02-07-2019, 11:41 AM
User Info
I recently bought a blood pressure monitor from Amazon but found that it consistently gave abnormally low readings, despite battery changes and with no evidence of any cuff leakage.  Amazon's web site says that personal care items like the monitor are "not eligible for return," so I telephoned their customer service to discuss the issue.  The representative immediately initiated a full refund and told me that I didn't even need to return the monitor; I can donate it or give it away or just throw it out.  The whole process took 5 minutes.  Regardless of any other problems one might have with Amazon or their policies, they certainly provided excellent customer service to me this time.

230 13,508
 02-07-2019, 03:00 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
I had a recent & similar positive experience with Amazon - found simple way to contact via email.  

A few years ago I had a $5.00 purchase that never shipped.  After several attempts to figure out a way to contact Amazon support, I gave up.  I also waited over 30 days.  

I assume Amazon does not pay any 3rd party vendor for defective items.

16 806
 02-07-2019, 03:26 PM
User Info
If used properly, Amazon is an excellent shopping source. I have also had the same outcome related to a product I purchased. Part of it is the value of the item. If there is no market for a used item, they don’t want it back. And if you are a long term customer and have spent a fair amount of money, they take that into account as well. Ultimately, there is a very good reason Bezos is as wealthy as he is.

2 316
 02-07-2019, 03:38 PM
User Info
Big fan of Amazon. Superb Customer Service.

71 5,433
 02-07-2019, 04:13 PM
User Info
I use Amazon three - four times a month. Three times, so far, this month. I've had to place two claims, all handled fast.
Had a couple with E-Bay too. Handled fast. This new Amazon delivery has some rough edges in my market area.
We have this "new" in my area UPS 24/7 pickup points around town, in convenience stores.

1 1,073
 02-07-2019, 06:14 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
They do make it hard to hate them .. I've had to return a couple times, they make the refund when the UPS system receives the return package, as in within the hour.  I've gotten lazy & ordered some hard to find consumables, when one package arrived with expiration dates a month away they made a refund & told me to keep the stuff or donate it to get used.

I'm sure we'll all regret it someday, but with the disappearance of local hard shell retail options it is likely the way of the future.  Just wish their Amazon delivery guys didn't look more like porch pirates than real porch pirates, makes for wasted ammunition ..

60 632
 02-07-2019, 06:41 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I refuse to buy from Amazon. They are trying to take over world and will eventually drive every small and medium sized business out of business.

52 20,905
 02-07-2019, 07:05 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Well, guess I'll get over it, as if I had a choice.  Wish there were stores like back when, but loved the choices available from catalog sales ..  then internet sellers who drove the small shops out of business.  Amazon sold me books at the outset, then clothes .. 

I still have Maggard's near, but Straight Razor Shoppe has closed, Sigh

60 632
 02-07-2019, 07:13 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(02-07-2019, 07:05 PM)garyg Wrote: Well, guess I'll get over it, as if I had a choice.  Wish there were stores like back when, but loved the choices available from catalog sales ..  then internet sellers who drove the small shops out of business.  Amazon sold me books at the outset, then clothes .. 

There used to be antitrust legislation to prevent this sort of thing. There still is of course but, apparently, it is not enforced.

52 20,905
 02-07-2019, 11:51 PM
User Info
I’m of two minds on this. I don’t shop at Walmart for the same reasons as Phil provided. That said, I did quite a bit of Internet shopping before and during Amazon’s infancy. Even today, as a consumer you roll the dice with each online purchase:

Is the item actually in stock? Will I receive the right product?
Shipping is nearly always more expensive; items rarely ship quickly.
Customer service is... not well executed, and returns/refunds are a crapshoot.
If you don’t use PayPal, you’re giving your credit card/name/address to yet another business who has questionable security around sensitive data.
Consumer reviews are helpful, but not if they are heavily curated by the parent company.

