01-29-2019, 01:22 PM
User Info
I made red raspberry sorbet today with the VM. I'd been buying Hagen Daz, and it's delicious, but I can also make sorbet myself. Doing for myself (not just sorbet) is why we've had one for decades. I've been using one since I was a young teenager at the NYC worlds fair.

The flavor of the sorbet is delicious! But I was wondering about the ground up seeds before making it. Yup, the "grit" is quite noticeable. So next time if anyone makes red raspberry juice I'll make it from that. I don't want to juice only 12 ozs of raspberries. I suppose I could juice a few bags to make it worth while. When the RR sorbet is gone, next up will be either peach, strawberry, or blueberry. Of course fresh fruits in season could be used, as well as citrus. Why not melon or even watermelon?

FWIW, we have a "plunger" from a previous VM that works fine in our present one. It pushes frozen stuff into the blades while not going down so far as to be turned into plastic sorbet. I don't know if VM corp has them any more. The sorbet is in the freezer now just waiting for later tonight.

The recipe I used, changed from a peach sorbet recipe:

12 oz frozen raspberries
3/4 cup granulated sugar, adjust for taste; the recipe I used actually called for 1 cup but it was also for fresh peaches
4 cups ice cubes (I didn't use all of them but I could have and I don't think it would hurt the flavor one iota)

Blend @ full speed until smooth. You will need to push the mix into the blades. I also added some liquid water to get things going, then I remembered the plunger.

32 6,564
 01-29-2019, 02:41 PM
User Info
(01-29-2019, 01:22 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I made red raspberry sorbet today with the VM. I'd been buying Hagen Daz, and it's delicious, but I can also make sorbet myself. Doing for myself (not just sorbet) is why we've had one for decades. I've been using one since I was a young teenager at the NYC worlds fair.

The flavor of the sorbet is delicious! But I was wondering about the ground up seeds before making it. Yup, the "grit" is quite noticeable. So next time if anyone makes red raspberry juice I'll make it from that. I don't want to juice only 12 ozs of raspberries. I suppose I could juice a few bags to make it worth while. When the RR sorbet is gone, next up will be either peach, strawberry, or blueberry. Of course fresh fruits in season could be used, as well as citrus. Why not melon or even watermelon?

FWIW, we have a "plunger" from a previous VM that works fine in our present one. It pushes frozen stuff into the blades while not going down so far as to be turned into plastic sorbet. I don't know if VM corp has them any more. The sorbet is in the freezer now just waiting for later tonight.

The recipe I used, changed from a peach sorbet recipe:

12 oz frozen raspberries
3/4 cup granulated sugar, adjust for taste; the recipe I used actually called for 1 cup but it was also for fresh peaches
4 cups ice cubes (I didn't use all of them but I could have and I don't think it would hurt the flavor one iota)

Blend @ full speed until smooth. You will need to push the mix into the blades. I also added some liquid water to get things going, then I remembered the plunger.

Thanks for the recipe! I have a guava tree that fully loaded right now, and they still aren’t ripe. The coldest weather has passed already here, so hopefully they get ripe soon! They’re mutant sized too, the size of a small avocado or pear. Seriously. Lol!!! I’d like to give guava a go for a sorbet!

Smile

11 569
 01-30-2019, 06:34 AM
User Info
I bet they would!

I bought a bottle of DaFruita guava concentrate the other day. To call it tart would be an understatement. I thought guava was sweet and edible like a piece of fruit? But this concentrate needs lots of sweetener. Too much sweetener for my comfort.

BTW, the raspberry sorbet is delicious, but the seeds are a bit gritty. Though not enough to put me off my feed since I love raspberries as much as I do.  Next time I'll find a way to make it w/o the seeds. I won't juice 12 ozs of raspberries, but I would juice a few bags, then divvy the juice up and refreeze in correct sized portions.

32 6,564
 02-04-2019, 02:04 PM
User Info
Made strawberry sorbet today. Unlike the raspberry the seeds are undetectable when I cleaned out the "bowl". I'll know more in a few hours.

Same recipe but 20 ozs of berries, not 12 ozs.

32 6,564
 02-11-2019, 03:34 PM
User Info
I made some fantastic banana chocolate chip pancakes tonight for the kids’ dinner. I used the vitamix to mix the bisquick, eggs, milk, banana, vanilla, vegetable oil, baking soda, and sugar. They were great!

At any rate, I was washed the plastic container with the blade in it, and then was drying it off. As I was drying it off, I thought to myself, “I wish this was glass...it’s so expensive...glass would be better!”

As I finished that thought, the mixing container leaped out of my hands smashing to the floor, it bounced a couple of times, and then came to a rest on the tile. My heart stopped!

I walked over thinking what a chicken nugget I am, picked it up, and inspected for the damage that had to be there....

It was still tight and right, and there was not scratch or smudge on it!

I love this thing, and realized that it’s plastic for chicken nuggets like me!

Vr

Matt

21 1,096
 02-11-2019, 03:55 PM
User Info
(02-11-2019, 03:34 PM)Ols67 Wrote: I walked over thinking what a chicken nugget I am, picked it up, and inspected for the damage that had to be there....

It was still tight and right, and there was not scratch or smudge on it!

I love this thing, and realized that it’s plastic for chicken nuggets like me!
Lol “Chicken Nugget” lololol
I’m stealing that!!!
Wink

11 569
 02-11-2019, 04:43 PM
User Info
Take what you can use, and throw the rest away my friend!

