09-13-2012, 12:32 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Hi, gang. I just received a razor that I won on the 'bay. I was bidding on the Super Speed Red Tip, however, the seller did not have lots of info or good pictures (it was badly soap scummed), so I scored it for a price of a regular SS. When it arrived today and I was amazed to discover it is an English made Gillette. A first for me. It cleaned up beautifully with scrubbing bubbles and other than heavy soap scum layer has no flaws. The red paint is a bit chipped, but that's normal. The finish is almost perfect. I have never shaved with a red tip and never with an English Gillette. I believe they called these razors "Rocket" instead of Super Speed in England. This razor is beautiful, heavy (66 grams on my gem scale) and well-made. I have read that the Rockets are better made than the Super Speeds, but so far I have not noticed much difference between this razor and my other two SS: NDC 40's (notched bar) and '65 flare tip. The handle on the Red Tip is much thicker in diameter, but I am not sure if that's the case with the American Red Tip as well. All in all it is a lovely shaving tool to behold. I put a blade into it and saw the blade gap visibly bigger than on my SS's. I will shave with it next and see how I like it. I am wondering if anyone knows anything about this razor. What I could find on Wiki is that it's fairly uncommon and the picture of the one there differed from mine a little, though the other identifiers matched: there is a roman III stamped in the underside and BRIT.PAT. 694093 on the inside.

Here is the picture from the Wiki:

[Image: 6xOWk.jpg]

It also has characteristic end caps that are different shape than US SS's.

Here are some picture of it.

Please comment if you know anything about this razor and what I should expect from it as far as a shave. I've recently tried Gillette New LC for my first ever OC shave and liked it, but could not shave more than a few times in a row without getting razor burn. I did like the first few aggressive shaves I got, though. This is what set me on a quest for a more aggressive Super Speed. I've been using my NDC 40's SS for a while without rotating it out because I liked it so much, but after trying the New I wanted something more aggressive than the 40's SS. I am now using the EJ DE89 Barley Chrome as it seems to have a tiny bit more bite than the SS. I will also be using the New again soon. However, I want a TTO daily driver that gives good medium-aggressive shaves. I hope this red tip is it.

25 1,705
 09-13-2012, 12:40 PM
User Info
Looks gorgeous - if it shaves half as good as it looks you're in for a treat Smile

3 3,558
 09-13-2012, 01:08 PM
User Info
I have a couple rockets (flare tip & blue tip).

they are more solid feel in the hand and may shave a bit more aggressive then the US super speed versions, but it's probably in my head or may have something to do with the weight.

i believe they are heavier, maybe someone can confirm.

8 2,718
 09-13-2012, 01:18 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Are you sure that is a Rocket? It doesn't appear to have the "Rocket gap" between the twist knob and the main handle...

35 1,732
 09-13-2012, 01:55 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
That is one beautiful razor. Congratulations and happy shaving. The red tips were Gillette's best Super Speed razor and shaver. If you look on the bottom plate it should say where it was made.

100 12,438
 09-13-2012, 02:47 PM
User Info
(09-13-2012, 01:18 PM)Tonality Wrote: Are you sure that is a Rocket? It doesn't appear to have the "Rocket gap" between the twist knob and the main handle...

yep. That seems like a British Superspeed to me, instead of a Rocket. "Made in England" underneath the head, and no gap between the hadle and the knob.

You can see here a British advertisement of the SuperSpeeds, taken from the page of Mr. razor: http://www.mr-razor.com/Werbung/C%201957...-Speed.jpg

2 5,527
 09-13-2012, 04:14 PM
User Info
Vladimir, congratulations!

75 20,883
 09-13-2012, 04:49 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Yep, looks like a British Super Speed. I also didn't see the gap between the TTO knob and the handle and was not sure. That's why I put "Rocket" in parenthesis in the title. I was not aware that English Super Speed existed. I thought they were all rockets. So many Gillettes! Anyone know the approximate age of this thing? Or at least a range of years it was made? It feels very good in hand. Thicker handle and weighs in at 66 grams (vs. 55 grams for my 40's US SS). Very nice piece of shaving gear. I am very excited. Can't wait to shave with it.

25 1,705
 09-13-2012, 06:24 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
Cool razor, I am coveting one of these myself eventally.

135 1,946
 09-13-2012, 06:28 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Congrats red tips are nice shavers

115 1,692
 09-14-2012, 11:16 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Nice score congrats.

1 3,507
 09-14-2012, 11:42 AM
User Info
(09-13-2012, 01:08 PM)Bruce Wrote: I have a couple rockets (flare tip & blue tip).

they are more solid feel in the hand and may shave a bit more aggressive then the US super speed versions, but it's probably in my head or may have something to do with the weight.

i believe they are heavier, maybe someone can confirm.

Red Tip US/UK Superspeeds are 65g
Red Tip Rocket are 69g

3 198
 09-14-2012, 11:47 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I think the heads on the Rocket and UK Superspeed is the same as it has the same patent and aggressiveness (roman III) stamps. Not sure how they compare to US red tip. anyone know?

25 1,705
 09-25-2012, 08:18 PM
User Info
Very nice score and a great shaver. One of the best non-adjustable TTO's anyone could have in their collection.

That is definitely a keeper, congrats Biggrin

5 833
 09-25-2012, 08:48 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(09-25-2012, 08:18 PM)Azarius Wrote: Very nice score and a great shaver. One of the best non-adjustable TTO's anyone could have in their collection.

That is definitely a keeper, congrats Biggrin

Arley, thanks, but guess what. After a few shaves with it I decided it was too mild. Those dang OC's really spoiled me for a more aggressive shave. I just could not get as close a shave with the Red Tip. So I put it on BST for trade. I was looking to get a vintage slant for it because it has a different slicing action, but I ended up with a vintage gold Progress. I just received the Progress today and tried it and it was so good I may have to pull back on the OC's... Nah, but Progress gave me one of the best shaves I ever had. Comfortable, easy, relaxing BBS. The New LC is way more tense a shave for me. Anyway, I am no longer in possession of this wonderful Red Tip, nice as it was, I decided to try something different. I never tried a slant or an adjustable. I think my Super Speeds will start trickling over to BST now. Not the OC's, though. I am still very much intrigued with them. I am going to get an Old next weekend in almost unused condition (!!!). Can't wait to try that. Also, there is a Bostonian in an elevator box that is just not letting me be. That has a New Improved (NI) head and that beautiful silver plated finish. Dang it, OCRAD.

25 1,705
 09-29-2012, 09:57 AM
  • MikeGJ
  • Grand Junction, CO
User Info
Very nice!

1 107