08-31-2019, 05:33 PM
  • Nero
User Info
I did not stage this.....[Image: 616bf86f7524c73e726e3c9f7a66b874.jpg]

91 3,778
 09-01-2019, 02:34 AM
User Info
(08-31-2019, 05:33 PM)Nero Wrote: I did not stage this.....[Image: 616bf86f7524c73e726e3c9f7a66b874.jpg]

Disgraceful!

Most supermarkets in the UK have coin operated trolley locks in place these days to prevent this, only those willing to lose their £1 deposit will dump the trolley.

[Image: STLOCK-3.jpg]

0 128
 09-04-2019, 07:28 PM
User Info
I hate restaurants that show Buffalo Wings on their menu and then when they arrive they are breaded.  Buffalo Wings are not breaded.  They never should be breaded.  If there's breading on your Buffalo Wings, they aren't Buffalo Wings.  How do I feel qualified to deliver such an equivocal edict?  I spent four years in Buffalo going to college and during that time I literally survived on Buffalo Wings.  I had them everywhere.  The Anchor Bar where they are supposed to have been invented to a gazillion other places that served them, which is pretty much every single bar in the city along with small fast food joints.  And there was no such place as Buffalo Wild Wings.  I've been there too and they just suck.  In those four years in Buffalo I never once set eyes on a breaded Buffalo Wing.  So, if you own a restaurant and have Buffalo Wings on your menu that are breaded, either stop breading them and make them correctly or change the name of the item.  The next time I order Buffalo Wings and they come breaded, I'm sending them back.  I hate restaurants that bread their so-called fake Buffalo Wings.  Thats' what I hate.  

And like zipper above, I also hate people.  I want to get a shirt that says "I Hate People".  After all, it's people who make the darn fake breaded wings and try and pass them off as Buffalo Wings.  I too am a H-A-T-E-R.  

But I have to say that on this forum I have found nothing but L-O-V-E.   Heart

2 340
 09-06-2019, 01:41 AM
  • Keto
User Info
(09-01-2019, 02:34 AM)Rohleder Wrote:
(08-31-2019, 05:33 PM)Nero Wrote: I did not stage this.....[Image: 616bf86f7524c73e726e3c9f7a66b874.jpg]

Disgraceful!

Most supermarkets in the UK have coin operated trolley locks in place these days to prevent this, only those willing to lose their £1 deposit will dump the trolley.

[Image: STLOCK-3.jpg]

A store I started going to have the coin mechanism on the carts also. And it's kind of cool when you get a cart somebody gives you with the money ( a quarter) and just says my treat. Then you can pass it on to the next guy and they say, really. Keeps everything nice and neat with all the carts stuck together.

0 39
 09-10-2019, 04:32 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(09-04-2019, 07:28 PM)MntnMan62 Wrote: I hate restaurants that show Buffalo Wings on their menu and then when they arrive they are breaded.  Buffalo Wings are not breaded.  They never should be breaded.  If there's breading on your Buffalo Wings, they aren't Buffalo Wings.  How do I feel qualified to deliver such an equivocal edict?  I spent four years in Buffalo going to college and during that time I literally survived on Buffalo Wings.  I had them everywhere.  The Anchor Bar where they are supposed to have been invented to a gazillion other places that served them, which is pretty much every single bar in the city along with small fast food joints.  And there was no such place as Buffalo Wild Wings.  I've been there too and they just suck.  In those four years in Buffalo I never once set eyes on a breaded Buffalo Wing.  So, if you own a restaurant and have Buffalo Wings on your menu that are breaded, either stop breading them and make them correctly or change the name of the item.  The next time I order Buffalo Wings and they come breaded, I'm sending them back.  I hate restaurants that bread their so-called fake Buffalo Wings.  Thats' what I hate.  

And like zipper above, I also hate people.  I want to get a shirt that says "I Hate People".  After all, it's people who make the darn fake breaded wings and try and pass them off as Buffalo Wings.  I too am a H-A-T-E-R.  

And... they're actually just called Chicken Wings in Buffalo.  Imagine that!  
I also HATE when places bread the wings... disgusting.

The recipe is really simple, I don't know how people F this up:
Wings, fried 
Butter, melted
Frank's RedHot sauce... EVERY TIME... NOTHING ELSE... stop trying to be creative.

Add: Blue Cheese dressing on the side (NOT RANCH DRESSING, what is wrong with you!!!!!!!!!)

P.S.  ... I really don't understand it, but there is a Buffalo Wild Wings in Buffalo...which makes absolutely NO SENSE... and I agree, that place SUCKS!

