01-09-2019, 10:42 AM
User Info
I admit that when I first read about it I thought the poster added an extra zero to the price. I thought that $100 custom brush was a smoking deal. WRONG!!!

I went to their website and they really are asking $1,000 for their brushes! For real!!! Talk about trying to fleece the hobby. To soften the blow he is donating $100 to a charity.   Aaaaa

A6

0 123
 01-09-2019, 10:52 AM
User Info
(01-09-2019, 10:42 AM)LAParker Wrote: I admit that when I first read about it I thought the poster added an extra zero to the price. I thought that $100 custom brush was a smoking deal. WRONG!!!

I went to their website and they really are asking $1,000 for their brushes! For real!!! Talk about trying to fleece the hobby. To soften the blow he is donating $100 to a charity.   Aaaaa

A6

TOOOOOOO much.... Eyepop 
I can buy a great brush for $300.00 , AND donate $100.00 to MY favorite charity and pocket some coin.... Angel  win, WIN, WIN...... Thumbup

1 909
 01-09-2019, 11:52 AM
User Info
I can buy a fantastic Yaki Silvertip badger for $35.  Pass.

0 19
 01-09-2019, 12:16 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I’m sure it was done to generate discussion and free publicity. Mission accomplished.

48 20,226
 01-09-2019, 12:37 PM
User Info
Don't see anything wrong with it.  You get a brush that is unique.

0 417
 01-09-2019, 01:13 PM
User Info
I was also shocked at that price. However, it's probably a good way (from a business perspective) to stay focused on the most efficient way of making money (selling a standardized product). It's the same reason Wolfman stopped offering endless combinations of materials, blade gaps, engravings, and other customizations. It's way too time consuming and not worth the effort. Once you have a reputation that you're willing to do custom modifications to everyone's purchase, it's hard to break out of that. I'm sure this is his way of saying "if you want a custom product, you're going to have to pay for it".

5 106
 01-09-2019, 02:00 PM
User Info
DG can charge whatever absurd and ridiculous prices it wants, and guys can pay whatever absurd and ridiculous prices they want.  I view this as an obvious marketing gimmick designed to create publicity, hype and hysteria.  Fortunately, we have highly regarded brush makers who produce superb brushes and do not engage in this type of conduct.   

If we want to talk about brush makers donating to charity, there is an interesting case study.  Badger and Blade has an annual charity auction of shaving goods to benefit breast cancer research.   The 2018 auction was held last October.  Paladin Shaving and Simpson collaborated to produce three brushes with Paladin handles and Simpson Manchurian knots.  Those brushes, which are truly exceptional and unique, sold at the auction for $800, $675, and $760, respectively.  Rudy Vey also donated three of his great brushes, with two of them having Shavemac knots.  100% of the sale proceeds went to breast cancer research.  That's charity.

54 8,458
 01-09-2019, 03:59 PM
User Info
I don’t own a Declaration brush or even one of their knots but for some reason, I doubt they need any reason to drum up talk about the products they provide. With that being said, I will NEVER own a custom Declaration brush due to pricing but that doesn’t mean his time and efforts to make someone else a one off, custom brush isn’t worth what he is asking.

The same applies to any other product as well. How many people on the forums would line up to be able to buy a one off, custom made to their spec, Wolfman Razor as was offered years ago. I am pretty sure no one here would be badmouthing them either.

31 305
 01-09-2019, 04:00 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
(01-09-2019, 02:00 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: DG can charge whatever absurd and ridiculous prices it wants, and guys can pay whatever absurd and ridiculous prices they want.  I view this as an obvious marketing gimmick designed to create publicity, hype and hysteria.  Fortunately, we have highly regarded brush makers who produce superb brushes and do not engage in this type of conduct.   

If we want to talk about brush makers donating to charity, there is an interesting case study.  Badger and Blade has an annual charity auction of shaving goods to benefit breast cancer research.   The 2018 auction was held last October.  Paladin Shaving and Simpson collaborated to produce three brushes with Paladin handles and Simpson Manchurian knots.  Those brushes, which are truly exceptional and unique, sold at the auction for $800, $675, and $760, respectively.  Rudy Vey also donated three of his great brushes, with two of them having Shavemac knots.  100% of the sale proceeds went to breast cancer research.  That's charity.

I agree 100%.

65 5,295
 01-09-2019, 04:39 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
I have no problem with his approach to this initiative (though I certainly won’t be buying one). He is a fine brushmaker (I own two), and he is approaching this project thoughtfully. I enjoyed reading his narrative on the process. To me, it looks like someone can spend many hours of enjoyment with Scott creating a customized beauty. And if one doesn’t like the first product, one can try again. Novel, interesting, not for everybody, but I suspect he’ll get a taker or two.

10 575
 01-09-2019, 04:42 PM
User Info
What I find interesting is DG was very specific in his description of who should/should not pay for his custom service. He also indicated by offering such custom service it would take him “x” number of hours away from doing other things. For some of you to insinuate he is trying to rip someone off is plain wrong. If you think the custom service is too much then you are the person he is telling not to pay for the service.

These comments do nothing to further the shaving community in general and plays into what I have called “shaving politics”. It is funny and sad at the same time. Would you trash a TSN approved Artisan if they felt their time was just as valueable? DG also indicated shaving products were his only source of income so who are you all to bash what he feels is a fair price for his custom and time consuming services?

