02-02-2019, 01:10 PM
User Info
This is one soap I really miss. Have tried a few of the new Haslinger soaps without tallow side by side with my dwindling puck of tallow Schafmilch. The creaminess and slickness of the new vegan soaps is missing that's for sure! 

Why oh why did Haslinger feel the need to reformulate? It was a great semi budget shave soap that worked really well. The scent was a little weak and about $9 for 2 ounces wasn't really a bargain but it felt like it paying under $10 for a great soap. 

Has anyone heard if they are bringing back the tallow soap?

1 219
 02-02-2019, 01:47 PM
User Info
Yeah, this is one I wish didn't disappear. Maybe it was the sheep milk but the post shave was great for me. I haven't heard anything about bringing it back but I haven't looked either.

0 82
 02-02-2019, 03:56 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(02-02-2019, 01:10 PM)jazzman Wrote: It was a great semi budget shave soap that worked really well. The scent was a little weak and about $9 for 2 ounces wasn't really a bargain but it felt like it paying under $10 for a great soap.

Valuation of shaving soaps on the basis of price divided by weight is a grossly inaccurate method.  The valuation should be price divided by number of shaves.  A 90 gram (3.17 oz) puck of hard milled Haslinger Scahafmilch will easily get twice or more the number of shaves as you would get from, for instance, a five oz (142 gram) puck of RazoRock XXX, which retails for $9.99, and generally is regarded as a good value.  The RazoRock soap contains a lot more water per ounce than the hard-milled Haslinger Schafmilch contains.  

I agree that Haslinger Schafmilch tallow soap was a great soap, and it was a very good bargain.

1 1,350
 02-02-2019, 04:28 PM
User Info
All of the pucks of Haslinger I have are 60 grams or a smidge over 2 ounces. Wish I had more of the tallow ones for sure! I'm not so certain that they are hard milled. I think I read a thing by a Europe retailer at some point about that. Either way sure was a great soap.

0 82
 02-02-2019, 05:10 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Wow, never heard that it went away .. I used it instead of Mitchell's, which I canna lather.  Guess I need to put the pucks of Schafmilch in the drawer with the Irisch Moos ..

Maybe I can use Mitchells as a wipe before a good soap ..

56 603
 02-02-2019, 06:18 PM
User Info
I spoke with Andreas (the owner) by e-mail and learned that the choice to go vegan wasn't in response to any particular market adaptation or cost savings. His words:

Yes, we have eliminated tallow from our shaving soaps. I have been working on a new recipe for a long time since I wanted to keep in line with my grandfather's philosophy when he founded the company, of producing plant based cosmetics. The shaving soaps were the only products on our catalog that did not keep up with this philosophy. After much research I succeeded in producing a vegetable based soap that performs just as well as our previous tallow soaps. 

No matter the reason, I am not very likely to try the new ones, especially at the USA prices of $9/puck.

6 1,060
 02-03-2019, 04:38 AM
  • TomG
  • Perth, Western Australia
User Info
I've read some conflicting opinions on the new vegetable based Schafmilch soap, with some saying it has identical performance to the tallow version, and others saying that they prefer the old formula.

From my personal experience shaving with both, I much prefer the tallow version.  Only two pucks left, and I intend to enjoy them.

1 123
 02-03-2019, 07:26 AM
User Info
I like the new formulation. It reminds me of the old C&E veggie soaps before they went in the crapper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 850
 02-03-2019, 08:41 AM
User Info
When I found out they were going vegan I bought 3 of the tallow pucks. So I have one puck that has been used a few times and 3 backups. But I don’t use it alone anymore. I grate it and combine it with Mitchell’s Wool Fat for a combination that exceeds the sum of it’s parts. Slick as can be, plenty of cushion, lather’s like a beast, amazing post shave feel and the coup des grace, it smells really good. I never really liked the smell of either alone but for whatever reason it is really nice when they are combined. Some of us on another site named the combo The Fat ‘As.

2 232
 02-04-2019, 10:38 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(02-02-2019, 04:28 PM)tubular Wrote: All of the pucks of Haslinger I have are 60 grams or a smidge over 2 ounces. Wish I had more of the tallow ones for sure! I'm not so certain that they are hard milled. I think I read a thing by a Europe retailer at some point about that. Either way sure was a great soap.

After reading the above, I went to my cabinet stash of four unopened tallow Haslinger Schafmilch pucks, and you are right:  the pucks are 60 grams, not the 90 grams that I quoted in error in an earlier post.  As to the hard milled part, I am still working my way through a puck of Haslinger Schafmilch that I bought in May of 2015, almost 200 weeks ago ... and that soap is part of my regular rotation, so probably it has been used for more than 150 shaves.  I estimate that more than half of that puck's original volume remains.  

