01-18-2019, 09:02 PM
User Info
I watched the ad.  Did I like it?  No.  Will it make me want to buy more Gillette products?  No.  Was I offended by it?  Absolutely not.  It's an advertisement.  Yeah, they chose to use political correctness to sell razors.  So what?  We are bombarded by so much of this same kind of stuff from so many directions that I wouldn't have any time in my day for anything else if I got all bent out of shape at every instance where I thought the political correctness was over the top.  And what's wrong with the message in this ad?  Treat people with respect, focused towards men, essentially.  Why is that bad?  If you are bothered by it, maybe you're a tad bit insecure and feel that the ad is aimed in some way at you?  That ends up being your own problem.  And what's up with Graham Allen posing with his young children with guns denouncing the ad?  What in that ad referred to guns?  I didn't see or hear one single reference to guns in that ad.  I see his post as being quite juvenile and insecure.  There you have it.  Good night, and have a pleasant tomorrow.

2 325
 01-19-2019, 03:58 AM
User Info
(01-18-2019, 08:24 PM)pbrmhl Wrote: I love this campaign by Gillette, a brand I won't buy (except their DE blades manufactured overseas). I may again be an outlier, but I respect big companies trying to do the right thing. Nike, with its Kaepenick campaign. Or Microsoft, with its announcement yesterday to contribute half a billion dollars to help with affordable housing in my community. God bless corporate America for trying to make our nation a better place to live.

Last Sunday at noon, with my family, I drove past the only Chik-fa-lay (sp?) in my metro area, and the parking lot was totally empty. When I asked how a fast food joint could be empty at noon on a Sunday, my adult son explained that the company does not open its stores on Sunday, based on the Christian sabbath. A decision I can't even begin to understand, but one I respect.

Not the same...Chick has a Christian "Zealot" owner, with a chapel in their HQ and REQUIRED daily prayer by HQ staff. I think he was sued for that a few years ago.
I respect no one who attempts to force their beliefs on others. I remember a teacher telling me once, " When anyone tells you they are right and all others are wrong,
doubt that person" ……. Cheers

1 1,073
 01-19-2019, 04:51 AM
User Info
I honestly dont see why anyone is offended by this ad.  All that it is saying is to be a better parent and teach you kids how to act right because the boys of today will be the men of tomorrow.  Thats all.  Theres no reason to be offended and honestly, Gillette could have gone a lot farther than they did.  I feel like they made the most PC political commentary that they could have and I support they 100% in this.

0 101
 01-19-2019, 01:00 PM
User Info
(01-17-2019, 02:19 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote: Am I the only person in the world who never has seen the advertisement in question? Where did everybody else see it?

I haven’t seen it Mel...not dialed into this at all!

Vr

Matt

29 1,465
 01-19-2019, 02:37 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
If it were all down to a large, pro-profit corporation to (ostensibly) provide guidance with respect to ceasing and redressing all forms of violence against women and children (and not just domestically) then it says a tremendous amount about how far removed we have become from tackling these very real problems of our own volition, and by other, meaningful and effective means. 

On the other hand, while I see this series of ads as a sheer and cynical form of market manipulation, it has at least started a broader debate, and expanded the discussion to potentially include others who may have blithely ignored this real issue for so long now. It's reached 'domestic market'. But is it effective? Will there be any positive outcomes? 

I also wonder, though, if the matter may be taken up by other, large industrial-scale companies. That would be interesting. But as I say, will any of this have an effect? That is the real issue here. Will it result in a measurable reduction of violence? The cynic in me say no, probably not. The issue goes far deeper, and won't be addressed in any far-reaching way - in my view - by advertisements for razors.

But it is at least an interesting discussion.

0 2,099
 01-19-2019, 05:57 PM
User Info
It’s P&G trying to stay relevant in a market where they are losing market share year after year. They make a socially conscious ad, people talk about Gillette and they are made to look like a great company, not a behemoth trying to regain their former market share chasing the $$. I don’t have a stance on the ad, but it’s clearly trying to appeal to a demographic they may have lost or are trying to win over as a company that is trying to appear morally conscious of what’s going on in the world

That being said, as long as I can buy silver blues, I’ll keep somehow supporting them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 7
 01-20-2019, 06:34 AM
User Info
Is it as simple as this? Gillette advertises to sell their razors and blades. This ad is NOT FOR MEN. My wife loves the ad, as do all her friends. She says, "Come on, get with it guys!" The ad targets women, women who buy razors/blades. Not only does Gillette sell lots of women's shaving products, it charges approximately 15% more for them than men's shaving gear.