31 305
 01-09-2019, 04:56 PM
User Info
Is it expensive? Yes, absolutely, but...

I would like to add that a ton of time will go into making this truly special brush for the client. Think about it, up to three brush resin failures allotted for post turning and a full refund if it’s not what you want or 100% desire. It’s one of a kind and his knots are remarkable.

The owner even makes note that no one should buy it. Unless....unless they truly cannot live without a custom DG.

It’s a free market, if people pay it than so be it. His product must be the cats meow if it pulls that kind of cash.

20 338
 01-09-2019, 08:18 PM
User Info
To each his own - but the hunk of acrylic might be worth $35 (there's nothing special about the ones I saw on the site), the knot maybe $60 if he raises his own badgers in his back yard; and the labor, it takes about 1 to 2 hours to turn and finish an acrylic handle - which is where the expense primarily lie.

Admittedly, he's including 3 attempts to get the handle right for his clients, but c'mon.

Again, to each his own - but I couldn't look friends or family in the face were I ever caught having spent $1,000 for a shaving brush.

And honestly, the brushes I saw on the site looked pretty basic; they weren't that special, let alone unique.  

"But, that's just my opinion.  I could be wrong."  - Dennis Miller

0 476
 01-09-2019, 09:13 PM
User Info
We're talking about it, and - as Phil point out - mission accomplished.

In a way, it's a rather clever way to get some viral marketing in; even if you don't sell any brushes at that price, you'll get the publicity.

3 5,947
 01-10-2019, 12:20 AM
User Info
Gentlemen,

Firstly, let me caveat my comments with the prefix I honestly know nothing of this brand or their brushes.

It would appear that they make exceedingly good shaving brushes judging by customers experiences above.

It all boils down to the same thing. The market will decide whether a custom brush, a run of Limited Edition brushes or an established series of designs succeeds or fails.

For those that buy, good for you. For those that don’t, there’s never been more choice elsewhere.

Mark

PS - Happy New Year to everybody associated with TSN.

0 650
 01-10-2019, 05:39 AM
User Info
(01-09-2019, 09:13 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: We're talking about it, and - as Phil point out - mission accomplished.

In a way, it's a rather clever way to get some viral marketing in; even if you don't sell any brushes at that price, you'll get the publicity.

Truthfully, DG doesn’t 100% need better marketing. Their brushes sell within SECONDS when the post to website (aside from this custom).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 338
 01-10-2019, 08:50 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(01-10-2019, 12:20 AM)A.E. Simpson 1919 Wrote: Gentlemen,

Firstly, let me caveat my comments with the prefix I honestly know nothing of this brand or their brushes.

It would appear that they make exceedingly good shaving brushes judging by customers experiences above.

It all boils down to the same thing. The market will decide whether a custom brush, a run of Limited Edition brushes or an established series of designs succeeds or fails.

For those that buy, good for you. For those that don’t, there’s never been more choice elsewhere.

Mark

PS - Happy New Year to everybody associated with TSN.

Same to you and your team, Mark!

Having never owned or even tried a DG brush, I personally have no idea of how interesting these might be, but then again my main focus when it comes to shaving brushes is the quality of the bristles as well as the knot. The handle is, for me, more of a means to an end. Even though I do of course have my preferences, I'm seldom impressed by a shaving brush handle. I mean, there's nothing particularly special with most Rooney Finest or Simpson's Super 2-band brush handles, but the knots... oh my. They are special indeed.

His reasoning for pricing the service at 4x the cost of a regular brush seems a little off as well. While I can see that it may take some time to tune the handle to the customer's preferences, I don't think he'll be creating and glueing a knot to every one of those failed handles, so frankly I do have a hard time fully understanding the reasoning behind it.

In my opinion, you have (or you should have) to build some rapport before going for something like this but, as always, the market will decide if it was a good bet or not. And by market I don't mean his sales but actual resales, which IMO is usually the best way of how to better gauge the value of shaving paraphernalia, as well as most collector's items of any kind. You can almost always find people willing to pay for very exclusive items, but more often then not they are resold at absurdly different values, be it higher or lower ones.

26 5,149
 01-10-2019, 09:14 AM
User Info
(01-09-2019, 04:42 PM)FloridaCreekIndian Wrote: He also indicated by offering such custom service it would take him “x” number of hours away from doing other things.

Lets not get to carried away here. Scott spends night and day, every day in the chat room portion of the reddit wetshavers forum talking mostly about video games and other stuff of course.

Trying to spin it is as anything other than what it is sounds as crazy as spending $1,000 for a custom brush and some private quality time with Scott.

0 123
 01-10-2019, 11:34 AM
User Info
Scott/DG offered a service with the caveat of not using it unless you just had to have a custom brush and you accuse him of “fleecing the hobby”. Pretty strong accusation and really bad form in my opinion. Spin that all you want. If he was an artisan on this site or one of the “flavor of the day” vendors, not a word would have been said.

31 305
 01-10-2019, 01:11 PM
User Info
Many, many years ago, there was this guy who sold genuine gold plated Quail poop jewelry, in magazines, I think maybe National Geographic.
Any way, he can do as he likes. I don't think the Quail poop guy is still in business. Lesson learned ?
If you can sell something for $$$$$$$$$$$$$, good for him, more power....Best of luck.... Smile

1 909