09-13-2012, 10:31 AM
User Info
I'm a congenital anosmiac. That means that I was born without a sense of smell. So I have pretty much free reign on what soaps I try without disliking a scent (Hello, Arko, here I come!). I'm mostly going to be using unscented soaps in the future. But it leads me to the question...

How important is the scent of soap to your overall shave experience? I won't feel bad if you think I'm missing out on a vital piece of the wet shaving experience. I never had the sense of smell, so I don't miss it at all. I'm just curious as to the battle between performance of a soap to how the soap smells for all the fine gentlemen (and ladies) here.

0 32
 09-13-2012, 10:39 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
All i can say is that I am kind of envious Biggrin
For you that means that performance is the only factor, this is great! But for me scent means a lot, I would not be able suffer through the shave if the scent is not to my liking, doesn't matter how good the soap is.

88 4,233
 09-13-2012, 11:11 AM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
I want the total package if a product performs amazing but I don't like the scent it's not keeper for me but then if it smells great and doesn't perform then it's not going to hang around either

3 748
 09-13-2012, 11:13 AM
User Info
(09-13-2012, 11:11 AM)syngent Wrote: I want the total package if a product performs amazing but I don't like the scent it's not keeper for me but then if it smells great and doesn't perform then it's not going to hang around either

What he said

3 92
 09-13-2012, 11:34 AM
User Info
The scent definitely adds to the experience of the shave, with warm scents being more relaxing, while cooler scents and citrus scents tend to have a bit of a pick-me-up factor. That being said, performance is more important to me than scent. If a soap is somewhat off in scent, I can tolerate it if it works well. Now, if it's just plain offensive, I'm not going to suffer through it, but I've yet to find a soap that smells that terribly (yes, I do enjoy Arko). Many people also find themselves irritated by certain soaps simply because of the concentration of fragrance added, and I have had this happen a few times, so I'm more inclined to opt for a mild or unscented option, myself.

2 362
 09-13-2012, 11:41 AM
User Info
(09-13-2012, 10:39 AM)beartrap Wrote: All i can say is that I am kind of envious Biggrin
For you that means that performance is the only factor, this is great! But for me scent means a lot, I would not be able suffer through the shave if the scent is not to my liking, doesn't matter how good the soap is.

Agreed 100%. I hate Tabac for its scent. MdC also has a medicinal scent so I might stay away from it too. Okay, maybe the price tag is what is really driving me away from that one.

9 2,988
 09-13-2012, 11:49 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I have very limited smell, (while in the military they shot a blank cartridge into my nose) so I choose my soaps and creams for there performance first. For scent I have to rely on my wife. Ah well it probably saves me a lot of money, I don't feel the need trying out all the different ones out there.

27 1,297
 09-13-2012, 11:54 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Very important.For me,shaving is a time to pamper myself,and enjoying a good scent while shaving (and afterwards) is a way to pamper yourself too.

86 7,123
 09-13-2012, 12:13 PM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
Scent seems to be a bigger factor than I thought as I can't think of any unscented or faintly scented products that I liked.

0 204
 09-13-2012, 12:21 PM
User Info
If there weren't so many great smelling, AND great performing, soaps and creams out there, I probably wouldn't care. But since finding something that smells great and works great is so easy, I see no reason to settle for anything less. I recently finished a sample of Institut Karite. The performance was top notch but with such a mild, nondescript scent, I'll never buy any.

0 836
 09-13-2012, 12:43 PM
User Info
Scent is important, but I'll pick a "less good" scented soap that lathers well over a "good" scented one that lathers less well any day... it's not a be-all, end-all thing.

3 3,580
 09-13-2012, 12:54 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Scent will not determine what soap/cream I will use, but it will determine what soap/cream I will not use.

If I don't like the smell under my nose, I won't use the product no matter how good it is.

173 23,546
 09-13-2012, 01:09 PM
User Info
Great thread! I can grow to like almost any scent provided the performance is there.

47 1,270
 09-13-2012, 01:09 PM
User Info
For me it's performance and scent, since both contribute to a positive shaving experience. If it performs well, but I don't like the scent, then I will probably not use it, since there are so many options that do have a pleasurable scent. Likewise, if it smells great, but performs poorly, I'll look elsewhere.

Dave

7 138
 09-13-2012, 02:49 PM
User Info
I agree that performance trumps scent, but there are plenty of soaps and creams out there that give you both, so why not find and use those. There's no need to compromise in either case.

0 836
 09-13-2012, 06:42 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
Very important.

While for me performance is my number one priority, if a product performs wonderfully but smells awful, I would reach for it less often than a product that both performed just good, but smelled nice.

13 599
 09-13-2012, 06:48 PM
User Info
Performance is #1, but scent can be a deal killer if it's too strong. If the scent is mild I have great latitude in what I like. THBS, I had some mild smelling TOBS almond that was just off, and mild, but horrific smelling. No matter how good it performed it wasn't going on my face after 2 attempts.

32 6,309
 09-13-2012, 07:03 PM
User Info
Scent is very much important to me...it could be the best soap in the world, but if the scent is off, it might as well be the worst soap ever.

5 938
 09-13-2012, 10:11 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Scent is very important to me because I am very sensitive to fragrances. So, most any soap with a fragrance (based on perfumery) I can't use. Trumper Limes makes me nauseous and D R Harris Almond and Lavender are like acid on my olfactory.

I look, first of all, for a soap that does no harm. In many cases that means it must be unscented. If I'm lucky and I can get a soap I like in a natural citrus or almond scent, that's wonderful.

Provided I can stand to be around a given soap, performance is then the determining factor. My favorites are the Valobra Shave Stick (aired out in the garage), AoS Unscented or Lemon, Cella, and Mike's Natural Soaps in Lime.

- Murray

4 1,150
 09-14-2012, 01:52 AM
User Info
With all the great soaps and creams out there I find that scent is very important. The only soap I use where scent doesn't play a large part is MWF.

0 57