01-30-2019, 12:32 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Today I had a truly divine shave. I shaved with this divine soap. It is not just amazing, it is divine in my book.

The razor I chose for today's shave was my Wolfman WR1.

So, let the lathering begin.

[Image: BkmW3sN.jpg]

[Image: mx2TIhK.jpg]

It needs some water...

[Image: iscYpma.jpg]

[Image: G5Ucx46.jpg]

And it's ready for the first pass.

[Image: INtEzPW.jpg]

The lather is ready for the second pass.

[Image: a8QrzEj.jpg]

After cleaning the equipment.

[Image: KRT1jha.jpg]

I Coloniali does not give the densest lather you'll see. The lather can't be compared to the one of soaps with many oils and fats. However, it offers the most protective lather of all the soaps I've tried (yes, I've tried many). The post-shave feel is also excellent. You won't feel the need to use any  as balm or moisturizer. My skin feels great every time I use it.

I believe it works better with a good boar brush. My 830 is perfectly broken in as you can see.

I challenge anyone to suggest me a soap that is more protective than this gem.

60 2,591
 01-30-2019, 12:54 PM
User Info
A more protective soap? Difficult.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

0 226
 01-30-2019, 01:17 PM
User Info
Yeah baby!

Nice pictures Nick! The next time I use it, I will post some as well!

Vr

Matt

19 1,004
 01-30-2019, 03:11 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
I couldn't agree more Nick, grand stuff indeed. I'm getting near the end of the puck in my terra-cotta bowl, and have been thinking about that empty Nuavia Blue coffret for the refill. It's larger in diameter so a bit easier using a larger brush, but it isn't original either. Here's a bad image, what do you all think? The soap in the coffret is 100% Photoshopped as you can tell if you look very hard, but no I Coloniali was harmed in the making of this image...  Biggrin

Cheers, Steve

[Image: JuSmq7c.jpg]

8 724
 01-30-2019, 03:39 PM
User Info
Nice photos Nikos.

57 8,921
 01-30-2019, 03:50 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
Beautiful photos of some great product. The 830 used to be a favorite of mine as well. And the soap............divine as you say.

0 402
 01-30-2019, 05:07 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Great post Nick! There is no doubt this is a legendary soap.

66 5,412
 01-30-2019, 05:47 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
(01-30-2019, 03:11 PM)Steve56 Wrote: I couldn't agree more Nick, grand stuff indeed. I'm getting near the end of the puck in my terra-cotta bowl, and have been thinking about that empty Nuavia Blue coffret for the refill. It's larger in diameter so a bit easier using a larger brush, but it isn't original either. Here's a bad image, what do you all think? The soap in the coffret is 100% Photoshopped as you can tell if you look very hard, but no I Coloniali was harmed in the making of this image...  Biggrin

Cheers, Steve

Steve, I believe i Coloniali soap is no longer available. Do you have spare pucks? If so, you’re a fortunate fella. If not, you’re going to need to photoshop the puck into the Nuavia crock...

10 627
 01-30-2019, 11:19 PM
User Info
My original one in terracotta is approaching it's end. Still 10-12 shaves will squeeze from it. n then I have 2 refills...

I have min 6-7 years of shaving left to enjoy with this marvelous soap due to my current rotation of soaps.

Any news of a relaunch yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 1,215
 01-31-2019, 05:18 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
(01-30-2019, 05:47 PM)pbrmhl Wrote:
(01-30-2019, 03:11 PM)Steve56 Wrote: I couldn't agree more Nick, grand stuff indeed. I'm getting near the end of the puck in my terra-cotta bowl, and have been thinking about that empty Nuavia Blue coffret for the refill. It's larger in diameter so a bit easier using a larger brush, but it isn't original either. Here's a bad image, what do you all think? The soap in the coffret is 100% Photoshopped as you can tell if you look very hard, but no I Coloniali was harmed in the making of this image...  Biggrin

Cheers, Steve

Steve, I believe i Coloniali soap is no longer available. Do you have spare pucks? If so, you’re a fortunate fella. If not, you’re going to need to photoshop the puck into the Nuavia crock...

I don't understand your comment ...  Biggrin  I’m not quite as well stocked as Matt is on AoS tallow though!

Cheers, Steve

[Image: S7AnIb0.jpg]

8 724
 01-31-2019, 06:24 AM
User Info
Great review for an excellent soap. Been using I Coloniali daily for the last two weeks.

19 515
 01-31-2019, 06:54 AM
User Info
Definitely one of my favorite soaps, especially the scent.  Is there another soap out there with a similar, or pirated, scent profile?

13 1,891
 01-31-2019, 07:14 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
I don’t know of an exact copy, but it has frankincense in it, so maybe some of the Stirling or Mystic Waters offerings might be close.

Cheers, Steve

8 724
 01-31-2019, 08:57 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(01-30-2019, 12:54 PM)apogee. Wrote: A more protective soap? Difficult.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

I knew it was a tough one.

(01-30-2019, 01:17 PM)Ols67 Wrote: Yeah baby!  

