01-27-2019, 03:39 PM
User Info
Hello everyone,  I have a question for those who are familiar with shavemac knots.  I am contemplating ordering a shavemac silvertip knot,  but am having trouble deciding  between the sivertip D01 and the silvertip two-band D01 knots.  Has anyone used both of these knots for comparison?  They are very expensive, so I might end up going with a Bob Quinn knot unless some here really talks me into the shavemac. 

Thank you,

Nick P.

32 208
 01-27-2019, 03:46 PM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
Skip both and get a 2 Band Silvertip. That is a fantastic knot. Those others are too scritchy and scrubby, unless you like that. The regular 2 band has wonderfully soft tips and lots of backbone.

29 809
 01-27-2019, 03:52 PM
User Info
If you don’t like scritch and a lot of backbone stay away from the DO1. Unless Of course you are very patient and will suffer through 20 to 30 lathers before the DO1 starts to soften and really come in to its own.
I would start off with a regular two band silvertip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 74
 01-27-2019, 04:02 PM
User Info
The D01 2-Band has extreme backbone and scrub, and some find it scritchy.  Unless that's what you want, you ought to consider the Silvertip 2-Band, which has ample backbone with softness.

I find the Shavemac Silvertip 2-Band and Bob Quinn's Manchurian White quite close in quality.  The Shavemac is slightly more dense, but the Shavemac is so much more expensive that the Bob Quinn knot may represents a better value to you.

60 9,446
 01-27-2019, 09:42 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I agree with the above comments. The Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip is about as good as it gets. Soft tips with enough backbone to face lather. The D01 2-band is very stiff and scritchy, which I sometimes like, especially with hard soaps. I have a couple of D01 3-bands that are not stiff and are less scritchy that I also use, but for a luxurious soft knot, stick with the 2-Band Silvertip.

38 6,023
 01-27-2019, 11:48 PM
User Info
What are you looking for in your brush knot? As it stands right now you're just going to get everyone's opinion of what they like, including mine. If we know what you are looking for in a brush we can try to temper our recommendations to what would work for you. Personally I've tried them both, plus the silvertip equivalents quite a bit, and they're all excellent. I've tried the Finest and Pure and didn't keep them for long, but those even are excellent. Excellent enough that I'll be adding those back in large sizes as soon as I can to what I have now.

33 953
 01-28-2019, 03:21 AM
User Info
I have a DO1 Shavemac…... Facepalm  Go with Bob's Manchurian White, I have four,an excellent knot... Number_one 
Get it in one of his fantastic stone handles... Thumbup

1 1,073
 01-29-2019, 09:56 AM
User Info
Great recommendations.  I like the Bob Quinn Manhchurian, but I wouln't mind a little more density and backbone in the knot.  So many good choices can make this difficult.

32 208
 01-29-2019, 06:02 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
I've owned all of the hair types that Shavemac offers, great knots IMO. A properly lofted ST finest is a pretty plush knot. I do like thier regular ST too, which I have in a bulb and flattop. No expert I just like to tinker.

12 804
 01-29-2019, 07:36 PM
User Info
(01-29-2019, 09:56 AM)petropn Wrote: Great recommendations.  I like the Bob Quinn Manhchurian, but I wouln't mind a little more density and backbone in the knot.  So many good choices can make this difficult.

If you only want a little bit, go with 2-band Silvertip. It's a safe route. 2-band D01 is something that I like, but you better like very dense brushes. You can offset the denseness and backbone by raising the loft and going with a fan knot, but even the fans stay pretty compact. You'll have to bump the loft up a considerable amount to compensate that way. Possibly more than what the hair would allow. 2-band Silvertip is a superior choice over the Manchurian from Elite Razors. That's just my experience with the brushes and my opinion.

33 953
 02-01-2019, 06:32 PM
  • TonyN
  • Buford, GA US
User Info
I have 2 D01 Silvertips and really like them both. They are dense knots that IMO have just a touch of scratch.

1 462
 02-02-2019, 10:59 AM
User Info
(01-27-2019, 03:46 PM)NJDJ Wrote: Skip both and get a 2 Band Silvertip. That is a fantastic knot. Those others are too scritchy and scrubby, unless you like that. The regular 2 band has wonderfully soft tips and lots of backbone.

