02-12-2019, 09:15 AM
User Info
I've found that I like the STF fiber brushes best. My main brush is the EJ STF XL brush. Obviously the Muhle and EJ brushes are almost identical. It seems that other brushes use a very similar fiber, if not identical. Simpson's synthetics use a similar fiber, but the chubby is a little too low lofted for me. I'm looking for something in between the loft of a Chubby (50mm) and the loft of the EJ (55mm).

What other brands should I look at? It seems that Epsilon and Asylum might also use the same fiber. Can anyone confirm this or suggest other brands? It would need to be 25-26mm in diameter and around 52-53mm in loft.

I'm also considering sacrificing a brush and putting it in a new handle to get the right loft, in which case, the cheapest option to get the right fiber and diameter would be ideal.

7 120
 02-12-2019, 11:34 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
(02-12-2019, 09:15 AM)vadim Wrote: I've found that I like the STF fiber brushes best. My main brush is the EJ STF XL brush. Obviously the Muhle and EJ brushes are almost identical. It seems that other brushes use a very similar fiber, if not identical. Simpson's synthetics use a similar fiber, but the chubby is a little too low lofted for me. I'm looking for something in between the loft of a Chubby (50mm) and the loft of the EJ (55mm).

What other brands should I look at? It seems that Epsilon and Asylum might also use the same fiber. Can anyone confirm this or suggest other brands? It would need to be 25-26mm in diameter and around 52-53mm in loft.

I'm also considering sacrificing a brush and putting it in a new handle to get the right loft, in which case, the cheapest option to get the right fiber and diameter would be ideal.

When I spoke with Christian Muhle back in 2014, I understood that EJ was the only "name" maker using STF knots.  That situation might have changed in the interim; but if you want a brush such as the one you describe, your best bet might be to reach out to Muhle directly and order just a 25mm STF knot.  You could then send the knot to one of the many artisans on this--or another--forum to create a handle for it.  The knot will likely cost you $30.00 more-or-less; but that will less expensive and far less risky than having the knot cut out of an existing brush.

4 862
 02-12-2019, 06:30 PM
  • w_mcnabb
  • San Antonio, TX
User Info
The two chubbies I have owned, one remaining in my den, were both set at a little above 53mm.  I think the loft has been raised since the first release of the Chubby in synthetic but I may well have just gotten lucky twice.  The knot is roughly twice as dense at the EJ XL that I sold and the L that I just picked up off our BST though so the face feel is quite different.  A little bit of effort is needed to splay the knot while face lathering but nothing I find uncomfortable or out of the ordinary enough to count it as a con against the synthetic chubby.

96 505
 02-12-2019, 06:42 PM
User Info
(02-12-2019, 06:30 PM)w_mcnabb Wrote: The two chubbies I have owned, one remaining in my den, were both set at a little above 53mm.  I think the loft has been raised since the first release of the Chubby in synthetic but I may well have just gotten lucky twice.  The knot is roughly twice as dense at the EJ XL that I sold and the L that I just picked up off our BST though so the face feel is quite different.  A little bit of effort is needed to splay the knot while face lathering but nothing I find uncomfortable or out of the ordinary enough to count it as a con against the synthetic chubby.

Interesting. I bought my Chubby just a few months ago from a European vendor. My brush (with the 50mm loft) seems to be a more recent iteration since it has the "bristle" label on the handle (it was my understanding that the first batches had "synthetic badger" label). I'm not sure what to make of all of this yet. The Simpson's website currently lists the loft at 50mm, which is pretty much what I've measured mine to be.

I find the Chubby to be a little too scrubby with the density and low-loft combination. I much prefer my EJ STF XL; however, I think I would really enjoy the 25mm STF with the loft lowered 2mm or the 27mm Chubby with a slight higher loft.

7 120
 02-12-2019, 07:27 PM
  • w_mcnabb
  • San Antonio, TX
User Info
I will look at what my fibres are called and measure it again.  And it has been a few years since I bought the first one and sold (too hastily in retrospect I love the knot after revisiting) it so my memory may be off by a mm on the high side on the first one I had.  I'll check and update.

