01-10-2019, 03:52 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
I have never owned a DG, and probably never will. I am not a fan of their handles. 

I don't feel there is anything wrong with his price. He clearly states that he would advise you to order a handle from a number of artisan makers and send to him for a reknot service. Sounds to me like making handles isn't his thing. It may be too time consuming, not enough profit, or he doesn't enjoy it. 

His full DG brushes do sell out in seconds. I will give him that much. I don't think he needs the publicity if this is the case. 

The main reason I do not mind his price is that they are HIS brushes that HE is making. I've seen too may times before, buyers buying "difficult to acquire" items and then flip them for 2-3x the price they paid. Now, DG brushes do not fetch the mark up prices that Wolfman's do, but they are on the auction site. 

I say if you want to pay a crazy price to get a custom brush, then go ahead. If he wants to charge a crazy price to listen to you, make you your brush, and make some of that mark up money, then go ahead. 

I for one will stick to the artisans that are easily accessible, great to work with, charitable, helpful members of the forum... and to top it off, make handles I like.

99 1,912
 01-10-2019, 04:30 PM
User Info
I really think it was done so people will stop asking Declaration for custom brushes!

4 248
 01-10-2019, 04:47 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
(01-10-2019, 04:30 PM)discerningbev Wrote: I really think it was done so people will stop asking Declaration for custom brushes!

Maybe? Why not just declare that they will no longer be taking custom orders? 

Simple.

66 5,472
 01-10-2019, 06:28 PM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
Hmmm.

Seems like an offering for a grand ought to include the words "genuine ivory."

65 1,870
 01-11-2019, 03:15 AM
User Info
(01-10-2019, 04:30 PM)discerningbev Wrote: I really think it was done so people will stop asking Declaration for custom brushes!

This plus for the people wanting a one of a kind brush. Or even perhaps to show off a $1000 brush.

18 268
 01-11-2019, 05:47 AM
User Info
(01-11-2019, 03:15 AM)SweetReason Wrote:

This plus for the people wanting a one of a kind brush. Or even perhaps to show off a $1000 brush.

Reminds me of the PT Barnum quote, there is a sucker born every minute.

I thought about buying one of his brushes before but his handles look pretty klunky and kinda amateurish. I was going to buy a custom handle from another brush maker and send it to him for a knot but once I started it seemed like a hassle. The pics I've seen show his knots installed sort of twisted in the handles. I figured I was better off buying a brush already put together from a different artisan.

0 85
 01-11-2019, 08:12 AM
User Info
Looks like a run of the mill brush to me.

22 842
 01-11-2019, 09:17 AM
User Info
(01-11-2019, 05:47 AM)tubular Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 03:15 AM)SweetReason Wrote:

Reminds me of the PT Barnum quote, there is a sucker born every minute.

I thought about buying one of his brushes before but his handles look pretty klunky and kinda amateurish. I was going to buy a custom handle from another brush maker and send it to him for a knot but once I started it seemed like a hassle. The pics I've seen show his knots installed sort of twisted in the handles. I figured I was better off buying a brush already put together from a different artisan.
[Image: d4xgdZG.jpg]

70 5,384
 01-11-2019, 09:30 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
People have the choice to spend their money how they like.  I doubt anyone here has made a custom brush and don't have much understanding of what it takes let alone the time to do so.  From pouring the blank, turning, sanding and polishing.  Then to hand tie a knot specific to the customers specifications is a pretty large task on it's own.  Lord knows I won't be spending $1k on a shaving brush, but to each their own.  I will say I've spent thousands of dollars on shaving brushes, just to try, keep, sell & trade.  There aren't too many brushes I haven't tried.  At one point I had 8 Wiborgs (6 of them custom) sitting in my brush cabinet and the number of people trying to buy one off of me was incredible.  I wound up selling all of them as well as a few other rare brushes when I bought a house here recently.  So to make a long story short, shave brushes can be very subjective.  One person can say DG brushes are amateurish (they haven't obviously tried one as the knots stack up with the best on the market, if not better) to someone who might be willing to drop a paycheck on one without a blink of an eye.  To each their own I guess, I love my DG brushes and reach for one of them more often than most others I own (which is a lot!!!).

68 770
 01-11-2019, 09:55 AM
User Info
To each his own. I never heard of the company until this post. Be cool to seen videos of how he ties knots. I enjoy all those "How It's Made" videos. Only mention I found online was by the owner saying it was a trade secret on a Reddit AMA

3 850
 01-11-2019, 11:57 AM
User Info
I have several DG knots in other artisan handles.  His normal brush prices are not exorbitant, but as @SimpleShave17 stated, they sell out within seconds.  This drives a lot of pent up demand. 

Selling a $300 Declaration Grooming brush for $1000 isn't all that much different than a $350ish Wolfman razor going for a $1000.  Only difference is the artisan is booking the profit and not a reseller on the secondary market. 

My DG knots are great performers, very much in line with the best in my den.  The knotting service is a great option if you can find a handle you love elsewhere.

7 159
 01-11-2019, 03:40 PM
User Info
I can understand someone not wanting to pay the asking price for any product or service no matter what it is. What I don’t understand about what is going on here is all the salt and personal attacks on an individual that you don’t even know. It reminds me of similar drama about a certain soap that is hard to come by and other (insert silly drama here) in the past. It’s shameful behavior.

