02-06-2019, 02:51 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(02-06-2019, 02:43 PM)Puma Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 11:58 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 11:33 AM)Puma Wrote: If I was going to get another Shavemac, I would get D01 for Silvertip three band or non-D01 for two band. I have a 2 band that I believe is a "unique" knot. It may as well be a D01 2 band. Insanely dense and firm, it required a bunch of use before the tips softened, and even then the scritch that it had at first was gone, but it was still very stiff and scrubby.

The unique knots were made as a special requests for a guy from the UK where he made group buys for a UK based shaving forum.

I’m sure these unique knots have their place and advantages, but I never paid much attention to them as Shavemac already offers 4 solid high quality badger hair type versions, which all in my view covers what I personally need in my badger brushes.
Then you also have the fifth slightly cheaper alternative - the Finest knot. A cheaper badger hair type, yet it compares to what Simpsons sell as their Best 3-band knot in my opinion.

Thanks Claus. I didn't know that the unique knots were made for one person. I'll have to grill the original owner. He had never used the brush and had advertised it as a unique knot. It may just be a really extra dense 2-band. The card does not say D01 and the handle just says Shavemac and Handmade in Germany.
The Unique knot was made for a group buy on the ATG Forum in the UK and it could have been made for more than one group buy on that forum. I participated in one of those group buys ordering a brush with the Unique knot; I sold the brush last year.

9 1,062
 02-06-2019, 03:18 PM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
(02-06-2019, 02:51 PM)Rufus Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 02:43 PM)Puma Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 11:58 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: The unique knots were made as a special requests for a guy from the UK where he made group buys for a UK based shaving forum.

I’m sure these unique knots have their place and advantages, but I never paid much attention to them as Shavemac already offers 4 solid high quality badger hair type versions, which all in my view covers what I personally need in my badger brushes.
Then you also have the fifth slightly cheaper alternative - the Finest knot. A cheaper badger hair type, yet it compares to what Simpsons sell as their Best 3-band knot in my opinion.

Thanks Claus. I didn't know that the unique knots were made for one person. I'll have to grill the original owner. He had never used the brush and had advertised it as a unique knot. It may just be a really extra dense 2-band. The card does not say D01 and the handle just says Shavemac and Handmade in Germany.
The Unique knot was made for a group buy on the ATG Forum in the UK and it could have been made for more than one group buy on that forum.  I participated in one of those group buys ordering a brush with the Unique knot; I sold the brush last year.
Thanks Bryan. I just googled those group buys, one in 2016 and one in 2017, and I am positive that my handle is not one of those. Mine is an ebonite handle and it says Shavemac and Handmade in Germany. There are no other markings. At this point I'm pretty sure it is just a really super dense 2-band.

7 627
 02-06-2019, 03:53 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(02-06-2019, 03:18 PM)Puma Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 02:51 PM)Rufus Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 02:43 PM)Puma Wrote: Thanks Claus. I didn't know that the unique knots were made for one person. I'll have to grill the original owner. He had never used the brush and had advertised it as a unique knot. It may just be a really extra dense 2-band. The card does not say D01 and the handle just says Shavemac and Handmade in Germany.
The Unique knot was made for a group buy on the ATG Forum in the UK and it could have been made for more than one group buy on that forum.  I participated in one of those group buys ordering a brush with the Unique knot; I sold the brush last year.
Thanks Bryan. I just googled those group buys, one in 2016 and one in 2017, and I am positive that my handle is not one of those. Mine is an ebonite handle and it says Shavemac and Handmade in Germany. There are no other markings. At this point I'm pretty sure it is just a really super dense 2-band.

You may want to check with Bernd at shavemac as I think there have been some brushes fitted with the Unique knot, which were not part of a group buy, but I’m not sure about this. On the other hand, if the seller of the brush bought it directly from shavemac he might have the sales invoice, which should indicate the grade of the knot.

9 1,062
 02-06-2019, 04:43 PM
User Info
You can request a unique knot from Bernd, as I did with the brush below. It’s basically a more-dense 2-band knot that is extremely soft. 

[Image: pM7tTyN.jpg][Image: J95slZP.jpg]

32 1,707
 02-06-2019, 04:59 PM
User Info
(02-06-2019, 04:43 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: You can request a unique knot from Bernd, as I did with the brush below. It’s basically a more-dense 2-band knot that is extremely soft. 

The unique knots are excellent.

33 937
 02-06-2019, 05:44 PM
User Info
(02-06-2019, 03:53 PM)Rufus Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 03:18 PM)Puma Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 02:51 PM)Rufus Wrote: The Unique knot was made for a group buy on the ATG Forum in the UK and it could have been made for more than one group buy on that forum.  I participated in one of those group buys ordering a brush with the Unique knot; I sold the brush last year.

You may want to check with Bernd at shavemac as I think there have been some brushes fitted with the Unique knot, which were not part of a group buy, but I’m not sure about this. On the other hand, if the seller of the brush bought it directly from shavemac he might have the sales invoice, which should indicate the grade of the knot.

Perhaps my English is letting me down here.

But I only stated the Unique knots were originally made based on a special request by a UK based group buy.

Since then Bernd took the knot in and you can order a unique knot, if you contact Bernd directly.

I just personally never found the need for them as Bernd’s 4 luxury badger hair grades are already quite a bit different and pretty much covers all my personal needs for variety in a badger hair knot.

But I totally respect the reason behind the Unique knot.

25 6,497
 02-06-2019, 05:46 PM
User Info
(02-06-2019, 04:43 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: You can request a unique knot from Bernd, as I did with the brush below. It’s basically a more-dense 2-band knot that is extremely soft. 