96 505
 02-12-2019, 08:32 PM
  • Nero
User Info
I use the EJ L for about 9 of 10 shaves. My hand just goes for it, I don't even think about it... well, maybe for one second, but that's it.

Been using it this frequently for at least a year, maybe two, I've lost count. My other brushes just collect dust. Can't remember the last time I used a badger. (...I have said that before, and even that's been a long time, haha)

The L is perfect IMO bc the silky hairs and bc the knot "aims" so there is a light scrub.

Totally different feel and function from the XL, which is way too large and throws lather all over the walls and ceiling.

BTW, many people say the Chubby breaks in after some usage, and I absolutely agree. It's also an excellent brush, but just a little too much to be my daily driver. Hence the attention my EJ L receives. But nothing bad to say about the Simpson... I actually think the hairs are even a little silkier than the EJ if I'm being honest.

89 3,738
 02-13-2019, 02:52 AM
  • max1ci6
  • Ancona, Italy
User Info
(02-12-2019, 09:15 AM)vadim Wrote: I've found that I like the STF fiber brushes best. My main brush is the EJ STF XL brush. Obviously the Muhle and EJ brushes are almost identical. It seems that other brushes use a very similar fiber, if not identical. Simpson's synthetics use a similar fiber, but the chubby is a little too low lofted for me. I'm looking for something in between the loft of a Chubby (50mm) and the loft of the EJ (55mm).

I like very much the same fibers , I owe both EJ and Muhle and my favorite size is the XL , which I found excellent for my hand and face. I also found out I like more the Muhle XL over the EJ because despite having the same knot the first one splays better in face. As mentioned you can buy a knot from Muhle and recruit an artisan to create a new brush . I don't know which other maker uses their fiber unfortunately.

0 1,312
 02-13-2019, 06:48 AM
  • w_mcnabb
  • San Antonio, TX
User Info
So my current chubby is ~52-52.5 loft and labeled 'Synthetic bristle'.  Used it for head and face shave this morning it is really a great brush. My old listing said 53mm loft and was labeled 'Synthetic Badger'.  If I remember correctly I requested the highest loft Mark had when I bought the first one the second just came this was from Gifts & Care.  

There are a lot of great artisan handle makers go for a custom with a XL knot and drop it to 54mm loft I think you would still get splay set at that depth.  Check in with Rudy Vey he may even stock those knots if I remember correctly and can do whatever shape you desire and his work is stellar.  I have a Declaration set in a 'ThatDarnRob' handle that is just awesome in hand though taller than most people might prefer. Craftsmanship and material are both top notch I recommend checking him out on Etsy or FB as well.  The EJ is a size L for size reference.
[Image: Em9sdji.jpg]

96 505
 02-13-2019, 09:48 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(02-12-2019, 08:32 PM)Nero Wrote: ... nothing bad to say about the Simpson... I actually think the hairs are even a little silkier than the EJ if I'm being honest.

Just realized I have to try the Duke 3 synth. Actually been thinking about it on and off for a while, and just pulled the trigger.

Enabler alert: I searched for it in Google, the top hit was for WCS (via Google Express) and it had an offer of 20% off (bc my first order through Google Express)... and free shipping.

89 3,738
 02-14-2019, 08:33 AM
User Info
(02-12-2019, 11:34 AM)BSWoodturning Wrote: When I spoke with Christian Muhle back in 2014, I understood that EJ was the only "name" maker using STF knots.  That situation might have changed in the interim; but if you want a brush such as the one you describe, your best bet might be to reach out to Muhle directly and order just a 25mm STF knot.  You could then send the knot to one of the many artisans on this--or another--forum to create a handle for it.  The knot will likely cost you $30.00 more-or-less; but that will less expensive and far less risky than having the knot cut out of an existing brush.

Excellent advice.
I did the same thing with some black fibre knots and Muhle delivered spot on.

