01-11-2019, 07:04 PM
User Info
He's not trying to take advantage of other people's work. It's his own work. He can sell it for whatever he wants as far as I'm concerned.

46 1,282
 01-11-2019, 07:14 PM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
(01-11-2019, 07:03 PM)jaxstraww Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 06:54 PM)FloridaCreekIndian Wrote: The very first post regarding the custom brush service was an attack. I suggest you look up the definition of what fleece means in the context it was used.
Wasn't an attack. Not everyday someone tries to sell a $1k brush. The more I read it the more nuts it sounds. I agree that if you want to drop that coin for a brush that's on you. But come on man. Almost all the custom brush guys give that kind of service and ask for a fraction of that cost. We get it......you like Scott. As we like Rob, Milton, Leo and Peter but if they tried selling a $1k brush they would be getting it as well.

An attack is what was posted over on Reddit. This is a discussion on a $1,000 badger brush........

Sent from my Samsung S8+
No offense, but how long does it take Rob, Milton, Leo or Peter to hand tie a knot, especially in a hair that's very highly regarded and sought after?  Again, I love Scott's brushes, but no way will I drop $1k on a brush.

66 769
 01-11-2019, 07:27 PM
User Info
(01-11-2019, 07:14 PM)ddk13 Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 07:03 PM)jaxstraww Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 06:54 PM)FloridaCreekIndian Wrote: The very first post regarding the custom brush service was an attack. I suggest you look up the definition of what fleece means in the context it was used.
Wasn't an attack. Not everyday someone tries to sell a $1k brush. The more I read it the more nuts it sounds. I agree that if you want to drop that coin for a brush that's on you. But come on man. Almost all the custom brush guys give that kind of service and ask for a fraction of that cost. We get it......you like Scott. As we like Rob, Milton, Leo and Peter but if they tried selling a $1k brush they would be getting it as well.

An attack is what was posted over on Reddit. This is a discussion on a $1,000 badger brush........

Sent from my Samsung S8+
No offense, but how long does it take Rob, Milton, Leo or Peter to hand tie a knot, especially in a hair that's very highly regarded and sought after?  Again, I love Scott's brushes, but no way will I drop $1k on a brush.
No reason to start with no offense Wink

It is a discussion and at least you didn't curse to make a point.

I said it above. Scott ties his own knots. That is very unique. Do you feel that alone is worth $1k though?

I'm not sure the others tie their own knots but for 99% of the wetshavers most of the knots they source are usable.

We need to back up and look at everything. Scott has been making brushes for a bit now that included hand tied knots. The upcharge here is for white glove treatment.....kinda like when you remodel your kitchen. You get assistance in scoping out and designing the project. There are a ton of views on this whole subject expressed in the thread. My view is that the white glove treatment being offered up is the same many other brush makers do without the exponential upcharge. If the handle had gold inlays or a diamond included I can see dropping a grand on a brush for shaving your face.........I also believe anyone can sell something for what they feel its worth. Doesn't mean anyone would buy it but it is theirs to sell at a price they feel is warranted.

If anyone thought that someone selling a brush for a grand wasn't going to get allot of attention your not thinking straight.

Sent from my Samsung S8+

1 173
 01-11-2019, 07:35 PM
User Info
I don't own a single Declaration product (brush, knot, soap) and I have never had any contact with Scott whatsoever. I saw the original post, went to the DG website to see what all the fuss was about and read what he was offering. Basically telling everyone NOT to purchase that overly expensive custom brush option followed shortly thereafter by some bashing by members of this great shaving community. 

Regarding your comment that I like Scott and "WE" like Rob, Milton, Leo, and Peter is just a dumbass thing to say to begin with. I have purchased brushes from Leo and Peter just this week. I have not yet purchased anything from Rob because everything I have seen and liked has always been purchased before I could get to it. So whatever you tried to insinuate, just doesn't cut it.

31 322
 01-11-2019, 07:43 PM
User Info
(01-11-2019, 07:35 PM)FloridaCreekIndian Wrote: I don't own a single Declaration product (brush, knot, soap) and I have never had any contact with Scott whatsoever. I saw the original post, went to the DG website to see what all the fuss was about and read what he was offering. Basically telling everyone NOT to purchase that overly expensive custom brush option followed shortly thereafter by some bashing by members of this great shaving community. 

Regarding your comment that I like Scott and "WE" like Rob, Milton, Leo, and Peter is just a dumbass thing to say to begin with. I have purchased brushes from Leo and Peter just this week. I have not yet purchased anything from Rob because everything I have seen and liked has always been purchased before I could get to it. So whatever you tried to insinuate, just doesn't cut it.
I have no idea what skin you have in this to get defensive especially if you have no Declaration products which is odd in this hobby.......

As far as selling a brush... making a post not to buy said brush....then a forum having a discussion about the $1000 brush to have the thread posted on Reddit and then Reddit attacking the forum which was discussing a $1000 brush..........eventful post.

Sent from my Samsung S8+

1 173
 01-11-2019, 07:59 PM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
(01-11-2019, 07:27 PM)jaxstraww Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 07:14 PM)ddk13 Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 07:03 PM)jaxstraww Wrote: Wasn't an attack. Not everyday someone tries to sell a $1k brush. The more I read it the more nuts it sounds. I agree that if you want to drop that coin for a brush that's on you. But come on man. Almost all the custom brush guys give that kind of service and ask for a fraction of that cost. We get it......you like Scott. As we like Rob, Milton, Leo and Peter but if they tried selling a $1k brush they would be getting it as well.

Sent from my Samsung S8+
No reason to start with no offense Wink

It is a discussion and at least you didn't curse to make a point.

I said it above. Scott ties his own knots. That is very unique. Do you feel that alone is worth $1k though?

I'm not sure the others tie their own knots but for 99% of the wetshavers most of the knots they source are usable.

We need to back up and look at everything.  Scott has been making brushes for a bit now that included hand tied knots. The upcharge here is for white glove treatment.....kinda like when you remodel your kitchen. You get assistance in scoping out and designing the project. There are a ton of views on this whole subject expressed in the thread. My view is that the white glove treatment being offered up is the same many other brush makers do without the exponential upcharge. If the handle had gold inlays or a diamond included I can see dropping a grand on a brush for shaving your face.........I also believe anyone can sell something for what they feel its worth. Doesn't mean anyone would buy it but it is theirs to sell at a price they feel is warranted.  

If anyone thought that someone selling a brush for a grand wasn't going to get allot of attention your not thinking straight.

Sent from my Samsung S8+
No offense, but I can reply how I want. Wink  LOL!

I can get a $10 brush on ebay, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to be up to the standards of the artisan's you listed, but I think 99% of wetshavers would find it usable.  Desirable, not so much.  

Do I think it's worth $1000?  I'm not going to buy one, but I'm betting there are those that will.  The real question is not do I think it's worth $1k, but how many people think it is?

66 769
 01-11-2019, 08:04 PM
User Info
We've let this thread have a good run.  Everyone's had a reasonable opportunity to express different views.  However, the discussion has reached the limits of constructiveness and we are closing the thread.   It's a positive reflection on our members that the discussion here remained generally civil.

58 9,128