02-12-2019, 10:41 AM
User Info
Gents,

Stirling Shave Soap never went away, but I went away from it.

I used it, loved everything about it (especially the residual slickness), and then moved on...always chasing the soaps and creams that were more expensive which might be better...MDC, Baume.be, Hemingway’s, ABC, ADP, SMN...you get the idea.

At any rate just for giggles I picked up a container of the Stirling Almond Creme Shave Soap, whipped up a beautiful lather, and used my .84 Gamechanger on a Stork titanium handle for a SUPERB four pass shave. I finished it off with PAA’s Chella Cool aftershave! That stuff burns and stings, gives me what appears to be a sunburn, and then the redness goes away as it turns COLD leaving me smelling like a maraschino cherry/almond! LOVE IT!

It was a highly enjoyable shave...zero irritation, zero weepers, and 100% BBS!!!

So welcome back Stirling...I didn’t even realize how much I missed you!

Vr

Matt

32 1,686
 02-12-2019, 10:51 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
it doesn't matter where you roam
after all is said and done
there's no place like home.

0 341
 02-12-2019, 10:59 AM
User Info
Stirling is a good middle of the pack shaving soap. Love the price but I wish their scents were not so darn strong. I guess they needed to do that to cover up the beefy smell everyone was complaining about.

0 130
 02-12-2019, 11:02 AM
User Info
(02-12-2019, 10:51 AM)RyznRio Wrote: it doesn't matter where you roam
after all is said and done
there's no place like home.

So true!

Vr

Matt

32 1,686
 02-12-2019, 11:10 AM
User Info
(02-12-2019, 10:59 AM)LAParker Wrote: Stirling is a good middle of the pack shaving soap. Love the price but I wish their scents were not so darn strong. I guess they needed to do that to cover up the beefy smell everyone was complaining about.

Well the scents must be effective in covering up the tallow/beef smell, because I detect no unpleasantness whatsoever. I also like a nice strong scent when I am shaving, because it lets me enjoy it throughout the process. Although, sometimes I am in the mood for a more subdued fragrance...part of the fun, and nice to have the variety.

I don’t know why...perhaps it’s my face chemistry, or maybe my technique...but I just feel like Stirling soaps are better than middle of the pack for me. So it’s nice to find something I really enjoy performance and fragrance wise that is so inexpensive.

I just checked their site, and they do have a few new ones that weren’t there in early 2018! I am going to revisit the ones I have just to be sure before buying another one or two containers!

Vr

Matt

32 1,686
 02-12-2019, 11:12 AM
User Info
I don't have that much scent different scent from stirling, 3 or maybe 4. I cannot wait for the summer to get them out. The only non-glacial scent I have is the R4L set! Which smell amazing!

I think you make want to use that set in the next few days. Havent used it in a while!

0 232
 02-12-2019, 12:33 PM
User Info
(02-12-2019, 11:10 AM)Ols67 Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 10:59 AM)LAParker Wrote: Stirling is a good middle of the pack shaving soap. Love the price but I wish their scents were not so darn strong. I guess they needed to do that to cover up the beefy smell everyone was complaining about.

I don’t know why...perhaps it’s my face chemistry, or maybe my technique...but I just feel like Stirling soaps are better than middle of the pack for me. So it’s nice to find something I really enjoy performance and fragrance wise that is so inexpensive.

Matt

agree with Matt. I think Stirling should be classified more at just under the top tier soaps rather than in the middle of the pack. I always get excellent lathers: slick, protective, and creamy.

and I know we all have our preferences, but usually the strength of the Stirling soapss is exactly where I want. I sample so many other brands where I can barely smell them during the shave and that's not doing me any good at all.

I never noticed any kind of beefy smell at all and I have tried many Stirling soaps. Even the lightly scented ones don't have any kind of scent that's attached to the base . At least for me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

0 20
 02-12-2019, 12:40 PM
User Info
(02-12-2019, 12:33 PM)sgrdddy Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 11:10 AM)Ols67 Wrote:

Matt

agree with Matt. I think Stirling should be classified more at just under the top tier soaps rather than in the middle of the pack. I always get excellent lathers: slick, protective, and creamy.

and I know we all have our preferences, but usually the strength of the Stirling soapss is exactly where I want. I sample so many other brands where I can barely smell them during the shave and that's not doing me any good at all.

