01-20-2019, 03:29 AM
User Info
I usually face lather,  but lately have tried lathering in a bowl. I found it hard work although the lather was very good. May be because it was a smooth porcelain rice bowl with no ridges inside . Better by far, was loading the soap and creating the lather on my cupped hand, Latger was made quickly I scraped it into the bowl from the brush.  So a bowl full of lather from making it in my cupped hand.

0 154
 01-20-2019, 06:53 AM
User Info
Do what works best for you.

0 67
 01-20-2019, 07:37 AM
User Info
The bowl shape and ridges do affect lather making. I wasn’t a fan until I got a bowl I liked. Now I like it better than facelathering by a fair margin.

9 1,486
 01-20-2019, 07:54 AM
User Info
I have several lather bowls.  Some with ridges or dimples and some totally smooth porcelain/pottery.  I find little difference between the bowls with texture and the smooth bowls in terms of effect on my ability to fill a bowl with thick rich yogurty lather.  It's really just a matter of which method you prefer.  I've never face lathered and have no desire to try it.  It probably would work just fine if I have not shaved in a few days and have some decent growth but back to back shaves I'm afraid would irritate my sensitive skin.  And I just love working a bowl of lather getting it to just the right yogurt like consistency before working it into my beard and layering it on.  I like that there are lots of different ways to get to the same place with this exercise.

0 167
 01-20-2019, 01:08 PM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
(01-20-2019, 06:53 AM)Midoio Wrote: Do what works best for you.

My thought exactly.

However, I appreciate experimentation.  Having used a bowl in the past, I will say that ridges made a significant difference.

63 1,795
 01-20-2019, 02:26 PM
User Info
Timeless Blue.[Image: y6qhDb5.jpg]

1 18
 01-20-2019, 06:08 PM
User Info
(01-20-2019, 07:54 AM)MntnMan62 Wrote: I have several lather bowls.  Some with ridges or dimples and some totally smooth porcelain/pottery.  I find little difference between the bowls with texture and the smooth bowls in terms of effect on my ability to fill a bowl with thick rich yogurty lather.  It's really just a matter of which method you prefer.  I've never face lathered and have no desire to try it.  It probably would work just fine if I have not shaved in a few days and have some decent growth but back to back shaves I'm afraid would irritate my sensitive skin.  And I just love working a bowl of lather getting it to just the right yogurt like consistency before working it into my beard and layering it on.  I like that there are lots of different ways to get to the same place with this exercise.

+1 - ridges don't make a difference for me either.

60 1,413
 01-21-2019, 10:05 AM
User Info
I have a smooth one, one with ridges, a rough texture with a swirl pattern in the bottom. I face lather 99% of the time.
I find it easier and faster. Why make lather in the bowl, then put it on my face.....I can just make it on my face...…... Sbathroom_grooming_shaving_100-100
Now, when I use a cream lather in a tube, I hand lather. Cheers

1 961
 01-21-2019, 04:36 PM
User Info
I like to bowl lather because I find it easier to control things, particularly when experimenting with new soaps, but yeah... Do what works for you.

0 1,176
 01-25-2019, 01:24 AM
User Info
Sort of funny to come across this as I'm looking for smooth bottom scuttles at the moment and mulling if I want a second scuttle. I have a G20 second I like very much, but frankly find the bumps at the bottom irritating and don't really promote lather creation to me. Used a bowl again recently and the lather creation just seemed miles better. Likely it is just placebo, but I'm considering it. Slightly larger than the G20 might not be so bad either.

33 937
 01-25-2019, 09:43 AM
User Info
Kudos to you guys who like to use the bowl, but my face would be jealous of a bowl if the bowl got all that brush time instead of my cheeks!

10 72
 01-25-2019, 09:48 AM
User Info
(01-25-2019, 09:43 AM)BrentS Wrote: Kudos to you guys who like to use the bowl, but my face would be jealous of a bowl if the bowl got all that brush time instead of my cheeks!

Just because we use a bowl doesn't mean our cheeks don't see plenty of brush time.   Aaaaa

0 167
 01-25-2019, 10:03 AM
User Info
I have continued to use a bowl. I start with making lather on my hand, then continue in the bowl.i find the lather is being made within the brush.....chubby 3,, so I scrape it into the bowl using the rim. Finally, I finish off face lathering, so no loss of face feel! The bowl acts as a superb lather holder. . .I think you just need to experiment like everything else in shaving.!

0 154
 01-25-2019, 12:19 PM
User Info
(01-25-2019, 10:03 AM)Roy Wrote: I have continued to use a bowl. I start with making lather on my hand, then continue in the bowl.i find the lather is being made within the brush.....chubby 3,, so I scrape it into the bowl using the rim. Finally, I finish off face lathering, so no loss of face feel! The bowl acts as a superb lather holder. . .I think you just need to experiment like everything else in shaving.!

+1 thousand

0 167