01-16-2019, 09:16 PM
  • BigT
User Info
Gillette!, of all companies. Really? What say the members?

0 36
 01-16-2019, 10:32 PM
User Info
I say that if people are offended by a commercial that is hooked into the zeitgeist, then perhaps they'll need to reevaluate where and who they take their clues to proper behaviour from Smile

Family, friends, perhaps religion... those are the ones who I feel can give me guidance as how to act. Commercials and advertisements are just noise in that regard.

As an aside, lets keep this thread clean and above board Gents.

3 6,495
 01-17-2019, 07:28 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I don't put too much stock in advertising.

I like and use Gillette blades.  I don't like paying more for my blades so Gillette can pay for a giant ad campaign.  More so if that campaign attempts to manipulate my personal behavior.

I'd much prefer an ad that simply stated that their blades were quality products that are sharp and work well.

178 1,667
 01-17-2019, 07:33 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Stereotyping and publicity-seeking at its worst.  But as PT Barnum said, “There is no such thing as bad publicity.”  Shame on P&G/Gillette.

9 1,104
 01-17-2019, 09:30 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
We could use this uproar from the masses to our advantage though in evangelizing the benefits (and cost savings?) of traditional wet-shaving (DE and/or SE).
I mean if the unwashed-heathens want to boycott Gillette because of "toxic masculinity" backlash, we may as well offer a better alternative...right?

48 2,125
 01-17-2019, 10:11 AM
User Info
(01-17-2019, 07:33 AM)Rufus Wrote: Stereotyping and publicity-seeking at its worst.  But as PT Barnum said, “There is no such thing as bad publicity.”  Shame on P&G/Gillette.

My thoughts as well.

56 1,265
 01-17-2019, 12:20 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I've read multiple threads about this ad.

I'm afraid that most miss the point of the ad. It's not a political ad. It's about the human behavior. I can't understand how these two are being confused.

The message is: learn the young generation to show respect, parents have a responsibility towards society. If your kids don't act with respect, you're responsible for that. It's not the society to be blamed or the school. It's all about the things we learn from our home.

The majority of the older people can't see that our society has changed a lot. I can't blame them. They don't like changes.

I think it's a pretty intelligent ad. Not all of them can appeal to every human being.

I also believe that this is a successful ad for many reasons. Any ad that illustrates some "provocative" ideas, it is being discussed. At least millennials appreciate such messages. There is some hope.

(P&G headquarters don't believe they will change the society for the better with this ad. It's a social responsibility message. Probably they don't even care. It's a marketing strategy that appeals to millennials. They gain publicity. They use their social responsibility actions to advertise their company and products. They do nothing for free. We here are the minority, we're not even the 1%. People will still buy their products. If some of you decide to boycott them, they don't care. Gillette has a huge market share globally.)

Full disclosure: I'm not a leftist. Also, I'm not a racist. I just happen to respect all people. This is how I was raised.

60 2,607
 01-17-2019, 02:19 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
Am I the only person in the world who never has seen the advertisement in question? Where did everybody else see it?

1 1,369
 01-17-2019, 02:33 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Google "Gillette Ad"

16 806
 01-17-2019, 02:44 PM
User Info
(01-17-2019, 02:19 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote: Am I the only person in the world who never has seen the advertisement in question?  Where did everybody else see it?

I also have not seen the add in question.  Guess I am so far out of the demographic they are trying to hit that I do not even qualify as a near miss.

5 16
 01-17-2019, 02:49 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
I agree with NIKOS.A

I am guessing the purpose of the ad
- behavior change is needed and starts at home (educational)
- sell more razors (make money)

I have no problem with either purpose.  Hopefully no one thinks Gillette ads should have a goal to reduce sales and avoid controversial subjects.

16 806
 01-17-2019, 06:26 PM
User Info
I haven’t seen the ad, mostly because I don’t watch tv (movies are ok though). Is there something to this, or is it just recreational outrage?

Related: unfortunately for P.T. Barnum, there are plenty of examples of bad advertising: https://www.workzone.com/blog/bad-ads/

Examples:
1. Don’t belittle suicide victims
2. Don’t make ads that look like bombs
3. Don’t challenge people to steal your identity (because they will)

[Image: screen-shot-2010-03-09-at-120841-pm.png]

^^^ This publicity stunt resulted in the CEO’s identity being stolen 13 times, and the company being fined $12 million dollars by the FTC for fraudulent advertising. This is quantifiably bad, as LifeLock’s stock plunged 48% following the aforementioned events.

35 1,861
 01-18-2019, 05:14 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
(01-17-2019, 06:26 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I haven’t seen the ad, mostly because I don’t watch tv (movies are ok though). Is there something to this, or is it just recreational outrage?

