09-13-2012, 02:19 PM
User Info
Hi folks,

I've a rather nice vintage Rooney butterscotch keyhole on its way to me and I'd like to get it re-knotted. The friend I bought it from feels it would benefit from a re-knot and I am of the same mind. One day I'll do a re-knot myself but this butterscotch brush is just a little too precious for a first attempt and I'd hate to mess it up.

As I love the look of two band badger with butterscotch, I was thinking of a TGN Finest knot which ain't too expensive either. I reckon its about 24mm diameter wise but I might be wrong.

Is there anyone on here willing to take the job on, please? I'm in Scotland but would be very happy to post it Stateside.

Thanks in advance. Smile

1 253
 09-13-2012, 04:22 PM
User Info
Graeme, i would love to help, but i lack those skills. Good luck to you. Make sure you show us the before and after pictures.

75 20,883
 09-13-2012, 05:47 PM
User Info
It's one thing to screw up ones own project, quite another to destroy someone elses.

32 6,308
 09-13-2012, 06:10 PM
User Info
+1

I have no idea if steam would damage the Rubber stuff whose name escapes me....

9 2,988
 09-14-2012, 03:11 AM
User Info
Having had a chat with Bruce who very kindly pm'd me with excellent advice, I'll have a go myself when said brush arrives. I'm going to do it the old way of cutting the hair, pulling it with pliers and using a dremel to finish up. The Rooney sticker on it is in quite good nick for its age and I'd hate to lose it. Don't place any value in stickers usually but this tells of the brushes heritage, history and age.

Again, I just like to thank Bruce publicly for being so kind and full of encouraging advice.

1 253
 09-17-2012, 07:10 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
May I suggest you protect the sticker with a couple coats of Testor's Dullcote?

(09-14-2012, 03:11 AM)Gairdner Wrote: Having had a chat with Bruce who very kindly pm'd me with excellent advice, I'll have a go myself when said brush arrives. I'm going to do it the old way of cutting the hair, pulling it with pliers and using a dremel to finish up. The Rooney sticker on it is in quite good nick for its age and I'd hate to lose it. Don't place any value in stickers usually but this tells of the brushes heritage, history and age.

Again, I just like to thank Bruce publicly for being so kind and full of encouraging advice.

47 1,377
 09-17-2012, 08:06 PM
User Info
Graeme, I'm so glad you're going to tackle the job yourself. I'm certain any number of us would do it with you standing right there watching, so that if something went wrong you'd know there was nothing to be done about it. Or show you the tools to have you do it yourself with us standing by to lend help.

You'll do fine. Just take your time, and if you have questions get back to us and we can lend a hand through the 'net. Pictures would help with that.

32 6,308
 09-18-2012, 02:30 AM
User Info
Hey SD, that's jolly kind of you squire! Will wait to later in the month when I can afford the knot and get it ordered from TGN. 24mm two band finest XH bulb shape.

1 253