01-27-2019, 07:43 AM
User Info
Is using a scuttle or shaving bowl efficient?

Is using Witch Hazel needed?

Should you pre-heat your scuttle?

Can you achieve a pretty good quality shave with a disposable razor?

Do you really need to take distilled water with you when you travel, so your lather will be better?

Will shaving foam out of a spray can give you lather that works?

Do you really need alum after a shave?

Come on, do you really need moisturizer after your after shave?

These are questions I never ask. Why? Because I have absolutely no interest in being efficient.

I need to be efficient at work. You know, what is the ratio of work performed to achieve the require result, etc., etc.

Shaving is not work. Shaving is a pleasure, and a wonderful, easy to achieve, pleasure. I love it. Why on earth would I want to turn it into work?

I add as many steps as I can. I use a hot towel, I use Witch Hazel, sometimes I use alum, and I super-lather— mix 2 shaving soaps together and carefully blend them in my scuttle (which I pre-warm).

I change my DE blade every 2 shaves, I change my SE blade about every 5 shaves.

I have about a dozen shaving brushes—badger, boar and synthetic.

I play music during my shave.

I have a really large number of shaving soaps—I don’t actually know how many, but I bet it’s around 2 dozen. Maybe more.

I have a really large number of after shaves— I don’t actually know how many, but I bet it’s getting close to 2 dozen.

And, if I can think of more ways to extend the amount of time it takes to shave in the morning, I’m gonna do it. Extending bliss, that’s what it’s about for me.

1 542
 01-27-2019, 09:12 AM
User Info
(01-27-2019, 07:43 AM)David Wrote: Is using a scuttle or shaving bowl efficient?

Is using Witch Hazel needed?

Should you pre-heat your scuttle?

Can you achieve a pretty good quality shave with a disposable razor?

Do you really need to take distilled water with you when you travel, so your lather will be better?

Will shaving foam out of a spray can give you lather that works?

Do you really need alum after a shave?

Come on, do you really need moisturizer after your after shave?

These are questions I never ask.  Why?  Because I have absolutely no interest in being efficient.

I need to be efficient at work. You know, what is the ratio of work performed to achieve the require result, etc., etc.  

Shaving is not work.  Shaving is a pleasure, and a wonderful, easy to achieve, pleasure.  I love it.  Why on earth would I want to turn it into work?

I add as many steps as I can.  I use a hot towel, I use Witch Hazel, sometimes I use alum, and I super-lather— mix 2 shaving soaps together and carefully blend them in my scuttle (which I pre-warm).

I change my DE blade every 2 shaves, I change my SE blade about every 5 shaves.

I have about a dozen shaving brushes—badger, boar and synthetic.  

I play music during my shave.

I have a really large number of shaving soaps—I don’t actually know how many, but I bet it’s around 2 dozen. Maybe more.

I have a really large number of after shaves— I don’t actually know how many, but I bet it’s getting close to 2 dozen.

And, if I can think of more ways to extend the amount of time it takes to shave in the morning, I’m gonna do it.  Extending bliss, that’s what it’s about for me.
Wow, kit selection must take a good chunk of time!!

0 46
 01-27-2019, 12:59 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Since you asked, here are my answers...  Tongue

Probably
No
Yes
Yes
No way
Could be true
No
Sometimes

Edit: Just joking, David!
I agree that shaving is a pleasure. We tend to overthink.

60 2,592
 02-01-2019, 05:12 AM
User Info
I have to agree with you.  I want a BBS smooth shave, but part of my enjoyment is the journey.  I have multiples of everything and part of the fun is deciding what to use.  I enjoy trying different products.  I also have a Bluetooth speaker in the bathroom so that I can listen to music when shave.  I'm never worried about being efficient.  I just want to enjoy my shave.

0 99
 02-14-2019, 06:56 PM
User Info
(02-01-2019, 05:12 AM)Preacher Wrote: I have to agree with you.  I want a BBS smooth shave, but part of my enjoyment is the journey.  I have multiples of everything and part of the fun is deciding what to use.  I enjoy trying different products.  I also have a Bluetooth speaker in the bathroom so that I can listen to music when shave.  I'm never worried about being efficient.  I just want to enjoy my shave.

hmmm move my bluetooth speaker into the shave cave while shaving.
genius knows no limits. BRILLIANT!

0 236