0 708
 02-16-2019, 01:38 PM
User Info
One of our TSN Artisans, Dr. Dulcamara (Juan), makes beautiful handles machined out of aluminum.  The aluminum is polished, and not anodized as is often the case with other, less expensive, aluminum handles.  They're available with badger, boar, or Muhle XL synthetic knots.  Here are mine with the Muhle synthetic knots.  These are exceptional and unique brushes.  

[Image: oCVJzmw.jpg]

58 9,212
 02-16-2019, 03:34 PM
  • w_mcnabb
  • San Antonio, TX
User Info
Very nice Ricardo! Juan is very talented and easy to get a hold of as well great recommendation

96 505
 02-16-2019, 06:04 PM
User Info
(02-12-2019, 08:32 PM)Nero Wrote: I use the EJ L for about 9 of 10 shaves. My hand just goes for it, I don't even think about it... well, maybe for one second, but that's it.

Been using it this frequently for at least a year, maybe two, I've lost count. My other brushes just collect dust. Can't remember the last time I used a badger. (...I have said that before, and even that's been a long time, haha)

The L is perfect IMO bc the silky hairs and bc the knot "aims" so there is a light scrub.

Totally different feel and function from the XL, which is way too large and throws lather all over the walls and ceiling.

BTW, many people say the Chubby breaks in after some usage, and I absolutely agree. It's also an excellent brush, but just a little too much to be my daily driver. Hence the attention my EJ L receives. But nothing bad to say about the Simpson... I actually think the hairs are even a little silkier than the EJ if I'm being honest.

Do you face lather ?

25 6,590
 02-18-2019, 10:57 AM
User Info
BSB brushes are available with Muehle silvertip fibre, indeed.
Yes, the aluminum seems untreated.
It oxidizes.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

0 274
 02-19-2019, 05:59 AM
  • Nero
User Info
(02-16-2019, 06:04 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 08:32 PM)Nero Wrote: I use the EJ L for about 9 of 10 shaves. My hand just goes for it, I don't even think about it... well, maybe for one second, but that's it.

Do you face lather ?
Yes, every shave.

89 3,738
 02-19-2019, 07:03 PM
  • Nero
User Info
Duke 3 Synthetic just came in.
Others added for reference.[Image: 1358cf3dc397425b4b6356f67ab8e894.jpg]

89 3,738
 02-19-2019, 08:13 PM
  • Nero
User Info
Just had the first shave with the Duke.

Excellent soft hairs with great backbone, just as I expected. It definitely is still "stubborn" like the Chubby was when it was new and not broken in. But I fully expect that it will break in very nicely just like it's big brother.

My first instinct is that I will use the Duke much more than I currently use the Chubby. And, who knows, maybe it will entice me to start using the Chubby more than I currently do. If either catches up or surpasses the EJ L, that is a major feat and new era in my den.

89 3,738
 02-20-2019, 01:53 PM
User Info
(02-12-2019, 11:34 AM)BSWoodturning Wrote: That situation might have changed in the interim; but if you want a brush such as the one you describe, your best bet might be to reach out to Muhle directly and order just a 25mm STF knot. 

I sent an email to Muhle (the main email address listed on their european site) over a week ago and haven't heard back yet. Is there another email that I could use that would have a better chance of reaching the right person?

Thanks for the discussion everyone.

7 120
 02-20-2019, 02:19 PM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
(02-20-2019, 01:53 PM)vadim Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 11:34 AM)BSWoodturning Wrote: That situation might have changed in the interim; but if you want a brush such as the one you describe, your best bet might be to reach out to Muhle directly and order just a 25mm STF knot. 

I sent an email to Muhle (the main email address listed on their european site) over a week ago and haven't heard back yet. Is there another email that I could use that would have a better chance of reaching the right person?

Thanks for the discussion everyone.

Just went through my records and couldn't find another email you might try.  I'm sorry.

4 862
 02-20-2019, 03:10 PM
User Info
Check with Rudy Vey.  At one point he stocked Muhle XL synthetic  knots for his custom brushes.  I don't know if he still has any, or if he will sell just the knot.

58 9,212