01-18-2019, 11:08 AM
User Info
I'm out of bread, and I won't eat commercial bread due to the sodium. So today I'm making 3 loaves of classic white bread. I normally make whole white wheat but I wanted something a bit different. The house has the fantastic aroma of baking bread everywhere. Is there anything "food" that smells better?

I normally use bread flour and if whole wheat 1/2 of the loaves are that. But I recently tried adding significant amounts of "vital wheat gluten" to my breads and it has improved the structure of it tremendously. It has allowed me to not add ascorbic acid and lecithin to strengthen the structure. Today with a 9 cup mix for 3 loaves I added 2.5 cups of gluten to the bread flour.

32 6,572
 01-18-2019, 04:18 PM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
MMMMMMM.

It should be done by now. Can we see pics? (if there's any bread that's uneaten LOL)

65 1,883
 01-18-2019, 09:00 PM
User Info
Most of it is uneaten, but it's already been cut into halves (a better size for one person after it thaws - the wife rarely eats bread), sealed in bags, and is in the freezer.

Yes the wife and I both had a slice each, and the dogs each got their share. Once they hear the knife and cutting board they wake up and give us the sad eyes. But they got teased with the aroma, so they do get theirs. The male wolfs his down and might not even taste it, the female actually chews and takes her time.

Tomorrow morning 2 thin slices of toast, one slathered with tub margarine (Brummel & Brown), and the other with 2 over easy eggs on it. I might splurge and put some KCl on them, and I'll definitely use black pepper. I can do 2 eggs once a week. I also allow myself 2 very thin slices of SPAM as rendered of fat as I can arrange.

32 6,572
 01-19-2019, 06:54 AM
User Info
I love the smell of baking bread. I am making some sourdough starter (for some reason I like a young starter every now and then) and can’t wait for the first bake. The smell of baking pie does give it a run, imo.

9 1,523