91 3,778
 09-10-2019, 05:00 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(09-10-2019, 04:32 PM)Nero Wrote:
(09-04-2019, 07:28 PM)MntnMan62 Wrote: I hate restaurants that show Buffalo Wings on their menu and then when they arrive they are breaded.  Buffalo Wings are not breaded.  They never should be breaded.  If there's breading on your Buffalo Wings, they aren't Buffalo Wings.  How do I feel qualified to deliver such an equivocal edict?  I spent four years in Buffalo going to college and during that time I literally survived on Buffalo Wings.  I had them everywhere.  The Anchor Bar where they are supposed to have been invented to a gazillion other places that served them, which is pretty much every single bar in the city along with small fast food joints.  And there was no such place as Buffalo Wild Wings.  I've been there too and they just suck.  In those four years in Buffalo I never once set eyes on a breaded Buffalo Wing.  So, if you own a restaurant and have Buffalo Wings on your menu that are breaded, either stop breading them and make them correctly or change the name of the item.  The next time I order Buffalo Wings and they come breaded, I'm sending them back.  I hate restaurants that bread their so-called fake Buffalo Wings.  Thats' what I hate.  

Wings, fried 
Butter, melted
Frank's RedHot sauce... EVERY TIME... NOTHING ELSE... stop trying to be creative.

Add: Blue Cheese dressing on the side (NOT RANCH DRESSING, what is wrong with you!!!!!!!!!)

P.S.  ... I really don't understand it, but there is a Buffalo Wild Wings in Buffalo...which makes absolutely NO SENSE... and I agree, that place SUCKS!

Anchor Bar is good, but I prefer Duff’s.

15 3,652
 09-10-2019, 05:16 PM
  • Nero
User Info
Duff's is better!!

91 3,778
 09-10-2019, 06:27 PM
User Info
(09-10-2019, 04:32 PM)Nero Wrote:

Wings, fried 
Butter, melted

Ah,  yes.  The age old debate.  Duff's vs. Anchor Bar.  You are certainly correct about most of this stuff.  They ARE just called Chicken Wings, and in fact, we just referred to them as Wings.  Period. And yes, Blue Cheese is the ONLY thing you should be using to slather on your Wings.  If you use Ranch you need to move back to Kazakhstan.  HOWEVER, you're just a tad off on the recipe.  BOTH Duffs AND the Anchor Bar use much more than butter and Frank's.  There's vinegar, worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.  And depending on which recipe you are following, either some garlic powder OR Tabasco Sauce.  And I've made the Anchor Bar recipe.  Absolutely delicious.  Blows away any wings I've had around here in Jersey.  But now I want to make the Duff's recipe and compare the two.  I have the turkey fryer to do it.  It's going to happen.  Oh.  And one more thing.  Don't forget the celery sticks.  And no carrots.  Again......Kazakhstan.

2 340
 09-10-2019, 06:55 PM
User Info
 09-10-2019, 07:15 PM
User Info
The recipe I used was this one.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/membe...9a3a88205d

I didn't compare the two so they could be the same.

2 340
 09-10-2019, 07:26 PM
  • Nero
User Info
I suppose I should have said the "basic" recipe is what I wrote.

You can add salt and pepper to anything. The vinegar is if you like Mild, to dilute the Frank's sauce (which is vinegar based).
I have never heard of any restaurant in Buffalo using Worcestershire. Cayenne is to make it hotter (Cayenne is the pepper used in Frank's). Garlic powder is also in Frank's.

That all said, I have no idea why anyone would use Cayenne and vinegar. You're making it hotter and then diluting it back down.

91 3,778
 09-10-2019, 07:44 PM
User Info
Wing sauce is a toned down version of hot sauce. It’s still spicy, but not as intense. What’s happening here is the intentional dilution of the hot sauce via adding the other flavors; Frank’s is the base - not the target. I love wing sauce made with lots of garlic, it’s rarely very spicy but I love the combination.

35 1,886
 09-10-2019, 08:01 PM
User Info
(09-10-2019, 07:44 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Wing sauce is a toned down version of hot sauce. It’s still spicy, but not as intense. What’s happening here is the intentional dilution of the hot sauce via adding the other flavors; Frank’s is the base - not the target. I love wing sauce made with lots of garlic, it’s rarely very spicy but I love the combination.

Exactly.  If all you're looking for is heat, there are lots of hot sauces out there that are much hotter than Frank's.  The whole point is a combination of heat and flavor.  That is what makes the Anchor Bar wings and Duff's wings so good.  And Nero, you scratch your head at the addition of vinegar and cayenne pepper but yet you say you favor Duff's.  Well, Duff's has vinegar and cayenne pepper in it.

2 340
 09-11-2019, 04:58 AM
  • Nero
User Info
I really don't want to argue about it.

