09-13-2012, 11:51 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1250378.JPG?m=1347557906]

Consider this thread as a "first impressions" of this brush,since today was my first shave with this English beauty.Also consider that this is only my opinion and thats it.

This brush is pretty far away from the trend of rigid backbone brushes (mostly the 2 band brushes) and also extra packed to the limits with badger hair : no , this is not the case at all.
This brush is what many old wet shavers would think fit into the category of a quality brush for its price and kind of "luxurious" feel.

When I was a die hard two band badger hair follower , I did read many things about Vulfix : floppy , moppy , not enough backbone,lack of hair...gosh,for some these brushes are terrible indeed , how on the earth did Vulfix sold any brush?! and , to be honest , didnt have the desire to try/test one.

Well,that changed and I got a Vulfix 2234 super badger ,which surprised me , since the brush wasn't a mop at all and the tips feel kind of luxurious , due to their softness and provided a nice face massage.Also the handle,which was another classical one (better in person than in pic,Im afraid!).

I was expecting the same from this 347 ,and there you go,I got it.

[Image: P1250379.JPG?m=1347557906]

This brush is packed with super badger hair.I sometimes don't understand what super badger hair is all about , but I can tell you that it feel soft like silvertip.Actually , it behaves like silvertip hair , but the tips aren't as white and other silvertip hair.I guess that Vulfix used silvertip hair not very close to the neck,so the tips aren't that whiter,and called it "super badger"

So,this brush,for me,is a silvertip badger brush,and behaves like one of its kind : flow,right amout of firm backbone and soft tips.

This brush has ,approx ,the following measures :
  • 18 mm knot
  • 47mm loft
  • 48 mm handle height
  • 95 mm total height

[Image: P1250380.JPG?m=1347557908]

The handle of this brush (well,the 37xx serie) is one of the old classic ones , and, as you can guess , since this is a "made in Isle of Mann" shaving brush , the quality is there.

If you are looking for a small brush, extra packed with hair , go for a Simpson Classic 1 or Chubby 1,no brainer,or even the Commodore X1.If you are looking for a reliable brush,which is not a wall of badger and behaves like those old brushes that grandpa used (not the boar ones , I mean ), this could be the brush for you.

As I have written , this brush is not densely packed , but I dont think that any Vulfix brush is (and no problem at all for me) :

[Image: P1250382.JPG?m=1347558008]

And you can have the following questions,which I will try to answer :

Does it works with triple milled soaps? Yes , it does , and very well.

Does it works with facelathering with circular movements? Yes , indeed.

Does it works with shaving creams too? Of course , its Vulfix!

Does it feels like a "mop" or very floppy?No , my old BK8 Kent felt almost more floppy than this one , and I didnt consider that brush "floppy".

Does it tells you the weather forecast or have GPS ? No , you re looking for something else , Im afraid.

This is a nice old style silvertip badger brush , which would make its job right : nothing extra fancy to rave about , but the good , old charming of Vulfix is there , and let me tell you , I like it.I must be an anglophile snob.Tongue

86 7,123
 09-13-2012, 12:16 PM
  • brian
  • I wear sandalwood sandles
  • THE SWAMP (Florida)
User Info
Quote:Does it tells you the weather forecast or have GPS ? No , you re looking for something else , Im afraid.

24242424 Thanks for the laugh, T, and GREAT thorough review!

11 366
 09-13-2012, 12:23 PM
User Info
Teiste: I have been a Vulfix fan for quite a while. They are terrific, well-made brushes for guys who aren't interested in spending a small fortune on a brush. You are correct that they are more traditional in style and are quite different from the super-dense two-bands. They are great with creams and not bad with soaps. They don't seem to get a lot of love on the Forums, but they should!

66 692
 09-13-2012, 12:25 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
No GPS? That's a deal breaker for me Biggrin Thanks for the review T!

