01-26-2019, 05:26 AM
User Info
I don’t care who you are this is HEALTHY!!

[Image: R9ijwzr.jpg][Image: qTHjW3b.jpg][Image: S37jGEU.jpg][Image: PkxMxyK.jpg][Image: NkSBe1N.jpg]

18 895
 01-26-2019, 10:32 AM
User Info
while I cannot bring myself to drink a raw egg, the vitamix that was a wedding gift for me and my wife is invaluable in the kitchen.

0 417
 01-26-2019, 10:46 AM
User Info
I recently used a vitamix to make vanilla & chocolate Oreo alcoholic milkshakes. Just goes to show ya, the vitamix is flexible Wink

Vanilla or vanilla bean ice cream - 2 cups
Chocolate syrup - 2oz
Vanilla vodka - 2oz
Kahlua - 2oz
2-3 hand-crumbled Oreos 

Blend - add Oreos once shake is thin enough to drink, and let blend for 10-15 secs

*not my picture - but they looked like this

[Image: shake.jpg?1412199482]

33 1,767
 01-26-2019, 12:59 PM
User Info
Yes!!! Today is my first day with it, and it’s going to see a lot of use!

The shakes look awesome!

On Monday I am going make baked potato soup with this thing! I am looking forward to that!

Vr

Matt

18 895
 01-26-2019, 01:06 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(01-26-2019, 10:46 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I recently used a vitamix to make vanilla & chocolate Oreo alcoholic milkshakes. Just goes to show ya, the vitamix is flexible Wink

Vanilla or vanilla bean ice cream - 2 cups
Chocolate syrup - 2oz
Vanilla vodka - 2oz
Kahlua - 2oz
2-3 hand-crumbled Oreos 

Blend - add Oreos once shake is thin enough to drink, and let blend for 10-15 secs

*not my picture - but they looked like this

[Image: shake.jpg?1412199482]

To die for!!

38 5,825
 01-26-2019, 01:12 PM
User Info
we got a Vitamix with a nice recipe book...

62 1,438
 01-26-2019, 06:08 PM
User Info
2 of my favorites:

Protein Smoothie

8 oz milk
1 banana
Handful blueberries (optional)
1 scoop choc protein powder
2 spoonfuls of peanut butter powder (or 1 scoop real peanut butter)
1 spoonful chia
5 ice cubes

Green Smoothie

8 oz water
2 handfuls Baby Spinach
1 banana
1 cut up apple
7 cubes ice

18 668
 01-26-2019, 07:06 PM
User Info
Vitamix is built like a tank! I got mine in 1993, and the only issue I had was wear and tear of the hardware on the bottom of the pitcher. This was about 2 years ago. Maybe a few months ago the speed control knob started going on the fritz (any rheostat will wear with age, it’s a physical moving part!), so after contacting them, they instructed me to ship it back...ON THEIR DIME!!!
A few weeks later a package arrived, and inside was a brand new Vitamix! That is SOLID CS!!!
The one I sent back looked a bit like a carnival ride lol. It was a faux chrome finish, and the front panel where the branding is, was a blue, red, and chrome reflective sticker lol, quite the eyesore! The one they replaced it with is white, kind of boring appearance wise but absolutely less of an eyesore! Lol The new one I noticed has a soft-start feature when turning it on, which is a nice feature. The old one was ‘all or nothing’ to whatever speed you have the dial turned to.
I would absolutely recommend one to anyone in the market for a high power borderline industrial strength blender!
I have a feeling I’m preaching to the choir lol

10 539
 01-26-2019, 07:12 PM
User Info
The soft-start really is a great feature!

33 1,767
 01-27-2019, 03:40 AM
User Info
(01-26-2019, 07:06 PM)vigilantesd Wrote: Vitamix is built like a tank! I got mine in 1993, and the only issue I had was wear and tear of the hardware on the bottom of the pitcher. This was about 2 years ago. Maybe a few months ago the speed control knob started going on the fritz (any rheostat will wear with age, it’s a physical moving part!), so after contacting them, they instructed me to ship it back...ON THEIR DIME!!!
A few weeks later a package arrived, and inside was a brand new Vitamix! That is SOLID CS!!!
The one I sent back looked a bit like a carnival ride lol. It was a faux chrome finish, and the front panel where the branding is, was a blue, red, and chrome  reflective sticker lol, quite the eyesore! The one they replaced it with is white, kind of boring appearance wise but absolutely less of an eyesore! Lol The new one I noticed has a soft-start feature when turning it on, which is a nice feature. The old one was ‘all or nothing’ to whatever speed you have the dial turned to.
I would absolutely recommend one to anyone in the market for a high power borderline industrial strength blender!
I have a feeling I’m preaching to the choir lol

WOW, that is solid customer service.

62 1,438
 01-28-2019, 11:39 AM
User Info
Gotta love V-M!

I'll be making red raspberry sorbet with ours very soon instead of buying the Hagen Daz version. Since I can't eat ice cream anymore it's my frozen treat.

32 6,560
 01-28-2019, 11:56 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
This thread compelled me to order a Vitamix unit last evening : red 7500 on its way!

111 18,926
 01-28-2019, 12:19 PM
User Info
(01-28-2019, 11:39 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Gotta love V-M!

I'll be making red raspberry sorbet with ours very soon instead of buying the Hagen Daz version. Since I can't eat ice cream anymore it's my frozen treat.

Not to give you “cheat codes”, but ‘So-Delish’ is a non-dairy ice cream alternative that’s really good! They use coconut milk rather than dairy. They have a decent assortment of classic flavors, no Ben & Jerrys style options sadly =P

I know there are recipes for ice cream, and one of the demos they have for in-store demonstrations is for dairy free ice cream, in which they use non-dairy creamer. I’m not so much into that, but I’m sure there is a way to make it otherwise!