My point was stop using other brands of hot sauce. Hard to mess this up.

The vast majority of places (therefore hundreds of places) use exactly the recipe I wrote.
The proportions is up to the place or just the guy making it that day.

I lived there 10x long than you (unfortunately).

91 3,778
 09-11-2019, 06:49 AM
User Info
Sorry if I am being argumentative.  My bad.  Wings are just as YMMV as shaving.  Or anything else for that matter.  And looking back at my time in Buffalo I have to say I really enjoyed my four years there.  The city was going through some tough times back in the early 80's but it had a certain charm.  I would meet some locals and we would explore the city.  There was an old abandoned train terminal that was just sitting.  We were able to go in and check it out.  My reaction was what a shame such a gorgeous piece of architecture was going to waste.  I went to UB but spent some time down near Buff State as well. A friend and I used to drive to that part of town to a bar called Mr. Goodbar's to see a band called Taxi.  These guys played their you know what's off.  The drummer was Ted Reinhardt, the original drummer for Spyro Gyra.  We ended up there most Thursdays.  There was also a band called Gamelon, with the most of the same people as Taxi.  They played some great fusion.  Also, I found a local jazz drummer who was a leader of one of the three jazz ensembles at UB.  I ended up playing in his ensemble. I looked into his background and found out he played with Billy Eckstine, James Moody and Jimmy Dorsey. When I found that out I took lessons from him privately and would go to his house in another part of the city.  I just can't remember where he lived. His name was Louis Marino and just learned he passed in 2017 at the age of 80.  I played in a dinner theater dive downtown in the house band.  The place was Reuben's Backstage down near the Tralf, I think. I learned how to ski by taking skiing as a gym class.  We would go to Holiday Valley (?) once a week for eight weeks. And then we'd stop at a local italian restaurant for some spaghetti and meatballs after skiing and drink lots of beer and wine.  I could have done without the frigid cold, tons of snow and lack of sun during the long winter.  But I found the city inviting and met some great people there.  You like your wings your way and I like mine my way.  Nothing wrong with that.  Peace.

2 340
 09-11-2019, 05:59 PM
User Info
Wow, a heated hot wing discussion- great to see some liveliness in a thread in here !!

25 6,636
 09-13-2019, 07:17 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(09-11-2019, 06:49 AM)MntnMan62 Wrote: Sorry if I am being argumentative.  My bad.  Wings are just as YMMV as shaving.  Or anything else for that matter.  And looking back at my time in Buffalo I have to say I really enjoyed my four years there.  The city was going through some tough times back in the early 80's but it had a certain charm.  I would meet some locals and we would explore the city.  There was an old abandoned train terminal that was just sitting.  We were able to go in and check it out.  My reaction was what a shame such a gorgeous piece of architecture was going to waste.  I went to UB but spent some time down near Buff State as well. A friend and I used to drive to that part of town to a bar called Mr. Goodbar's to see a band called Taxi.  These guys played their you know what's off.  The drummer was Ted Reinhardt, the original drummer for Spyro Gyra.  We ended up there most Thursdays.  There was also a band called Gamelon, with the most of the same people as Taxi.  They played some great fusion.  Also, I found a local jazz drummer who was a leader of one of the three jazz ensembles at UB.  I ended up playing in his ensemble. I looked into his background and found out he played with Billy Eckstine, James Moody and Jimmy Dorsey. When I found that out I took lessons from him privately and would go to his house in another part of the city.  I just can't remember where he lived. His name was Louis Marino and just learned he passed in 2017 at the age of 80.  I played in a dinner theater dive downtown in the house band.  The place was Reuben's Backstage down near the Tralf, I think. I learned how to ski by taking skiing as a gym class.  We would go to Holiday Valley (?) once a week for eight weeks. And then we'd stop at a local italian restaurant for some spaghetti and meatballs after skiing and drink lots of beer and wine.  I could have done without the frigid cold, tons of snow and lack of sun during the long winter.  But I found the city inviting and met some great people there.  You like your wings your way and I like mine my way.  Nothing wrong with that.  Peace.

Thanks. And sorry for my delay. Just been working crazy hours.

Buffalo is okay, don't get me wrong (I really liked it before I moved out west and then my preferences changed).

Amazing architecture. Great food and restaurants. It has its own little culture and nightlife.

I didn't mean to criticize during the wing sauce discussion. Just sounds a little funny to add Cayenne pepper, vinegar and garlic power to Frank's Red hot when those three ingredients are already the main ingredients in Frank's. I did not mean to sound like "no one does that". But I guess they may be accenting those flavors a little more... and now that I think of it, Duff's sauce is a bit more vinegary. I like that.

Be well...

91 3,778