02-11-2019, 10:25 PM
User Info
A little while ago I got my hands on a trio of razor blade sharpeners, and my plan is to do a light clean and restore before making a few tests to see if they still work as advertised... stay tuned!
[Image: Project01.jpg]
[Image: Project02.jpg]
[Image: Project03.jpg]

3 6,568
 02-12-2019, 02:48 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Interesting Hans.  Initially I thought the first picture was of a fishing reel.  I'm wondering how many times you could sharpen a razor blade before it's worn to the point that the shave is no longer as efficient because of reduced blade exposure?

12 2,143
 02-12-2019, 03:16 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Weird looking contraption. My initial thought was that it is an old, manual pencil sharpener.

15 3,652
 02-15-2019, 07:21 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
Hi, have you gotten those sharpeners to work at all?

I remember reading that in the early 1900's when Gillette first started DE production, no one wasted anything for any reason. customers would send their used DE blades back to gillette for sharpening. perhaps they used one of your new toys? it was proposed that DE razor blades were responsible for ushering in the throw away society we live in today.

0 336
 02-15-2019, 08:28 PM
User Info
(02-12-2019, 02:48 AM)Sully Wrote: Interesting Hans.  Initially I thought the first picture was of a fishing reel.  I'm wondering how many times you could sharpen a razor blade before it's worn to the point that the shave is no longer as efficient because of reduced blade exposure?

Haha I thought it was a pencil sharpener!

12 625
 02-15-2019, 10:24 PM
User Info
While I havn't gotten started on the project RyznRio, I too have read that the intent was to be able to send in the blades for resharpening, and that resharpened blades would be sold for less than new ones. The logistics of that concept probably broke down well before there were a few million razors in use Tongue

3 6,568
 02-16-2019, 06:35 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
(02-15-2019, 10:24 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: While I havn't gotten started on the project RyznRio, I too have read that the intent was to be able to send in the blades for resharpening, and that resharpened blades would be sold for less than new ones. The logistics of that concept probably broke down well before there were a few million razors in use Tongue

probably started charging for shipping and handling. also once WW1 started, it was a long way from Tipperary, to be sending blades back and forth from a trench.

0 336
 02-16-2019, 08:10 AM
User Info
(02-15-2019, 10:24 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: While I havn't gotten started on the project RyznRio, I too have read that the intent was to be able to send in the blades for resharpening, and that resharpened blades would be sold for less than new ones. The logistics of that concept probably broke down well before there were a few million razors in use Tongue
That explains my BIC blades.... Winky

See review of BIC in RAZOR BLADES DISCUSSION.

1 1,073