01-19-2019, 04:08 AM
User Info
Notice the people who are TOO lazy to put the shopping cart in the right place in the parking lot !!
And how about the IDIOTS who puts it just outside the "stall" or whatever you call that thing.
It's only inches away !! if you took it that far, take it all the way. They should hire people to
give tickets to the people who leave the carts spread thruout the parking lot. Just saying...
This IS a real important issue, folks.. Sad

1 1,031
 01-19-2019, 04:58 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Probably the same people who leave trash on the ground within steps of the can!

10 3,314
 01-19-2019, 07:28 AM
User Info
Over here most shopping carts are equipped with a chain and lock, that requires you to either put a coin or coin-sized slug in to unlock them. You cat your coin back when you put the cart away and lock it up.

It really helps. After they started using them about twenty years ago, the problem with shopping carts spread all over the parking lot all but evaporated.

[Image: carro.jpg]
There are many different models, but all look something like this.

3 6,135
 01-19-2019, 08:01 AM
User Info
(01-19-2019, 07:28 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Over here most shopping carts are equipped with a chain and lock, that requires you to either put a coin or coin-sized slug in to unlock them. You cat your coin back when you put the cart away and lock it up.

It really helps. After they started using them about twenty years ago, the problem with shopping carts spread all over the parking lot all but evaporated.

Yes, we have a German grocery store chain, ALDI'S, they use that system. I think it's great. I even suggested it to a Walmart Mgr.

1 1,031
 01-19-2019, 12:19 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(01-19-2019, 07:28 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Over here most shopping carts are equipped with a chain and lock, that requires you to either put a coin or coin-sized slug in to unlock them. You cat your coin back when you put the cart away and lock it up.

Same here, Hans.

59 2,485
 01-19-2019, 12:59 PM
User Info

Same here in Denmark

25 6,516
 01-19-2019, 02:52 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
People who park in disabled parking bays. Deliberately.

I care for my aged and frail mother-in-law, and after long negotiation with Council, arranged a disability parking spot at the front of our house. Almost every day, someone parks in it illegally, including (unbelievably) neighbours who know our situation but just do what they please anyway. 

One neighbour has EIGHT vehicles, no garage (I have no garage). One of his (their) vehicles was half-parked in the spot. Bonnet-length. I didn't know it was his vehicle (I can't keep up with the number of them). I left a firm but polite note on the windscreen asking to please be considerate as we need the room to get a walking-aid in and out of the boot, and reminding them that the fine is very hefty.

I received an unbelievable reply. I'd post it (I took a picture, but I'll refrain) but in essence he complained that our 'designated parking spot' (nope...it's a disabled parking bay) meant he had less room for his own vehicles, and all I had to do was knock on his door and ask him to move his illegally-parked car. I would have, had I known it was his car, even though I think I shouldn't have had to in the first place. So, you see, the problem was all down to me. Somehow. Or my old almost blind and deaf M.I.L. 

Or is it just me that's lacking kindness here??

0 2,072
 01-23-2019, 08:33 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
The number of rude, selfish, aggressive people has grown exponentially in recent years.

10 3,314
 01-23-2019, 08:43 PM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
(01-23-2019, 08:33 PM)chazt Wrote: The number of rude, selfish, aggressive people has grown exponentially in recent years.

I think there is a correlation in decreased civility to increased cellphone ownership.  Might be a good topic for a sociology thesis, eh?

63 1,815
 01-23-2019, 10:09 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(01-23-2019, 08:43 PM)MaxP Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 08:33 PM)chazt Wrote: The number of rude, selfish, aggressive people has grown exponentially in recent years.

I think there is a correlation in decreased civility to increased cellphone ownership.  Might be a good topic for a sociology thesis, eh?

I think you are onto something.

52 20,401
 01-23-2019, 10:17 PM
User Info
(01-23-2019, 10:09 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 08:43 PM)MaxP Wrote:

I think you are onto something.

Not as much cellphone ownership per se, but the anonymity of the internet... this is sometimes refered to as the Greater Internet F***wad Theory. The phenonomen goes back a long way; before the internet it was noticed on CB-radio.

See here for more details (contains NSFW words).

3 6,135
 01-24-2019, 02:50 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I hate that my grandkids don't know how to use a rotary phone or a fountain pen.

182 25,384
 01-24-2019, 03:22 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(01-24-2019, 02:50 AM)Johnny Wrote: I hate that my grandkids don't know how to use a rotary phone or a fountain pen.