Related: unfortunately for P.T. Barnum, there are plenty of examples of bad advertising: https://www.workzone.com/blog/bad-ads/

Examples:
1. Don’t belittle suicide victims
2. Don’t make ads that look like bombs
3. Don’t challenge people to steal your identity (because they will)

[Image: screen-shot-2010-03-09-at-120841-pm.png]

^^^ This publicity stunt resulted in the CEO’s identity being stolen 13 times, and the company being fined $12 million dollars by the FTC for fraudulent advertising. This is quantifiably bad, as LifeLock’s stock plunged 48% following the aforementioned events.

Mike...basically Gillette portrayed "men" as the archetypal Fred Flintstone caveman. Boorish, uncouth, unintelligent sex fiends. 

The uproar is that they made a broad categorization of  all men in this very unflattering light. A strong signal to the #metoo movement that men suck. 

Interestingly I heard that upwards of 30% of Gillette sales are to women, so this ad may have been laser focused on the new #metoo millennials.

178 1,667
 01-18-2019, 06:16 AM
User Info
I don't need a company to tell me what to do.  I guess if you wait around for a company to tell you what is socially acceptable and how you should live your life - then I feel sorry for you.

Gillette stepped in it and personally I will never buy anything from them again.  P&G is based locally and they are getting beat up badly by the local media.

All I want is a company that makes a good product at a good price - otherwise I don't want to hear your social dribble.

4 503
 01-18-2019, 07:05 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I have a couple of sincere questions to ask. Do you really believe that the Marketing Division of a multi-billion dollar corporation such as P&G does not know how to attract customers? They didn't know there would be such reactions from a group of people? Well, they don't care about this group. When you think of blades and razors, Gillette is the first one that comes to your mind. They achieved this and that won't change anytime soon. We're talking about a huge company here, not an artisan maker. Even those that don't like the ad will eventually buy their products one way or another. If not tommorow, soon enough. It's an oligopoly market, not a competitive one that every company strives for a slightly bigger market share for Christ's sake. That's Economics 101.

Case scenario.
Someone uses a Fusion.
He doesn't like the ad and decides to boycott them.
He tries other offerings such as Schick Hydro and such.
His shaves are not that good.
He returns back to Gillette.
Gillette wins.
Smile
So simple and yet so hard to be understood by some.

People saying they won't be buying again Gillette products while they participate in shaving fora where members primarily use traditional shaving products and not carts or foams is an oxymoron. If you happen to use carts and foams look at the case scenario above. Smile

60 2,607
 01-18-2019, 07:07 AM
User Info
(01-17-2019, 02:19 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote: Am I the only person in the world who never has seen the advertisement in question?  Where did everybody else see it?

No, you are not the only one.

1 70
 01-18-2019, 08:26 AM
User Info
I don't think most people would intentionally look to a multi national corporation to find out what is socially acceptable. But then it is not unreasonable to think we are influenced to some minute degree by the information we take in from all sources, including the various medias that we consume on a daily basis. Ads are part of that. Why else would there be Ads? In this case Gillette is looking to reach young people who are increasingly finding new places to get their shaving products (Harry's,etc). Jumping on the #metoo bandwagon is a pretty good way to get young people's attention. I don't think Gillette is really trying to push these ideas on on people, but rather trying to capitalize on them in order to make money. And of course it is possible to walk and chew gum at the same time. There could be executives in the organization that agree with these ideas and at the same time feel like it is a smart way to find new customers. Who knows? Personally, I like the general message of the Ad. Sexual harassment and bullying are things we need to work. But I don't like the term Toxic Masculinity. Too easy to misinterpret the meaning of this term. If they removed that term I think a lot of the controversy would be gone. But I'm sure they knew this and wanted the controversy.

46 1,282
 01-18-2019, 12:13 PM
User Info
Personally when I heard someone describe this commercial I laughed and thought the antithesis of this was Rocco's speech from Boondock Saint's II movie.  I am not going to link to it due to graphic language but if you have seen it, you will know how comical Gillette's jump in social engineering is.

[Image: 7PRTnNS.jpg]

4 503
 01-18-2019, 12:20 PM
User Info
It's an AD. it has but ONE purpose...TO SEPERATE YOU FROM YOUR MONEY. No ethics, No morality.
They would/will/ do, sell to murderers, rapists, thieves, lovers and haters.
No Morality or "public conscious" involved. It's a company, "IT" lives only to be fed...…$$$$$$$$$$$$$
"IT" eats a lot ….."IT" must be fed 24 hrs. a day.... Shok 
Listen...…..

FEED ME !!

1 1,073
 01-18-2019, 12:58 PM
User Info