03-14-2012, 05:17 PM
User Info
Before we even begin, let me say I like adjustable razors. I would use my Slim Adjustable a lot if the handle wasn't so darned skinny. It's just difficult on my fingers. With that out of the way ..... on to a mini-review

The majority of my goodies arrived from Phil today. So of course I had to take a new cream and AS out for a spin as well as my new Futur.

I loaded up a Crystal blade in it and noticed two things. First, due to the way the head is just manually popped off (and held in place by metal restraint wires) when you pop the top back on it you can wiggle the top piece a little bit in a clockwise / counter-clockwise manner. This however changes the way the blade sits on the head. Meaning if you don't center the top part of the head, the blade will be off center as well. My other issue is the fact Merkur doesn't use any black paint where the numbers and adjustment line are engraved. Lord, I imagine it could be difficult for people with poor vision w/o their contacts in to be able to easily read it.

OK, on to the shave. My cheeks are highly sensitive and they are the reason I have a Feather AS-D1, and for the rest of my face I prefer my iKon S3S (closed comb on the chin and above the lip, open comb on the neck area). Anyway, I lathered up some Musgo Real and set to work. I dialed it down to 1.5 and proceeded to do a WTG on my cheeks. The first pass seemed to cut smoothly, I could hear the blade sing telling me it was indeed cutting away. I dialed it up to 3 for a WTG on my upper lip and chin area and found that to be a great number for the much thicker hair I have there. I then again dialed it up to 4 for a WTG on my neck. Everything was great. I re-lathered, did the same for a XTG everywhere (except I dialed it up to 4.5 for the neck area). I gave my self a check, and did touch up only directly under my chin and on part of my neck at 4 and ATG.

Rinsed off, ran Alum across my face, only a little minor tingling on the neck area), dried off and popped on the Musgo Real AS splash. Very little stinging.

Best part of all? Baby Bottom Smooth. OH YEAH.

This may become my daily driver!

129 6,685
 03-14-2012, 08:10 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
The Futur is definitely in my top 5. I love the way it shaves and am glad to hear that it worked well for you.

45 16,307
 03-14-2012, 08:26 PM
User Info
I'm still trying to determine just how to pull off a WTF pass on my upper lip! LOL ;P

31 7,912
 03-20-2012, 04:10 PM
  • Sargon
  • St. Louis, Missouri
User Info
It is a heck of a razor. The best description I can give is that it is an adjustable DE that shaves a bit like an SE. Very close shaves, even compared to, say, my progress.

1 189
 03-20-2012, 04:47 PM
User Info
(12-31-1969, 07:41 PM)SharpSpine[/b' Wrote: 78']
I'm still trying to determine just how to pull off a WTF pass on my upper lip! LOL ;P

LOL, me tooBiggrin

2 546
 03-20-2012, 06:19 PM
User Info
(03-20-2012, 04:10 PM)Sargon Wrote: It is a heck of a razor. The best description I can give is that it is an adjustable DE that shaves a bit like an SE. Very close shaves, even compared to, say, my progress.

I am still adjusting to it; definitely dealing with some sensitivity now. I've got a Progress on order from Phil, will see what I think of it compared to the Futur.

(03-20-2012, 04:47 PM)PanchoVilla Wrote:
(12-31-1969, 07:41 PM)SharpSpine[/b' Wrote: 78']

LOL, me tooBiggrin

Fixed! thanks! Biggrin

129 6,685
 03-20-2012, 08:36 PM
User Info
Congrats on the shave, sir! Enjoy the Futur.

75 20,883
 03-21-2012, 09:03 AM
User Info
(03-20-2012, 06:19 PM)wingdo Wrote:
(03-20-2012, 04:10 PM)Sargon Wrote: It is a heck of a razor. The best description I can give is that it is an adjustable DE that shaves a bit like an SE. Very close shaves, even compared to, say, my progress.

I am still adjusting to it; definitely dealing with some sensitivity now. I've got a Progress on order from Phil, will see what I think of it compared to the Futur.

If the plastic knob is a deal-breaker (I hated it.) get in touch with Cooncat Bob. I got a great little brass knob plated in nickel. It doesn't quite match the chrome of the Merkur, but it does add a good bit of heft and is a real pleasure to use.

3 195
 03-21-2012, 11:14 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I have an IKON knob for the Long handle and a BRW for the standard as well as a MERgress standard. Also an original first issue Progress and an Elite Razor Custom quartz Progress..the knob makes absolutely no difference in the shave it is just for looks (metal,plastic,wood,stone or even dyed plastic)after a while you ignore it and just shave ..believe it or not that is what the razor is for. You can sand it,dip it or spray it..whatever turns you on...then put a blade in and shave....one thing I do is remove the split ring..much easier to clean.

6 1,913
 03-22-2012, 05:23 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I've had a gold Futur sitting amongst my stashed items (mainly software - e.g. soaps, creams etc) for months, maybe it's time to give it a try!!!

91 17,829
 03-22-2012, 08:03 AM
  • pgp
  • Portugal
User Info
First, congratulations on your new Futur.

Indeed, if you wiggle the top piece a little bit in a clockwise / counter-clockwise manner, the blade position really changes. Also, beware that if your ever disassemble it for cleaning, you must insert the top piece in the same way it came off, otherwise it won't adjust as usual.

These things apart, is a great DE. My favorite!

1 74
 03-22-2012, 08:37 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
How to take-a-part a Futur and reassemble it.

100 12,439