Vr

Matt

21 1,096
 02-12-2019, 05:27 AM
User Info
I too wish it was glass, but the polycarbonate is lots tougher as you learned. But it scratches from use far too easily IMO.

32 6,564
 02-12-2019, 07:30 AM
User Info
(02-12-2019, 05:27 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I too wish it was glass, but the polycarbonate is lots tougher as you learned. But it scratches from use far too easily IMO.

I was very surprised...no scratches or marks after dropping it from above waist height!

This blender is one quality piece of kit!

Vr

Matt

21 1,096
 02-12-2019, 02:31 PM
User Info
I meant from actual use, of the blade spinning things, not abuse Biggrin . Our last V-M had the same dry work container as our present one and it's still in use after a decade. They had dry work containers back then. That dry container has never been treated delicately over the years. That's why we don't even consider other machines that might fill the bill. We use it hard and put it away wet and it loves the (ab)use.

We did move from a homeowner model to a commercial model and that has been a fantastic change. I did say we use it hard, right?

32 6,564
 02-12-2019, 03:05 PM
User Info
YES!!!! I need to try to make a soup with it! Perhaps this weekend!

Any good recipes?

Vr

Matt

21 1,096
 02-12-2019, 03:19 PM
User Info
I must admit that I have never made soup with it. You didn't get a recipe book? Maybe they don't include them anymore? Our latest '17 commercial V-M came with a very minimal one geared more to a restaurant.

If you don't have the recipe book give me an idea of what you're thinking of and I can check mine. I have them going back to the NY worlds fair (60s?). Or you could google it. There have to be folks using them for soup.

32 6,564
 02-12-2019, 04:45 PM
User Info
Ols67 Wrote:Potato soup later this week!

Enjoy!

Vr

Matt

I am sure you will enjoy your soup! I was hesitating between the Vitamix and the Blendtech. Got the blendtech because of a huge deal on it. Soup in these machine are fantastic. The first time i have done that, i was thinking that the soup wont be that hot. I was so wrong, the soup came out steamy of my container adter only 3 or 4 minutes of spinning.

Give us news about your soup when youve tried it...

0 114
 02-12-2019, 05:05 PM
User Info
Gents,

I want to make some type of baked potato soup concoction! I will keep the post alive by reporting how it goes!

Blend tech...I am not familiar and will have to google it.

The vitamix did come with a nice hardback recipe book, and google has a lot of recipes as well! I am looking forward to figuring this out!

Vr

Matt

21 1,096
 02-12-2019, 05:47 PM
User Info
Blendtec blenders look pretty solid as well. Congrats on snagging one at a great price!

3+ horsepower...can go wrong with that!

Vr

Matt

21 1,096
 02-13-2019, 02:51 PM
User Info
(02-12-2019, 05:47 PM)Ols67 Wrote: Blendtec blenders look pretty solid as well. Congrats on snagging one at a great price!

3+ horsepower...can go wrong with that!

Vr

Matt

There is a guy on Youtube that is making videos since at least one decade. It's called "Will it blend". He blend a crap load of stuff in a blendtech, from hochey puck, to cellphone, baseball ball, i pad, marbles and a lot of other things!

The rake handle one is impressive!

Or the Air-soft gun... "In the direction, they says "Do not shoot at any human or animal". It doesn't say "Don't blend""

With 8 years of waranty, it is a lot better then what is generally available elaewhere!

Keep us updated with your soup!

0 114
 02-15-2019, 08:17 AM
User Info
Earlier I mentioned the plunger that I use. Here it is and V-M  calls it a tamper.

https://www.vitamix.com/us/en_us/Shop/Ta...tamper.htm

I think I mentioned that I'm developing sorbet recipes. Better recipes than I presently have anyway. I don't think sorbet should have ice added to dilute the flavor. But it does result in a less expensive product (water is inexpensive).

I think I've settled on a strawberry sorbet recipe. But to understand how it came about... I started by using sugar and that was tasty, but sugar freezes and produces ice crystals. The resulting sorbet was harder than I wanted. So I discovered corn syrup (aka Karo syrup here in the USA). You want the light or clear one. Corn syrup doesn't freeze at home freezer temp's  so the sorbet stays softer.

I intend to make other sorbets and will post as I get what I think is worth sharing  but the strawberry sorbet recipe follows and it's really good.

I don’t know if an ordinary blender will work for these. Blendtec might.

Strawberry sorbet

1# frozen berries
3/4 cup light Karo corn syrup (not high fructose corn syrup)

Add the corn syrup and frozen berries to the Vita-Mix container and with it turned to high and using the pusher tool through the small lid push the berries into the spinning blades. Keep doing that until the V-M starts to freely blend the mixture. Spoon it into containers and allow to harden.

My initial sorbet recipes used sugar, but that results in a much harder (frozen solid) sorbet. The corn syrup doesn’t freeze and produce ice crystals and the sorbet stays softer. That amount of corn syrup also produces a product that has the appearance of almost having dairy in it. Back off to ½ a cup and that effect is lost as is the softer sorbet.

32 6,564
 02-16-2019, 09:30 PM
User Info
So the verdict was that it was delicious if the requests for seconds were any judge. I dished out generous quantities and only one person who pronounced it delicious didn't want 2nds. The sorbet was unlike the sugar version where I had to "chip" away at it to get a serving. This was soft enough to dig into and get a sort of soft serving.

32 6,564
 02-17-2019, 03:49 AM
User Info
It sounds like you cracked the code! I have to find what I did with that tamper tool!

Vr

Matt

21 1,096