0 29
 01-11-2019, 04:05 PM
User Info
(01-11-2019, 03:40 PM)Old_Hiker Wrote: I can understand someone not wanting to pay the asking price for any product or service no matter what it is. What I don’t understand about what is going on here is all the salt and personal attacks on an individual that you don’t even know. It reminds me of similar drama about a certain soap that is hard to come by and other (insert silly drama here) in the past. It’s shameful behavior.
Really, only a matter of time before the 4channers made their way to this thread.

Salt and shameful is taking this thread to Reddit and then insulting the entire community here. Pretty civil discussion going on here from what I read.

Now this is a different story.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wetshaving/comments/aezaqn

No one attacked Scott. What was discussed are run the mill handle designs being sold for a $1k along with white glove treatment. Same white glove treatment most of us already receive for brushes that cost under $200.

Sent from my Samsung S8+

1 174
 01-11-2019, 04:15 PM
User Info
(01-11-2019, 04:05 PM)jaxstraww Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 03:40 PM)Old_Hiker Wrote: I can understand someone not wanting to pay the asking price for any product or service no matter what it is. What I don’t understand about what is going on here is all the salt and personal attacks on an individual that you don’t even know. It reminds me of similar drama about a certain soap that is hard to come by and other (insert silly drama here) in the past. It’s shameful behavior.
Really, only a matter of time before the 4channers made their way to this thread.

Salt and shameful is taking this thread to Reddit and then insulting the entire community here. Pretty civil discussion going on here from what I read.

No one attacked Scott. What was discussed are run the mill handle designs being sold for a $1k along with white glove treatment. Same white glove treatment most of us already receive for brushes that cost under $200.

Sent from my Samsung S8+

I don’t know what 4channers means. I assume you are making an assumption about me and leveling an attempted insult. Regarding the linked thread, I don’t approve of the behavior in that thread either. The thread is locked and I’m unable to say so there.

I don’t know what I did to anger you, but I think I will just have to live with the disappointment.

0 29
 01-11-2019, 04:30 PM
User Info
(01-11-2019, 04:15 PM)Old_Hiker Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 04:05 PM)jaxstraww Wrote:

Sent from my Samsung S8+

I don’t know what 4channers means. I assume you are making an assumption about me and leveling an attempted insult. Regarding the linked thread, I don’t approve of the behavior in that thread either. The thread is locked and I’m unable to say so there.

I don’t know what I did to anger you, but I think I will just have to live with the disappointment.
No insults. You are a frequent Reddit user that has 28 posts on this forum and I cant find one post in 2018 unless I'm missing it. Essentially you came out of dormancy to say shame to everyone here for discussing a $1k shaving brush and the reasoning for the dollar amount.

The more this gets discussed the more crazy that amount looks. There are many brush makers giving that same white glove treatment with far better looking handles. He does tie his own knots which is a nice plus. You need to value that as the purchaser.

So far nothing written here contains a 10th of the salt this forum received on Reddit.

Sent from my Samsung S8+

1 174
 01-11-2019, 04:32 PM
User Info
(01-11-2019, 04:30 PM)jaxstraww Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 04:15 PM)Old_Hiker Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 04:05 PM)jaxstraww Wrote: Really, only a matter of time before the 4channers made their way to this thread.

Sent from my Samsung S8+

No insults. You are a frequent Reddit user that has 28 posts on this forum and I cant find one post in 2018 unless I'm missing it. Essentially you came out of dormancy to say shame to everyone here for discussing a $1k shaving brush and the reasoning for the dollar amount.

The more this gets discussed the more crazy that amount looks. There are many brush makers giving that same white glove treatment with far better looking handles. He does tie his own knots which is a nice plus. You need to value that as the purchaser.

So far nothing written here contains a 10th of the salt this forum received on Reddit.

Sent from my Samsung S8+

K. Enjoy.

0 29
 01-11-2019, 06:39 PM
User Info
I don’t understand the animosity or the controversy: if someone wants to buy something, the price is between the buyer and seller. Why would anyone else care?

1 504
 01-11-2019, 06:50 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
(01-11-2019, 06:39 PM)bkatbamna Wrote: I don’t understand the animosity or the controversy: if someone wants to buy something, the price is between the buyer and seller. Why would anyone else care?

Agreed. I’m about to have dinner at a fancy steakhouse with several friends to celebrate the tens of millions one of them just realized through the sale of his company. I suspect he’ll pay (and the New York strip with no sides costs $76), but I’d rather go to a nice Asian or Ethiopian restaurant. We are all different.

11 647
 01-11-2019, 06:54 PM
User Info
The very first post regarding the custom brush service was an attack. I suggest you look up the definition of what fleece means in the context it was used.

31 324
 01-11-2019, 07:03 PM
User Info
(01-11-2019, 06:54 PM)FloridaCreekIndian Wrote: The very first post regarding the custom brush service was an attack. I suggest you look up the definition of what fleece means in the context it was used.
Wasn't an attack. Not everyday someone tries to sell a $1k brush. The more I read it the more nuts it sounds. I agree that if you want to drop that coin for a brush that's on you. But come on man. Almost all the custom brush guys give that kind of service and ask for a fraction of that cost. We get it......you like Scott. As we like Rob, Milton, Leo and Peter but if they tried selling a $1k brush they would be getting it as well.

An attack is what was posted over on Reddit. This is a discussion on a $1,000 badger brush........

Sent from my Samsung S8+

1 174