10 539
 01-28-2019, 02:18 PM
User Info
(01-28-2019, 11:56 AM)Agravic Wrote: This thread compelled me to order a Vitamix unit last evening : red 7500 on its way!

Ravi,

You won’t be disappointed! It’s a beast, and it’s becoming addictive! I have made smoothies, protein shakes, and blue berry pancakes thus far.

Potato soup later this week!

Enjoy!

Vr

Matt

18 895
 01-28-2019, 02:24 PM
User Info
Add scrambled eggs to the list. Three eggs, sour cream, pinch of salt...all mixed up and put into a burrito with some cheese!

Sounds like a winner for dinner!

Vr

Matt

18 895
 01-28-2019, 04:12 PM
User Info
(01-28-2019, 12:19 PM)vigilantesd Wrote:

Not to give you “cheat codes”, but ‘So-Delish’ is a non-dairy ice cream alternative that’s really good! They use coconut milk rather than dairy. They have a decent assortment of classic flavors, no Ben & Jerrys style options sadly =P

I know there are recipes for ice cream, and one of the demos they have for in-store demonstrations is for dairy free ice cream, in which they use non-dairy creamer. I’m not so much into that, but I’m sure there is a way to make it otherwise!

I make homemade almond-milk ice cream a lot in the summer (often adding protein powder). It’s not quite as rich as its dairy equivalent, but still quite satisfying.

33 1,767
 01-28-2019, 05:12 PM
User Info
(01-28-2019, 04:12 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote:

I make homemade almond-milk ice cream a lot in the summer (often adding protein powder). It’s not quite as rich as its dairy equivalent, but still quite satisfying.

I need to look up some recipes for non dairy ice cream. That’s one thing I never did with my Vitamix.

10 539
 01-28-2019, 06:58 PM
User Info
(01-28-2019, 05:12 PM)vigilantesd Wrote:
(01-28-2019, 04:12 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote:

I need to look up some recipes for non dairy ice cream. That’s one thing I never did with my Vitamix.

I actually have a small ice-cream maker that gently churns the almond milk mixture - never used a VM to make it.

33 1,767
 01-29-2019, 05:56 AM
User Info

Coconut milk is on my do not consume list due to the sat' fat. I can have polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats and sodium is also strictly controlled by me. Basically, if it tastes good and I didn't cook it I need to spit it out. My new diet is working fabulously, but (I think) most folks can't eat my cooking now and it forced me to learn to cook differently to get flavor w/o the use of  sodium. This is my diet exclusively and nothing that the Drs have told me to do. Though all of the data I ran across strongly suggested different things and I just put it all together.

Of course Cholesterol and trans fats are also off my diet as much as I can dodge them.

OK, why no sat' fat? Sat' fat tells the liver to produce more cholesterol.

But my diet is working. My blood work on Sept 1 showed 43/72 for LDL/HDL. Down from 140ish/70-80ish when I was told I would live forever by my PCP. I do take a statin, but a statin isn't that effective at LDL reduction.

When I think back to my previous diet I wonder why I didn't have problems sooner. Sodium? Now I'm a nutrition label reader and there were some days that I'd easily consume 4000mg of sodium; some days more. Heck, a burger at some places has 2000mg alone and a few are way over that. It was quite an eye opener when I started to read labels and look at fast food sites for their nutrition info'. Now I try to stay under 200mg and I'm successful at that some days, and always successful at staying under 500mg. One sandwich with commercially made bread can put one over 500mg, and that's w/o the cold cuts. On days that I do get near 500mg I'm drinking water like I spent a week in the desert w/o any.

But I'm way off topic. Sorry.

Mike, I make my own milk substitute with nuts. I need to explore making ice cream with it. I can make my milk substitute just as creamy as I wish. Thanks for the idea.

32 6,560
 01-29-2019, 12:16 PM
User Info
(01-29-2019, 05:56 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote:

Coconut milk is on my do not consume list due to the sat' fat. I can have polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats and sodium is also strictly controlled by me. Basically, if it tastes good and I didn't cook it I need to spit it out. My new diet is working fabulously, but (I think) most folks can't eat my cooking now and it forced me to learn to cook differently to get flavor w/o the use of  sodium. This is my diet exclusively and nothing that the Drs have told me to do. Though all of the data I ran across strongly suggested different things and I just put it all together.

Of course Cholesterol and trans fats are also off my diet as much as I can dodge them.

OK, why no sat' fat? Sat' fat tells the liver to produce more cholesterol.

But my diet is working. My blood work on Sept 1 showed 43/72 for LDL/HDL. Down from 140ish/70-80ish when I was told I would live forever by my PCP. I do take a statin, but a statin isn't that effective at LDL reduction.

When I think back to my previous diet I wonder why I didn't have problems sooner. Sodium? Now I'm a nutrition label reader and there were some days that I'd easily consume 4000mg of sodium; some days more. Heck, a burger at some places has 2000mg alone and a few are way over that. It was quite an eye opener when I started to read labels and look at fast food sites for their nutrition info'. Now I try to stay under 200mg and I'm successful at that some days, and always successful at staying under 500mg. One sandwich with commercially made bread can put one over 500mg, and that's w/o the cold cuts. On days that I do get near 500mg I'm drinking water like I spent a week in the desert w/o any.

But I'm way off topic. Sorry.

Mike, I make my own milk substitute with nuts. I need to explore making ice cream with it. I can make my milk substitute just as creamy as I wish. Thanks for the idea.

No apology necessary! I think I speak for everyone when I say that we are happy that you are able to be so strict now, and are happy for you and your family when you report good numbers/updates!

If I knew how to make a thumbs up emoji it would go HERE!

Vr

Matt

18 895