Yet another proof, that Shavemac makes all the Thäter handles up to 32mm knot size. I also own that exact handle, but in an old 26 mm Thäter badger brush.

25 6,497
 02-06-2019, 07:03 PM
User Info
I have a “unique” on an artisan handle and since then I have no standard 2bands from shavemac.

9 1,486
 02-06-2019, 07:31 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
I have a “unique bulb knot” on a UK forum group buy brush - ranks close to the top favorite.  I would also agree with Claus on significant differences on the Shavemac standard knots.

9 710
 02-07-2019, 02:53 AM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
(02-06-2019, 05:44 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 03:53 PM)Rufus Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 03:18 PM)Puma Wrote: Thanks Bryan. I just googled those group buys, one in 2016 and one in 2017, and I am positive that my handle is not one of those. Mine is an ebonite handle and it says Shavemac and Handmade in Germany. There are no other markings. At this point I'm pretty sure it is just a really super dense 2-band.

You may want to check with Bernd at shavemac as I think there have been some brushes fitted with the Unique knot, which were not part of a group buy, but I’m not sure about this.  On the other hand, if the seller of the brush bought it directly from shavemac he might have the sales invoice, which should indicate the grade of the knot.

Perhaps my English is letting me down here.

But I only stated the Unique knots were originally made based on a special request by a UK based group buy.

Since then Bernd took the knot in and you can order a unique knot, if you contact Bernd directly.

I just personally never found the need for them as Bernd’s 4 luxury badger hair grades are already quite a bit different and pretty much covers all my personal needs for variety in a badger hair knot.

But I totally respect the reason behind the Unique knot.

I agree that Shavemac covers all of the bases even without the "unique" knot. I'll be honest, if mine is a unique, it may as well be a D01. It is the most dense and firm knot I have ever used.

7 627
 02-07-2019, 02:55 AM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
Thanks for all the history on the unique knots, guys. I apologize to the OP for hijacking the thread. It all started with my $.02 somewhere up there.

7 627
 02-11-2019, 04:49 PM
User Info
Which Shavemac knot is best for head lathering? Extreme softness isn't necessary. I used a boar brush for years.

0 132
 02-11-2019, 06:31 PM
User Info
(02-11-2019, 04:49 PM)KWilliams40 Wrote: Which Shavemac knot is best for head lathering? Extreme softness isn't necessary. I used a boar brush for years.

I would get a D01 3-band Silvertip 26 mm knot size and 52 mm loft in fan shape for head lathering.
I’m a head shaver too.

25 6,497
 02-11-2019, 07:08 PM
User Info
I like the D01 ST 2band in fan for the nudge.
ps: but to my preference, nothing beats a well broken in omega knot.

9 1,486
 02-14-2019, 06:33 PM
User Info
(02-11-2019, 06:31 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(02-11-2019, 04:49 PM)KWilliams40 Wrote: Which Shavemac knot is best for head lathering? Extreme softness isn't necessary. I used a boar brush for years.

I would get a D01 3-band Silvertip 26 mm knot size and 52 mm loft in fan shape for head lathering.
I’m a head shaver too.
Thanks for the recommendations.

0 132
 02-14-2019, 08:59 PM
  • w_mcnabb
  • San Antonio, TX
User Info
Claus knows his Shavemacs he is right on with the D01 3-band recommendation of 26x52 fan.  I used his recommendations when ordering mine also.  If you choose D01 2-band make it a 26x54 fan, another nod to Claus here...  I have both of these configurations and they generate enough lather to do a head shave (1 pass against the grain with touch ups) followed by a 2 pass face shave with touch ups.  Perfect sizes for my preferences considering both size and getting the best feel from each type of knot.  D01 3-band is my favorite type of knot offered by Shavemac but the higher loft on the D01 2-band makes it a very nice experience that is not what the reputation on the forums would lead you to believe.  To me it is very similar to some of the original Simpsons Manchurian knots I had the chance to use made until early 2016 when the hair seemed to change abruptly.  They will likely show up a mm or two larger at the base of where the knot meets the handle I think Bernd measures the base of the knot before setting it so it will bloom and be bigger than 26mm at the opening.  If you like boar you will likely be very happy with either D01 hair and definitely with the quality of brush from Shavemac.

94 481
 Yesterday, 02:46 PM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
True. My D01 silvertip was sold as a 26 but it was a full and dense 28 with loft set at about 51 in a custom handle. That brush was amazing. The best three band I've ever used. Unfortunately, I only got less than two years out of it before it started to shed. The brush I mentioned earlier that might be a unique knot was also advertised as 26, but it is just about 28 and very dense.

7 627
 Yesterday, 03:08 PM
User Info
(Yesterday, 02:46 PM)Puma Wrote: True. My D01 silvertip was sold as a 26 but it was a full and dense 28 with loft set at about 51 in a custom handle. That brush was amazing. The best three band I've ever used. Unfortunately, I only got less than two years out of it before it started to shed. The brush I mentioned earlier that might be a unique knot was also advertised as 26, but it is just about 28 and very dense.

I would have contacted Bernd at Shavemac if one of my brushes started to shed after 2 years and hear what he had to say.

My work horse brush right now is Shavemac D01 (Three) 3-Band Silvertip 26 mm knot and 52 mm loft in a combi fan/bulb shape.
Even though I own many other badger brushes, I use this once a week year round, and I have now used it for close to 3 years (so 150+ face and head shaves) , and it still seems to be in perfect shape.
In fact it looks like it still was brand new to be honest. I always let it rest for at least 3 days to dry before using it again though.

25 6,497