09-14-2012, 12:13 AM
User Info
I have a Valet Autostrop that will take a despined SE blade. For those that have done this before, what's the best way to remove the spine w/o removing a finger?

Thanks!

5 938
 09-14-2012, 01:32 AM
User Info
...Tom..take a look at this video.... it will help..

39 1,054
 09-14-2012, 02:30 AM
User Info
That is the video I was going to point out. That is the best way I know.

1 55
 09-14-2012, 02:45 AM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
Works fairly well. However, just because the SE blade is despined, that does not mean it will fit in an autostrop. On earlier models, you need to cut some notches in the blade back for it to fit well. This can be done easily with carbon blades - not stainless. If you have a model that requires the letter cut outs, forget about it.

Actually, the video above shows how to modify the de-spined blade. Here is the video from Dave on how to remove the spine.

0 253
 09-14-2012, 06:34 AM
User Info
I've followed both of these videos to modify my Pella PTFE blades to work with my VC1 AutoStrop. They work great together.

31 7,914
 09-14-2012, 06:54 AM
User Info
I have used the end cutting pliers; they work fine. Ace has one for ~$10, but they are also available in most major hardware stores. Any small pliers can be used to despine the blade, but the end cutters are easier for the notches.

http://store.specialtytoolsusa.com/plier...QgodvgwAhg

3 68
 09-14-2012, 07:48 AM
User Info
I've used a carpet knife and a vise or pliers to despine SE blades. Insert the carpet knife blade just under one side of the spine and slide it up to the top. Then push the knife up. It will lift right off the blade. This method is pretty quick too.

I've had the spine goes 'pop' and fly off, but it doesn't hurt anything, it's just the spine.

I think you can also just buy the SE Feather blades from RB&M that are made for Valet razors...

12 96
 09-14-2012, 08:25 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(09-14-2012, 07:48 AM)norton Wrote: I've used a carpet knife and a vise or pliers to despine SE blades. Insert the carpet knife blade just under one side of the spine and slide it up to the top. Then push the knife up. It will lift right off the blade. This method is pretty quick too.

I've had the spine goes 'pop' and fly off, but it doesn't hurt anything, it's just the spine.

I think you can also just buy the SE Feather blades from RB&M that are made for Valet razors...

Probably the easiest thing to do is buy them already to go. Thank you.

100 12,445
 09-14-2012, 09:42 AM
User Info
Thank you guys...the videos are very helpful and I guess I over looked needing to cut out the notches. Lucikly, the model I have is the C-1 and does not required the stamped blade.

Jerry- I might be with you on this one...it's probably easier to buy the correct blades for the razor...however, where's the fun unless you slice a finger or two in the process...Biggrin

5 938
 09-14-2012, 10:08 AM
User Info
(09-14-2012, 09:42 AM)BladeDE40 Wrote: Thank you guys...the videos are very helpful and I guess I over looked needing to cut out the notches. Lucikly, the model I have is the C-1 and does not required the stamped blade.

Jerry- I might be with you on this one...it's probably easier to buy the correct blades for the razor...however, where's the fun unless you slice a finger or two in the process...Biggrin

This is very easy to do for a VC1. Once I got out the 1 tool I needed it took me about 30s to get 5 blades made ready.

Please let us know how it goes for you.

31 7,914
 09-14-2012, 10:09 AM
User Info
pliers are the safest, you can use regular ones too, you don't need the ones Dave uses in the video.

You can also despine them with another razor blade,
wiggle a blade between the spine and the blade near the crimp mark to make a gap, then use a fingernail or screwdriver to lift up the spine, then pull it off. Takes less than a minute, and you get the extra thrill of risking the loss of phalanges.

(09-14-2012, 10:09 AM)superbleu Wrote: pliers are the safest, you can use regular ones too, you don't need the ones Dave uses in the video.

You can also despine them with another razor blade,
wiggle a blade between the spine and the blade near the crimp mark to make a gap, then use a fingernail or screwdriver to lift up the spine, then pull it off. Takes less than a minute, and you get the extra thrill of risking the loss of phalanges.

finished product

Attached Files Image(s)

2 59
 09-14-2012, 10:48 AM
User Info
Just a few squeezes on the rounded over portion of the spine spreads the spine for very easy removal. I don't bother making notches either. I just get rid of the entire corner (2 corners) the spring tension of the blade holder is all that's required to keep the blade in place.

The Feathers work fine, but they're (last I bought any) $1 per blade. Ted Pellas are $.25.

32 6,309