I never noticed any kind of beefy smell at all and I have tried many Stirling soaps. Even the lightly scented ones don't have any kind of scent that's attached to the base . At least for me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I heard from a few folks that initially they did have a bit of a funky smell. However, I think that issue has long since been fixed! I throughly enjoy them...especially the Creed Aventus clone...it’s quite good!

Vr

Matt

32 1,686
 02-12-2019, 12:47 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info

Neither did I; perhaps it is because the only Stirling soaps that I have purchased were made with tallow taken from the UNDERSIDE of the KIDNEY of a SHEEP.

Laughing1

1 1,379
 02-12-2019, 12:50 PM
User Info
(02-12-2019, 12:47 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:

Neither did I; perhaps it is because the only Stirling soaps that I have purchased were made with tallow taken from the UNDERSIDE of the KIDNEY of a SHEEP.

Laughing1

Mel! Welcome back to you as well Sir! I haven’t said hi to you in awhile! I hope that you and your family are well!

Vr

Matt

32 1,686
 02-12-2019, 06:37 PM
User Info
Stirling in my opinion is definitely not a mid-pack soap.  Some of the scents are not my cup of tea but they have so many to choose from scent is easy to find.  Slick, protective, so easy to use.

6 444
 02-13-2019, 05:14 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Good stuff and performs well above the middle of the pack soaps. I particularly like the citrus scents, grapefruit, lime, and coconut lime. The Piacenza is a good copy of AdP Colonia. Now some of the others I agree are scented way too much for me, but other folks like stronger scents, so all is well.

Cheers, Steve

8 755
 02-14-2019, 08:32 AM
  • TomG
  • Perth, Western Australia
User Info
Love my Stirling Soaps.
So easy to use and dependable.  And a very large range of scents, so you can hone in on favourites.
For me, Ozark Mountain takes a lot of beating.

1 178
 02-14-2019, 03:24 PM
User Info
Stirling, from my perspective, should be considered among the very top of all the artisan soap makers I have tried.  Out of a couple dozen I can speak for, it is top two or three, easily, and the same can be said when comparing to more established non-artisan offerings.  Their scents are more prominent than others, but to me that is a subjective preference.  They have a huge variety and seem to take pride in delivering a scent that is exactly as advertised, along with superb slickness and other qualities.  They consistently provide extra samples and have responsive service when ordering.  

I think at one point very early on and several years ago, Rod mentioned that he had gotten some tallow with undesirable qualities, and they then switched providers without further issues.

They have made a point to consistently provide products at an affordable price, and maybe not charging as much has led some to mistakenly believe the products are less than premium.  This is definitely a case where the quality wildly exceeds the price when compared to others, and soap generally appears without correlation between quality and price.

I think any discussion of the quality of shave soap that is critical should be subject to the idea that a great deal of the performance of the soap is subject to local water chemistry.  I have tried a great many well-respected and highly esteemed creams and soaps on these forums that were simply terrible, unusable at home in my local water.  Then these same creams and soaps would be brilliant in another geographic area with totally different water chemistry.

35 272
 02-21-2019, 03:18 PM
  • KRpdx
  • Portland, OR
User Info
Stirling will always be in my rotation with Grooming Dept and Mystic Water. I especially like Island Man (don't know a another Creed clone out there that has quite the fragrance) and Executive Man. Great performance and robust scents.

14 181
 02-26-2019, 06:49 AM
User Info
I love Stirling, have been using Haverford and Deep Blue Sea a lot!!!!! I am a sucker for great cologne dupes and they have did an awesome job on these, as I love Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille and Bleu De Chanel. 

Of course you can't go without Executive Man also, which is probably my favorite out of the ten Stirling soaps that I have.

0 1
 04-09-2019, 02:55 PM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
Count me among those who rank Stirling close to the top.

15 892
 04-09-2019, 03:00 PM
User Info
If Stirling changed their name, packaging and raised their price by 200% while doing nothing different to the actual product, everyone would be raving about this amazing soap.

73 5,545
 04-10-2019, 09:20 AM
User Info
Bahahahah! Too right Primo!

Vr

Matt

32 1,686
 04-10-2019, 03:00 PM
User Info
(04-10-2019, 09:20 AM)Ols67 Wrote: Bahahahah!  Too right Primo!

Vr

Matt
Sad, but true.

73 5,545