17 2,336
 01-20-2019, 06:46 AM
User Info
Gillette has reached its goal with his add. It's on every forum and social media, youtube...so on

1 70
 01-20-2019, 06:49 AM
User Info
(01-20-2019, 06:34 AM)cosmicshaver Wrote: Is it as simple as this? Gillette advertises to sell their razors and blades. This ad is NOT FOR MEN. My wife loves the ad, as do all her friends. She says, "Come on, get with it guys!" The ad targets women, women who buy razors/blades. Not only does Gillette sell lots of women's shaving products, it charges approximately 15% more for them than men's shaving gear.

I think you might be onto something here.  My wife hasn’t seen the ad and has never mentioned it and probably doesn’t give two shakes about it but she does use their Venus razor.  I think @cosmicshaver is correct and they are going after the women’s market here.

2 325
 01-20-2019, 07:48 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
(01-20-2019, 06:49 AM)MntnMan62 Wrote:
(01-20-2019, 06:34 AM)cosmicshaver Wrote: Is it as simple as this? Gillette advertises to sell their razors and blades. This ad is NOT FOR MEN. My wife loves the ad, as do all her friends. She says, "Come on, get with it guys!" The ad targets women, women who buy razors/blades. Not only does Gillette sell lots of women's shaving products, it charges approximately 15% more for them than men's shaving gear.

I think you might be into something here.  My wife hasn’t seen the ad and has never mentioned it and probably doesn’t give two shakes about it but she does use their Venus razor.  I think @cosmicshaver is correct and they are going after the women’s market here.

As I mentioned earlier nearly 30% of Gillette grooming product sales are woman's products. I don't know for sure but I'm guessing Gillette was laser focused and targeted this ad to the #metoo crowd and figured they'd gain more customers than they'd lose.

178 1,667
 01-20-2019, 07:59 AM
User Info
(01-20-2019, 07:48 AM)Steelman Wrote:
(01-20-2019, 06:49 AM)MntnMan62 Wrote:

I think you might be into something here.  My wife hasn’t seen the ad and has never mentioned it and probably doesn’t give two shakes about it but she does use their Venus razor.  I think @cosmicshaver is correct and they are going after the women’s market here.

As I mentioned earlier nearly 30% of Gillette grooming product sales are woman's products. I don't know for sure but I'm guessing Gillette was laser focused and targeted this ad to the #metoo crowd and figured they'd gain more customers than they'd lose.

And since their only real obligation is to their stockholders, I'd agree that they certainly created a buzz and got people talking about the brand.  Isn't there a saying "There's no such thing as bad publicity"?  As one who isn't bothered by the commercial or the message contained therein it isn't going to effect me one way or the other.  When I watch TV, I tend to watch stuff without commercials.  And when I do watch stuff with commercials, I tend to tune them out altogether.  So if I had not seen the threads on the subject in the forums I would neve have known about it.

2 325
 01-20-2019, 09:28 AM
User Info
Gillette is trying to jump on the division bandwagon because they are losing money.  P&G is based locally and they are hurting and run the real risk of being broken up and sold as separate companies.

Gillette wants to draw attention to toxic masculinity but apparently overseas - they project another message.  Gillette says Men are evil - but hey everyone - look at our logo.  This is from a few years ago...

[Image: i4zlhxP.jpg]

4 503
 01-20-2019, 03:24 PM
User Info
(01-20-2019, 09:28 AM)Cincinnatus Wrote: Gillette is trying to jump on the division bandwagon because they are losing money.  P&G is based locally and they are hurting and run the real risk of being broken up and sold as separate companies.

Gillette wants to draw attention to toxic masculinity but apparently overseas - they project another message.  Gillette says Men are evil - but hey everyone - look at our logo.  This is from a few years ago...

Best Gillette commercial I have ever seen.

Skip the political correct garbage and stamp your company name on some female behinds.......yeahhhhhhhh......

25 6,621
 01-20-2019, 03:29 PM
User Info
(01-20-2019, 03:24 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(01-20-2019, 09:28 AM)Cincinnatus Wrote: Gillette is trying to jump on the division bandwagon because they are losing money.  P&G is based locally and they are hurting and run the real risk of being broken up and sold as separate companies.

Skip the political correct garbage and stamp your company name on some female behinds.......yeahhhhhhhh......

Personally I agree - just find it ironic of Gillette.   Biggrin

4 503
 01-20-2019, 05:14 PM
User Info
(01-20-2019, 03:24 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:

Best advertisement ever. I don’t mind this at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 7