Info
(01-07-2019, 08:33 AM)JRRIII Wrote: I would think it would be caused by one of the other ingredients not the tallow. My first bet would be the synthetic fragrance oil or some other cheap filler ingredient. If i were you I would look at the ingredient lists of the soaps you mentioned that cause you to react, look at the ingredients of soaps that do not cause any reaction, and see what ingredients they have in common (besides tallow) and try to narrow it down from there.

I can`t use most soaps, because they dry out my skin. I will try with VDH Deluxe, which is vegetable to see how it goes Smile

0 9
 01-07-2019, 09:48 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(01-06-2019, 09:50 PM)Z-2 Wrote: I am thinking to try shaving oil or any shaving gel. I need something which doesn`t dry the skin. Because of proriasis my skin is already dry and as I know soaps are not best choice for shaving with.

In the past, when I use to use a shaving soap until the puck was used up, and therefore sometimes suffered a gap between pucks, I used plain, unscented Neutrogena soap as a stop-gap shaving soap.

It worked pretty well. Neutrogena never has had a drying effect on my skin.

1 1,335
 01-08-2019, 04:52 AM
User Info
I would start by trying unscented tallow soap without lanolin.

54 8,765
 01-08-2019, 05:44 AM
  • Z-2
  • Ex-Lurker
User Info
Thanks for suggestion, but I live in small country in EU, so, neither Neutrogena, or unscented soaps are available here Confused

0 9
 01-08-2019, 05:45 AM
User Info
Scent-related compounds (both synthetic fragrances or natural oils) are frequently the cause of bad allergic reactions in the skin. 
Try a fragrance-free shaving soap and see it it works.

2 5,567
 01-13-2019, 01:16 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
You might try the Italian creams though some of them are expensive. If you call or email and explain they’d probably send samples. Try unscented XPEC (actually a good buy), Santa Mariah Novella (décent buy), Acqua di Parma (pricey), or ABC (also pricey).

Good luck!

Cheers, Steve

8 705
 01-14-2019, 10:59 AM
  • Z-2
  • Ex-Lurker
User Info
Update :

Today I decided to use Williams mug soap. I expected to get redness and itching, but I was wrong !
Everything was fine and my skin didn`t get any reaction from this soap. I am happy, at least I can use 2 soaps (the other is Palmolive stick), which works good for me.

Maybe some of ingredients in particular soaps gives me bad allergy and they make my psoriasis worse. 

I am really confused now..

p.s. from Italian soaps I tried only Proraso green, unfortunately I can`t use it because of same issue as above - allergic reaction.

0 9
 01-14-2019, 11:56 AM
User Info
You're making progress.  You now know it's not the tallow.

54 8,765
 01-14-2019, 12:46 PM
User Info
(01-14-2019, 10:59 AM)Z-2 Wrote: Update :

Today I decided to use Williams mug soap. I expected to get redness and itching, but I was wrong !
Everything was fine and my skin didn`t get any reaction from this soap. I am happy, at least I can use 2 soaps (the other is Palmolive stick), which works good for me.

Maybe some of ingredients in particular soaps gives me bad allergy and they make my psoriasis worse. 

I am really confused now..

p.s. from Italian soaps I tried only Proraso green, unfortunately I can`t use it because of same issue as above - allergic reaction.

Do you use any other menthol soaps?  Menthol can be an irritant.  My guess is that it is either that or the perfume.

0 417
 01-14-2019, 12:50 PM
  • Z-2
  • Ex-Lurker
User Info
I haven`t bug choice with menthol, but Arko is one of the worst examples, as soaps which I can`t use. Menthol free.

I think some of ingredients, but though to find which exactly one..

0 9
 01-16-2019, 06:42 AM
User Info
I would assume you are getting dermatitis from the fragrance.

0 417