02-06-2019, 04:42 AM
User Info
Goodmorning gentlemen,

I am new to this forum so I hope that I am posting this thread in the appropriate section.

So I need help regarding my Merkur 43C. This morning after shaving, I took it apart to dry it and I took the bottom completely off also. However, I was on a phone call when I was putting it back together and I did not realize that the retaining ring on the bottom had slipped off the main piece and settled into the handle shaft.

Distracted as I was, I pushed harder on the bottom handle thinking it was just a little stuck, just to realize that I had completely squeezed in the retaining ring into the handle itself, not realizing that the retaining ring wasn't in the slot it was supposed to be in. I can't get the ring to come loose from inside the top of the handle shaft and I am now coming to you guys for help, hoping someone could guide me with this situation.

I have other razors so shaving will not be a problem, but I must admit I am fond of this one and it is not even a month old, so I don't feel like scrap it....

Thanks in advance gents

1 2
 02-06-2019, 08:21 AM
User Info
Depending on how far down you managed to push it, you might be able to make a small hook on the end of a bicycle spoke or similar. If the construction is the same as my 39C - ie.: the shank don't reach all the way to the base plate - you might also be able to angle a small drift punch through the hole and push the retaining ring down that way.

3 6,226
 02-06-2019, 02:42 PM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
Took a look at my 39C and it should be easy to remove by pushing down from the top with anything rigid that will fit in the handle shaft and is long enough to push the ring out the bottom. You may need an abrupt edge on the pusher to catch the edge of the ring. A pen refill, wooden skewer or the like would do the trick. A little lube if it resists. While I could see my ring coming off I think it would not likely end up like where yours has. Hopefully the construction is the same and the fix will be easy.

0 662
 02-06-2019, 07:15 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Try a chop stick...or even a plastic straw....as for the ring I never keep mine on...easier to clean without it....took mine of every Merkur including the Progress.the REX and the Parker Variant....only there to keep the knob from falling off.

6 2,120
 02-08-2019, 08:22 AM
User Info
Thanks Gents!!! I got it out using a wire hanger.

1 2
 02-09-2019, 04:56 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I love it when a plan comes together.

182 25,435
 02-09-2019, 08:53 AM
User Info
I’ve got a few dental cleaning tools I bought at a swap meet for I think a dollar apiece. They’ve helped me out in many situations as such, highly recommended for your tool set!

11 561