1 1,350
 02-07-2019, 03:01 PM
User Info
Really enjoy the tallow version of this gem of a soap! I have a brand new puck left and will use it sparingly. It's a bummer that it's gone.

0 243
 02-08-2019, 02:01 PM
User Info
(02-07-2019, 03:01 PM)bennett Wrote: Really enjoy the tallow version of this gem of a soap! I have a brand new puck left and will use it sparingly. It's a bummer that it's gone.

I'm hoarding mine. The post shave I get from Haslingers is the best.

0 82
 02-09-2019, 06:37 AM
User Info
(02-03-2019, 04:38 AM)TomG Wrote: I've read some conflicting opinions on the new vegetable based Schafmilch soap, with some saying it has identical performance to the tallow version, and others saying that they prefer the old formula.

From my personal experience shaving with both, I much prefer the tallow version.  Only two pucks left, and I intend to enjoy them.

Agree 100% Tom. Not that veggie soap isn't a good one, it's just not that special and a clear notch or two below the tallow.

0 243
 02-09-2019, 08:15 AM
  • TomG
  • Perth, Western Australia
User Info
(02-09-2019, 06:37 AM)bennett Wrote:
(02-03-2019, 04:38 AM)TomG Wrote: I've read some conflicting opinions on the new vegetable based Schafmilch soap, with some saying it has identical performance to the tallow version, and others saying that they prefer the old formula.

Agree 100% Tom. Not that veggie soap isn't a good one, it's just not that special and a clear notch or two below the tallow.

We are certainly on the same page, Bennett.

After my A/B experience with the Schafmilch, I picked up a couple of pucks of several other Haslinger varieties whilst the tallow version was still available (as per photos below).
I have only tried the Honig (Honey) so far.  The performance was very good, and the soap has a warm comforting scent which for me best suits winter.

I'd be most interested in shaving experiences from other members with regard to my other Haslinger tallow soaps:

[Image: 29648242578_b7cac5c1c8_c.jpg][/url]

[Image: 29759956528_1c9a826b55_b.jpg]

1 123
 02-09-2019, 08:47 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Might want to give the new Cyril Salter tallow a try - $8 for 100g puck. It’s good stuff.

Cheers, Steve

8 724
 02-09-2019, 10:35 AM
User Info
I will not miss the Tallow version as I got a Tallow fat scent from the soap during the shave, that I didn’t enjoy.
I don’t get this scent from my other Tallow based soaps.

Puck is also too small for my taste.

But it was a good performer.

25 6,534
 02-09-2019, 02:15 PM
User Info
(02-09-2019, 08:15 AM)TomG Wrote:
(02-09-2019, 06:37 AM)bennett Wrote:

We are certainly on the same page, Bennett.

After my A/B experience with the Schafmilch, I picked up a couple of pucks of several other Haslinger varieties whilst the tallow version was still available (as per photos below).
I have only tried the Honig (Honey) so far.  The performance was very good, and the soap has a warm comforting scent which for me best suits winter.

I'd be most interested in shaving experiences from other members with regard to my other Haslinger tallow soaps:

[Image: 29648242578_b7cac5c1c8_c.jpg][/url]

[Image: 29759956528_1c9a826b55_b.jpg]

I've tried the tallow versions of the Honey and Sandalwood. I like the Honey of those two best. IMO though the best of all of them is the Schafmilch. 
(02-09-2019, 10:35 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: I will not miss the Tallow version as I got a Tallow fat scent from the soap during the shave, that I didn’t enjoy.

Never got a tallow scent from them but I agree on the puck size. I resort to grating it up and smooshing it into plastic container. Kind of a hassle but worth it.

1 219
 02-09-2019, 02:33 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(02-09-2019, 10:35 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: I will not miss the Tallow version as I got a Tallow fat scent from the soap during the shave, that I didn’t enjoy.

I got that scent from Valobra Unscented and Fougere as well.

60 2,591
 02-09-2019, 11:23 PM
User Info
(02-09-2019, 02:33 PM)nikos.a Wrote:

I got that scent from Valobra Unscented and Fougere as well.

I get it too from my Valobra and Czech & Speak, but not as pronounced.

25 6,534
 02-10-2019, 04:14 AM
User Info
I've not tried this soap, but will buy a puck next tine I buy my main live SV.  It is cheap enough to buy and what attracts me is the small puck size. I with more companies would make their soaps in such small sizes. Useable and not much dearer than samples.

0 178