88 4,233
 09-13-2012, 12:54 PM
User Info
What a cracking review style you've got, Teiste! Laughing1

I've got two brushes (well its just one really 'cos the missus 'as pinched me EJ super badge) but I mostly use my Vulfix Grosvenor 404 boar and badger or 'The Bodger' as some have affectionately nicknamed it. Brilliant brush - eats hard soaps, massages face great, creams get creamed easily and the handle is brilliant. Really do fancy a 2234, though.

1 253
 09-13-2012, 01:37 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(09-13-2012, 12:54 PM)Gairdner Wrote: What a cracking review style you've got, Teiste! Laughing1

I've got two brushes (well its just one really 'cos the missus 'as pinched me EJ super badge) but I mostly use my Vulfix Grosvenor 404 boar and badger or 'The Bodger' as some have affectionately nicknamed it. Brilliant brush - eats hard soaps, massages face great, creams get creamed easily and the handle is brilliant. Really do fancy a 2234, though.

Thanks.

Ive tried both and the 2234 is a brush that should be put into more consideration for wet shavers.

86 7,123
 09-13-2012, 04:21 PM
User Info
(09-13-2012, 12:16 PM)brian Wrote:
Quote:Does it tells you the weather forecast or have GPS ? No , you re looking for something else , Im afraid.

24242424 Thanks for the laugh, T, and GREAT thorough review!

(09-13-2012, 12:25 PM)beartrap Wrote: No GPS? That's a deal breaker for me Biggrin Thanks for the review T!

* Teiste, the brush is missing these features, then i have to look elsewhere. Hee hee. Thanks for the information.

75 20,883
 09-13-2012, 04:45 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Teiste, thanks for another excellent review. I own several Vulfix boar brushes and I know they do not get the credit they deserve. I've never thought much about Vulfix badger brushes (all the big names come to mind) but will seriously think about getting one the next time I'm looking to buy a badger brush.

Thanks to your review, it sounds like it might be the correct badger for me.

173 23,486
 09-15-2012, 09:20 AM
User Info
Awesome!

I own a Vulfix Faux Ivory 2235 Super Badger and a Vulfix Faux Horn 2234 Silvertip. I can't tell any difference in hair-quality, if there is any difference, I would say, the Super Badger hair in the 2235 is a little bit softer. I really like my Simpson brushes, but I always come back to my "Vulfixes" and I'm stunned everytime HOW LUXURIOUS both brushes are....just heavenly.Cool

Teiste, your pictures make me Babeando
I just decided, my next brush is going to be one from the Vulfix 37xx series....Biggrin

0 112
 09-15-2012, 09:22 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(09-15-2012, 09:20 AM)infabo Wrote: Awesome!

I own a Vulfix Faux Ivory 2235 Super Badger and a Vulfix Faux Horn 2234 Silvertip. I can't tell any difference in hair-quality, if there is any difference, I would say, the Super Badger hair in the 2235 is a little bit softer. I really like my Simpson brushes, but I always come back to my "Vulfixes" and I'm stunned everytime HOW LUXURIOUS both brushes are....just heavenly.Cool

I just decided, my next brush is going to be one from the Vulfix 37xx series....Biggrin

Yes my friend,I do agree too.Vulfix super badger brushes offers good quality for a "modest" price.

86 7,123
 09-15-2012, 09:25 AM
User Info
Great review T. I have a 2234 and is nice. Not too floppy, it needs a light touch to face lather with.

I read somewhere over on TSR that vulfix super is the same as Simpson best. From looking at my Simpson best brushes, I would agree with this. Simpson super seems to be more sorted and has whiter tips.

For the money, it would make a good starter brush for anyone.

7 1,179
 09-15-2012, 09:26 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(09-15-2012, 09:20 AM)infabo Wrote: Awesome!

Vocalistbob have a 377 super badger for a very good price on the B/S/T . Its a brush a little bit larger for me.Also he has a 2236 too.A brush way too large for me.However,what beautiful brushes are!

86 7,123
 09-15-2012, 09:54 AM
User Info
Hi Teiste: Thanks for the plug - they are two terrific brushes at great prices.

66 692