Amazon has mastered distribution, delivery, perusal, ordering, payment, and returns. I have access to thousands of products not available locally, and when purchasing ‘fulfilled by amazon’ - the customer service is very predictable. I can see the issues for small businesses - namely that it’s too expensive to compete or partner with Amazon. However, they’ve pushed online retail forward in many important ways. I still purchase from small businesses, but the list is small.

35 1,860
 02-08-2019, 02:03 AM
User Info
Amazon is Walmart of the digital world... you can almost anything for a decent price, but they do drive smaller businesses out of business.

I buy books from Amazon since they often have books available that I just can't get elsehow - at least not in digtal format - but almost everything else I much rather get from spesialist shops.

3 6,493
 02-08-2019, 08:39 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
(02-07-2019, 06:41 PM)bullgoose Wrote: I refuse to buy from Amazon. They are trying to take over world and will eventually drive every small and medium sized business out of business.

I remember hearing that about Sears. 
and that fully operational DEATHSTAR, how did that work out? 
no body takes over the world, not with a bunch of crazed wet shavers with brushes at the ready and a steely eye to match their steely blades. 
anyway there is always room for a little guy doing extraordinary work to make a living.

0 314
 02-08-2019, 09:11 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(02-08-2019, 08:39 AM)RyznRio Wrote:
(02-07-2019, 06:41 PM)bullgoose Wrote: I refuse to buy from Amazon. They are trying to take over world and will eventually drive every small and medium sized business out of business.

I remember hearing that about Sears. 
and that fully operational DEATHSTAR, how did that work out? 
no body takes over the world, not with a bunch of crazed wet shavers with brushes at the ready and a steely eye to match their steely blades. 
anyway there is always room for a little guy doing extraordinary work to make a living.

I disagree. Wet shaving shops are dropping like flies and that trend will continue.

52 20,905
 02-08-2019, 02:10 PM
User Info
Two items arrived from Amazon today. Have to send one back, missing part... Sad 
Went on-line.. Undecided Immediate return approval.... Smile 
Can't beat that.. Winky

1 1,073
 02-08-2019, 05:33 PM
User Info
I won’t buy from Amazon or Wal-Mart, I’d rather go out of my way and pay more for something than give my money to either of these.

12 609
 02-27-2019, 02:17 PM
User Info
(02-08-2019, 02:10 PM)zipper Wrote: Two items arrived from Amazon today. Have to send one back, missing part... Sad 
Can't beat that.. Winky

I did get an immediate return approval, I did return mailed the next day.
But I haven't received the replacement, yet.... Undecided 
They advised it will arrive by 27 March.... Facepalm

1 1,073
 02-27-2019, 02:55 PM
User Info
That's more like it.

9 1,523
 02-27-2019, 04:59 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
(02-07-2019, 07:13 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(02-07-2019, 07:05 PM)garyg Wrote: Well, guess I'll get over it, as if I had a choice.  Wish there were stores like back when, but loved the choices available from catalog sales ..  then internet sellers who drove the small shops out of business.  Amazon sold me books at the outset, then clothes .. 

There used to be antitrust legislation to prevent this sort of thing. There still is of course but, apparently, it is not enforced.

This. If our antitrust laws, all still on the books, were actually enforced, the captive consumer syndrome that is developing (and in some markets, developed) would be less of a risk.

I was a lawyer in private practice for 32 years. When I started in the early ‘80s, any medium or large law firm had antitrust expertise. A decade later, those lawyers had shifted specialties. The government approved every merger and acquisition, and companies knew private rights of action were too expensive and time-consuming, with little likelihood of prevailing. Without getting political, tempting as it is, we’re going to regret the abandonment of our antitrust laws...

14 662
 03-07-2019, 01:10 PM
User Info
(02-27-2019, 02:17 PM)zipper Wrote:
(02-08-2019, 02:10 PM)zipper Wrote: Two items arrived from Amazon today. Have to send one back, missing part... Sad 
Can't beat that.. Winky

I did get an immediate return approval, I did return mailed the next day.
But I haven't received the replacement, yet.... Undecided 
They advised it will arrive by 27 March.... Facepalm
It did arrive today... Sisi Twenty days early... W00t

1 1,073