Those are relics of a not so distant era.

Sidebar thought,,, why do we still refer to the act of pushing numbers on the telephone keypad as “dialing?”

10 3,314
 01-24-2019, 03:51 AM
User Info
I hate,Texting and walking around in public places talking on their phones.... Mad 
How did they live b/4 the cellphone? Or DID they... Huh  I am pretty old.....And out of touch with reality... Sleep

1 1,031
 01-24-2019, 04:12 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(01-24-2019, 03:51 AM)zipper Wrote: I hate,Texting and walking around in public places talking on their phones.... Mad 
How did they live b/4 the cellphone? Or DID they... Huh  I am pretty old.....And out of touch with reality... Sleep

We lived just fine.  We knocked on doors, ring doorbells, had face to face personal conversations.  We could debate, share ideas, drink out of the water hose, play outdoors until it was time to eat.  And in case of bad weather, we could use the rotary phone.  Life was good.

182 25,384
 01-24-2019, 04:57 AM
User Info
(01-19-2019, 02:52 PM)Shaun Wrote: People who park in disabled parking bays. Deliberately.

Or the flip side is the people that has the tags and park in the handicap spot but don't need it.  As I was walking in to the store I saw someone pull in to a handicap spot - pull the handicap tag out and hung it on the mirror, got out and actually beat me to the door of the store and I am in good physical shape.

Smartphones, social media, and the internet have their uses but have also led to a level of incivility that is shows no end.  Really can't see much use for Twitter except to spread hate.  The nice thing about this forum and a couple others I am on is that they are sort of safe harbors that people can talk without the vitriol that seems to be consuming society.

4 503
 01-24-2019, 06:40 AM
User Info
(01-19-2019, 02:52 PM)Shaun Wrote: People who park in disabled parking bays. Deliberately.

I care for my aged and frail mother-in-law, and after long negotiation with Council, arranged a disability parking spot at the front of our house. Almost every day, someone parks in it illegally, including (unbelievably) neighbours who know our situation but just do what they please anyway. 

One neighbour has EIGHT vehicles, no garage (I have no garage). One of his (their) vehicles was half-parked in the spot. Bonnet-length. I didn't know it was his vehicle (I can't keep up with the number of them). I left a firm but polite note on the windscreen asking to please be considerate as we need the room to get a walking-aid in and out of the boot, and reminding them that the fine is very hefty.

I received an unbelievable reply. I'd post it (I took a picture, but I'll refrain) but in essence he complained that our 'designated parking spot' (nope...it's a disabled parking bay) meant he had less room for his own vehicles, and all I had to do was knock on his door and ask him to move his illegally-parked car. I would have, had I known it was his car, even though I think I shouldn't have had to in the first place. So, you see, the problem was all down to me. Somehow. Or my old almost blind and deaf M.I.L. 

Fines are steep here in Canada for parking in the disabled spots without permit.

1 70
 01-24-2019, 08:44 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
People using disabled parking for no other reason than to get closer to the store bug the heck out of me but then again I park as far from the entrance as I can get.
My sister uses a permit like that and not even sure why she got one as she can walk just fine. Maybe it was because of her asthma? 

Shopping carts left in the middle of the lot is another issue that we have to work around. When I had a beater truck I would nudge them out of the way so I could park in the spot they were blocking. 

The other thing that gets under my skin are these cheap 5 blade Gillette razors................now that's a whole other subject that we can all relate to. LOL

I think bottom line is we all need to be able to adapt to situations and try to stay young as long as we can to not raise our blood pressure over things we have no control over. 
Cheers friends.

0 390
 01-24-2019, 08:50 AM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
(01-24-2019, 08:44 AM)Garb Wrote: I think bottom line is we all need to be able to adapt to situations and try to stay young as long as we can to not raise our blood pressure over things we have no control over. 
Cheers friends.

True, but sometimes this is difficult

63 1,815
 01-24-2019, 12:16 PM
User Info
I was in a Walmart, in the checkout....A lady in front of me was in the electric shopping cart, as I do often, I struck up a conversation.
I said, "How many miles to the gallon do you get on that thing?" Her reply, "Oh...I don't know, I just saw it sitting in one of the aisles and
I'm tired of walking."... Shok Some person who might have needed it, maybe trying on clothes.....and this lady takes the cart.  Nono 
This IS why I HATE most people..... Sisi That's right.....I'm a H-A-T-E-R... Mad

1 1,031