Nice pictures Nick!  The next time I use it, I will post some as well!

Vr

Matt

Thanks, Matt!

Cheers, Steve

Thanks, Steve!

Have you managed to finish a Nuavia? That's amazing. It seems almost impossible to finish the two I have.

(01-30-2019, 03:39 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Nice photos Nikos.

Thanks, Ricardo!

(01-30-2019, 03:50 PM)Garb Wrote: Beautiful photos of some great product. The 830 used to be a favorite of mine as well. And the soap............divine as you say.

Thanks, Garb! The 830 was one of my first boar brushes. I've used it too many times.

(01-30-2019, 05:07 PM)eengler Wrote: Great post Nick! There is no doubt this is a legendary soap.

Thanks, Ed!

(01-30-2019, 11:19 PM)Jags009 Wrote: My original one in terracotta is approaching it's end. Still 10-12 shaves will squeeze from it. n then I have 2 refills...

I have min 6-7 years of shaving left to enjoy with this marvelous soap due to my current rotation of soaps.

Any news of a relaunch yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jagdeep, I doubt it's going to be offered again.

(01-31-2019, 06:24 AM)CanuckShaver Wrote: Great review for an excellent soap. Been using I Coloniali daily for the last two weeks.

Thank you!

(01-31-2019, 06:54 AM)number six Wrote: Definitely one of my favorite soaps, especially the scent.  Is there another soap out there with a similar, or pirated, scent profile?

The scent is certainly one of a kind. I really enjoy it.

60 2,591
 01-31-2019, 09:09 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Hey Nick,

I actually didn't finish the Nuavia. I liked the scent but there was just too much of it - I like the less strongly scented soaps for the most part, or with scents that do not persist strongly. Nuavia is designed to be an all-in-one soap, AS, and scent. One of the complaints about Nuavia is that there are no refills, so I gifted the soap to a friend who likes it but kept the pretty coffret, he already had one. I didn't have any complaints about the performance either, it's mostly a MdC formula, but it was just too strongly scented for me.

Cheers, Steve

8 724
 01-31-2019, 09:19 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(01-31-2019, 09:09 AM)Steve56 Wrote: Hey Nick,

I actually didn't finish the Nuavia. I liked the scent but there was just too much of it - I like the less strongly scented soaps for the most part, or with scents that do not persist strongly. Nuavia is designed to be an all-in-one soap, AS, and scent. One of the complaints about Nuavia is that there are no refills, so I gifted the soap to a friend who likes it but kept the pretty coffret, he already had one. I didn't have any complaints about the performance either, it's mostly a MdC formula, but it was just too strongly scented for me.

Cheers, Steve

Steve, I agree about the Nuavia scents' intensity. I like them a lot, but many times I feel it's too much. I can smell the scent on me an hour after the shave, while I have already applied a lotion and a balm. The scent is still there.  

I had the same opinion about the refill issue, but after much thought I don't care that much anymore. I am not going to finish them anyway. If I was shaving only with the Nuavias, then yes, not offering refills would be a huge issue.

60 2,591
 01-31-2019, 05:11 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(01-31-2019, 05:18 AM)Steve56 Wrote: I don't understand your comment ...  Biggrin  I’m not quite as well stocked as Matt is on AoS tallow though!

Cheers, Steve

Dang, that's a nice stash!

84 3,650
 01-31-2019, 08:30 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(01-31-2019, 05:11 PM)Nero Wrote:
(01-31-2019, 05:18 AM)Steve56 Wrote: I don't understand your comment ...  Biggrin  I’m not quite as well stocked as Matt is on AoS tallow though!

Cheers, Steve

Dang, that's a nice stash!
At some point in the past, I had 7-10 refill pucks, and for some unknown reason I decided to let them all go on BST.  None left.  

Truth be told, I do not miss the scent.

84 3,650
 02-01-2019, 08:35 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
It was never that popular when it was in production, and not for some time after production ceased. When I heard that it was being discontinued I had a terracotta pot and 1 refill. The refills were going for $19 on Amazon, so I picked up a couple of refills and a spare pot which was $34 IIRC. In a few weeks when I made other Amazon orders, I would add one or two pucks at $19. This went on for 2-3 times over 2-3 months then the price of the pucks and pots began to rise, but not much. I bought one last puck for something like $24 and a pot for ~40-ish - still cheaper than Czech and Speake. I intended that to be the end, then a deal came up here on TSN BST for a pot, couple of pucks (I think) a tube of the cream and a balm, all new and at an excellent price so I bit.

So I didn’t really go crazy, and I’m not sorry I bought what I did at those prices. BTW, the Rhubarb cream is the same scent and equally good, though I like the soap a little bit better.

Cheers, Steve

8 724
 02-01-2019, 08:50 AM
User Info
Great soap.
I only have one new left.

But I own so many great soaps, it’s not going to be a problem.

Nuavia gives me as protective a shave as I Coloniali does.

Also Savonniere du Moulin.
Czech & Speak almost and CRSW almost.

25 6,534