02-06-2019, 10:29 AM
User Info
Hello all,

My time has arrived and I get to order my brush!  Biggrin

I would like a little help with choosing a knot.
I know I want a synthetic fan, I prefer a light to medium backbone and a soft face feel, and generally bowl lather.
I cannot find much information for the 25mm Fan Black Wolf 3rd batch hybrid. How does that compare to the original Black Wolf and/or the 25mm Fan Timberwolf?
Anyone have an experience with these knots?
Thanks.

0 19
 02-06-2019, 11:00 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
I have both the Black Wolf #3 and Timberwolf - both 25mm bulbs.  I also face lather.  

Wolf Whiskers website has a "Links/Reviews/Video.  First video is comparison of Black Wolf (#2 guessing) and Timberwolf.  I watched and chose the Timberwolf at that time.  Other videos also.  My recent purchase was Black Wolf #3

I have never compared my two synthetic Wolf Whiskers brushes directly.  However, I do not recall any really significant or big differences.

9 710
 02-06-2019, 05:05 PM
User Info
(02-06-2019, 11:00 AM)SCOV Wrote: I have both the Black Wolf #3 and Timberwolf - both 25mm bulbs.  I also face lather.  

Wolf Whiskers website has a "Links/Reviews/Video.  First video is comparison of Black Wolf (#2 guessing) and Timberwolf.  I watched and chose the Timberwolf at that time.  Other videos also.  My recent purchase was Black Wolf #3

I have never compared my two synthetic Wolf Whiskers brushes directly.  However, I do not r
ecall any really significant or big differences.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I have seen that particular video and a couple of others. I am just trying to get as much information as I can. Interesting that you don’t recall there being a significant difference, between the two; I see that as a good thing.

0 19
 02-06-2019, 07:17 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
I have a "range" of values for a brush (no scritch, decent backbone, etc).  I would be able to detect some of my brushes in a blind shave test - but not all.  Personal opinion for my brushes, more variation in badger knots.  Both the Black Wolf and Timberwolf both fall in my range of values.

Good luck with your choice of handle shape and color.

9 710
 02-06-2019, 08:18 PM
User Info
(02-06-2019, 07:17 PM)SCOV Wrote: I have a "range" of values for a brush (no scritch, decent backbone, etc).  I would be able to detect some of my brushes in a blind shave test - but not all.  Personal opinion for my brushes, more variation in badger knots.  Both the Black Wolf and Timberwolf both fall in my range of values.

Good luck with your choice of handle shape and color.

Thanks.

0 19
 02-07-2019, 06:05 AM
User Info
My experience is with the bulb knots.  I prefer the Black Wolf over the Timberwolf.  Black wolf is soft, with just enough backbone.  The Timberwolf is too floppy for me.

10 116
 02-07-2019, 08:02 AM
User Info
Thanks for the information.

0 19
 02-08-2019, 11:40 AM
User Info
(02-07-2019, 08:02 AM)georgesg Wrote: Thanks for the information.

George, keep in mind you can purchase a knot from any vendor and Peter will install it into your new brush handle.  You are not limited to the Wolf Whiskers inventory of knots.  I am further down the wait list and I am looking at Shavemac and elite razor knots for my handle.

10 116
 02-08-2019, 12:47 PM
User Info
(02-08-2019, 11:40 AM)petropn Wrote:
(02-07-2019, 08:02 AM)georgesg Wrote: Thanks for the information.

George, keep in mind you can purchase a knot from any vendor and Peter will install it into your new brush handle.  You are not limited to the Wolf Whiskers inventory of knots.  I am further down the wait list and I am looking at Shavemac and elite razor knots for my handle.

Thanks for the advice. I decided to try the Blackwolf 25mm bulb. I’ve heard some good things about the knot an decided to give it a whirl. You’re way ahead of my technique of waiting until the last minute ??. I never felt any pressure from Peter to rush. He was very helpful and clear in his communications. A pleasure to work with.
I have heard both of the makers you are considering have a good reputation for high quality knots; there’s just too many choices. ?
Good luck with your new brush when you get it.

0 19