Totally agree!!

47 385
 02-02-2019, 11:48 AM
User Info
I went through 17-18 Shavemac knots before getting the knots I wanted.
I now own 6 Shavemac brushes, 2 with 2-band Silvertip, 2 with 3-band Silvertip and 2 with D01 3-band Silvertip - one of each in fan and bulb shape.

If you really like backbone, consider the D01 2-Band Silvertip, but you HAVE to really like hard backbone. Otherwise drop this badger hair type altogether. I have owned 5-6 D01 2-band Silvertip and have now sold them all. Even in fan shape with a high loft, they just did not feel like I wanted them to feel.

Instead, if you want a bit of backbone, get the D01 3-Band Silvertip, but make sure to adjust the loft accordingly and know that a bulb shaped knot feel more pointy and controlled on your face and a fan shaped knot feels more soft and larger on your face.

For instance if my knot size in a D01 3-band Silvertip is 26 mm, I prefer a loft of 26x2 = 52 mm for a fan shaped knot and then add 2-3 mm for a bulb = 54-55 mm loft
But I face lather and prefer a somewhat dense knot in my D01 3-band Silvertips.

I then have the other variants for a softer face feel.
The 2-band Silvertip is quite a bit softer in feel, while still having a nice backbone.
The 3-Band Silvertip is as soft as the 2-band Silvertip, yet lacks a bit of the backbone, so loft on my 3-Band Silvertiips are 48 mm on my 25mm fan and 50 mm on my 26 mm bulb, since this type of knot is softer in feel and has less backbone comapred to the D01 3-Band Silvertip, so I adjust the loft accordingly to every badger hair brush in my collection.

Hope you can use my advice.

25 6,639
 02-04-2019, 07:42 AM
User Info
(02-02-2019, 11:48 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: I went through 17-18 Shavemac knots before getting the knots I wanted.
I now own 6 Shavemac brushes, 2 with 2-band Silvertip, 2 with 3-band Silvertip and 2 with D01 3-band Silvertip - one of each in fan and bulb shape.

If you really like backbone, consider the D01 2-Band Silvertip, but you HAVE to really like hard backbone. Otherwise drop this badger hair type altogether. I have owned 5-6 D01 2-band Silvertip and have now sold them all. Even in fan shape with a high loft, they just did not feel like I wanted them to feel.

Instead, if you want a bit of backbone, get the D01 3-Band Silvertip, but make sure to adjust the loft accordingly and know that a bulb shaped knot feel more pointy and controlled on your face and a fan shaped knot feels more soft and larger on your face.

For instance if my know sie in a D01 3-band Silvertip is 26 mm, I prefer a loft of 26x2 = 52 mm for a fan shaped knot and then add 2-3 mm for a bulb = 54-55 mm loft

The 2-band Silvertip is quite a bit softer in feel, while still having a nice backbone.
The 3-Band Silvertip is as soft as the 2-band Silvertip, yet lacks a bit of the backbone, so loft on my 3-Band Silvertiips are 48 mm on my 25mm fan and 52 mm on my 26 mm bulb, since this type of knot is softer in feel and has less backbone comapred to the D01 3-Band Silvertip, so I adjust the loft accordingly to every badger hair brush in my collection.

Very informative for me. Thank you.

15 568
 02-06-2019, 02:41 AM
User Info
(02-04-2019, 07:42 AM)Petronius Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 11:48 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: I went through 17-18 Shavemac knots before getting the knots I wanted.

For instance if my know sie in a D01 3-band Silvertip is 26 mm, I prefer a loft of 26x2 = 52 mm for a fan shaped knot and then add 2-3 mm for a bulb = 54-55 mm loft

The 3-Band Silvertip is as soft as the 2-band Silvertip, yet lacks a bit of the backbone, so loft on my 3-Band Silvertiips are 48 mm on my 25mm fan and 52 mm on my 26 mm bulb, since this type of knot is softer in feel and has less backbone comapred to the D01 3-Band Silvertip, so I adjust the loft accordingly to every badger hair brush in my collection.

You’re very welcome, my friend.
Feel free to ask me anything.
I no longer participate in badger brush debates, because after researching for 6-7 years, I own the badgers I want now.

