09-13-2012, 06:34 PM
User Info
So I am a vintage guy... and more to the point a SE guy. So don't let the guys at TOST hear it but I just got a great shave from a Merkur Progress. It is an older model but looks brand new. I kinda guessed at how it all went together, left it on what I think is one and went at it with a Sputnik blade. DFS all the way around. I will say that I think the Gillette slim or such is a better razor but I did enjoy this.

So a question. When you screw the top down how do you determine when the number is right,. I mean when I tighten it all the way down it is on like a 5. Do you just back it off to one and then go from there to have the correct setting? If that makes any sense.

1 55
 09-14-2012, 02:11 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
hmmm, I have never had my Progess (LH version) that far off calibration... I am just about over the '1' every time I tighten up all the way.

not to make you sound ignorant (Jane) hehe, but did you line up the tiny dot on the cap with the marker on the springy-baseplate?
[Image: attachment.php?aid=3490]

9 1,684
 09-14-2012, 07:36 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I was thinking the same thing - make sure the cap is positioned with the mark on the same side as the mark on the base.

43 1,690
 09-14-2012, 08:01 PM
User Info
Great advice, here, but the vintage ones may not align properly. If it is screwed all the way down, it would indicate the #1 setting and then you can go up from there four numbers to get the #5 setting or higher if you want, i assume. Mine does not set precisely at #1 so i adjust it accordingly. Good luck.

75 20,883
 09-15-2012, 05:12 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
After owning several Progress razors I have come to the conclusion it doesn't matter. Each Progress is slightly different from another but doesn't affect shave.

100 12,450
 12-04-2012, 02:07 AM
User Info
Ok I got side tracked on this thanks for the reply's guys.

This is an older model I was told. SO where it is when fully screwed down is the low wetting and I just count up from there to get the right one?? Such as one more number up is actually 2 and so forth?

Also I did check to make sure the cap was on the right way and it is.

1 55
 12-04-2012, 06:20 AM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
They are notorius for not being callibrated i even had a mergress that was out of callibration but man do they shave nice i just adjust with my eyball on the gap.

115 1,692
 12-04-2012, 08:25 AM
User Info
(12-04-2012, 06:20 AM)Triad Wrote: They are notorius for not being callibrated i even had a mergress that was out of callibration but man do they shave nice i just adjust with my eyball on the gap.

Yea. They are not bad for a razor that has a 2 sided blade.

1 55