02-05-2019, 12:10 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
These are some photos that were taken years ago by me.

[Image: hIbWyTl.jpg]

[Image: I4TDaTt.jpg]
[Image: Ip4xgzB.jpg]
[Image: n4BOST7.jpg]
[Image: zVwsOXu.jpg]
[Image: MszNTt4.jpg]

How does a blade look like from the spoiler.

These are a couple of photos I took today from my forgotten stock of these. I had totally forgot I had them.

[Image: 1pOyGRD.jpg]

[Image: jxajELz.jpg]

This is not rust, but oil that got solidified after all these decades.

If this looks fine to you, you can buy these legendary blades at the asking price. You see 8, but I "broke" 3 packages of them, meaning I threw away 7 due to the solidified oil, their cutting edges were not perfectly clean.

Also, it's almost impossible to get them out of the spoiler, without breaking it.

Is the very possible wastage worth taking the risk and paying the asking price?

It's really up to you. 

58 2,395
 02-05-2019, 01:31 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
So $.89 for 15 blades?  A very good deal, just invest in some cleaning with rubbing alcohol.  I received some 74's gunked up with the same problem, yes you have to destroy the pack but the blades are the same ..

53 566
 02-07-2019, 08:25 PM
  • TomG
  • Perth, Western Australia
User Info
Interesting.

I have a decent stash of these blades, and they have always emerged in good condition from the dispenser, and provided me with wonderful shaves.

Thanks for the heads-up; I'll certainly keep an eye out.

The vintage blades that I have the most problems with (sticking together) are the 15 blade Gillette Platinum Plus; I suspect that this is due to cramming so many blades together.  However, I've never seen discoloration on the blades after getting them apart.

0 91
 02-09-2019, 09:51 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(02-05-2019, 01:31 PM)garyg Wrote: So $.89 for 15 blades?  A very good deal, just invest in some cleaning with rubbing alcohol.  I received some 74's gunked up with the same problem, yes you have to destroy the pack but the blades are the same ..

You mean $.89 for each pack of 5 back in the day. I found about 14 packs and didn't pay a single euro. 

Cleaning with rubbing alcohol won't clean them up nicely. I've done that. There were oil spots all over the blade surface. I believe it's impossible to make them look like new.

58 2,395