Sold my 80-100 top badgers and now are left with 6 Shavemac custom made and 4 Thäters hand picked badgers.

I have a pretty solid knowledge of how to pick a great badger brush and what to avoid.

25 6,639
 02-06-2019, 09:18 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(02-06-2019, 02:41 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(02-04-2019, 07:42 AM)Petronius Wrote:

You’re very welcome, my friend.
Feel free to ask me anything.
I no longer participate in badger brush debates, because after researching for 6-7 years, I own the badgers I want now.

Sold my 80-100 top badgers and now are left with 6 Shavemac custom made and 4 Thäters hand picked badgers.

I have a pretty solid knowledge of how to pick a great badger brush and what to avoid.

Your advice is spot on and reflects my experience with shavemac knots in the main. I’ve figured out that I’m a medium density, medium backbone man, who face lathers only, preferring a medium-size (22mm - 24mm) fan or bulb-shape knot. Accordingly, I find the shavemac 3-band silvertip and Finest knots to be very much to my liking. I’ve also found the shavemac Pure to be a very nice knot. Over the last year I sold all my shavemac 2-bands and variants therefore, reluctantly, but knowing that they would not be part of my regular rota of 27 badgers and 3 boars.

9 1,108
 02-06-2019, 11:33 AM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
If I was going to get another Shavemac, I would get D01 for Silvertip three band or non-D01 for two band. I have a 2 band that I believe is a "unique" knot. It may as well be a D01 2 band. Insanely dense and firm, it required a bunch of use before the tips softened, and even then the scritch that it had at first was gone, but it is still very stiff and scrubby.

15 879
 02-06-2019, 11:58 AM
User Info
(02-06-2019, 11:33 AM)Puma Wrote: If I was going to get another Shavemac, I would get D01 for Silvertip three band or non-D01 for two band. I have a 2 band that I believe is a "unique" knot. It may as well be a D01 2 band. Insanely dense and firm, it required a bunch of use before the tips softened, and even then the scritch that it had at first was gone, but it was still very stiff and scrubby.

The unique knots were made as a special requests for a guy from the UK where he made group buys for a UK based shaving forum.

I’m sure these unique knots have their place and advantages, but I never paid much attention to them as Shavemac already offers 4 solid high quality badger hair type versions, which all in my view covers what I personally need in my badger brushes.
Then you also have the fifth slightly cheaper alternative - the Finest knot. A cheaper badger hair type, yet it compares to what Simpsons sell as their Best 3-band knot in my opinion.

25 6,639
 02-06-2019, 01:53 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(02-06-2019, 11:58 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 11:33 AM)Puma Wrote: If I was going to get another Shavemac, I would get D01 for Silvertip three band or non-D01 for two band. I have a 2 band that I believe is a "unique" knot. It may as well be a D01 2 band. Insanely dense and firm, it required a bunch of use before the tips softened, and even then the scritch that it had at first was gone, but it was still very stiff and scrubby.

The unique knots were made as a special requests for a guy from the UK where he made group buys
Then you also have the fifth slightly cheaper alternative - the Finest knot. A cheaper badger hair type, yet it compares to what Simpsons sell as their Best 3-band knot in my opinion.

I had one of those Unique knots and found it very dense and scrubby; not to my taste at all, but still made with the high quality we expect from shavemac. As for the Finest, it does compare very well with Simpson Best. Both knots are very good value. I believe that shavemac Finest is a mix of their Pure badger and 3-band silvertip; 60/40 perhaps? In fact I find it hard to tell the difference between shavemac Finest and shavemac 3-band without concentrating hard.

9 1,108
 02-06-2019, 02:43 PM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
(02-06-2019, 11:58 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:

The unique knots were made as a special requests for a guy from the UK where he made group buys for a UK based shaving forum.

I’m sure these unique knots have their place and advantages, but I never paid much attention to them as Shavemac already offers 4 solid high quality badger hair type versions, which all in my view covers what I personally need in my badger brushes.

Thanks Claus. I didn't know that the unique knots were made for one person. I'll have to grill the original owner. He had never used the brush and had advertised it as a unique knot. It may just be a really extra dense 2-band. The card does not say D01 and the handle just says Shavemac and Handmade in Germany.

15 879