02-19-2019, 10:45 AM
User Info
I am interested in purchased a Muhle or EJ synthetic Fibre V2 brush.  I am debating between the Large (23mm) or XL (25mm).  Could any of you measure your Bloom Diameter for either of these sizes?  Mostly I use boar brushes and their blooms are fairly narrow compared to synthetics which is why I am having difficulty deciding if the XL is too large.  I mostly bowl lather using hard soaps.  mm preferred. Thanks.

eric

9 171
 02-19-2019, 11:35 AM
User Info
My Muhle XL measured 25mm at the top of the handle, and approximately 58mm at the widest point of the bloom.  I do not find the bloom too large to be an issue.

57 9,035
 02-19-2019, 12:23 PM
User Info
I confirm the Xl is 57-58mm at the bloom.  However, if you use hard soap you should care more about density (which translates to stiffness and backbone) than size of bloom dia., IMO.  After all, consider the fact that you are going to use a wet (not dry) brush and diameter will shrink considerably. 

I had sizes M and L, but the XL is the only one which does the job done.  For some reason there is not even comparison how XL feels on the face vs. size L.  XL is in another league, so to speak.  It is not big at all, it's just right.  I think the rest of the sizes are not worth the money, because they feel so “shallow” and sloppy  (especially lathering hard soaps).

0 24
 02-19-2019, 01:36 PM
User Info
(02-19-2019, 12:23 PM)Martini Wrote: I confirm the Xl is 57-58mm at the bloom.  However, if you use hard soap you should care more about density (which translates to stiffness and backbone) than size of bloom dia., IMO.  After all, consider the fact that you are going to use a wet (not dry) brush and diameter will shrink considerably. 

I had sizes M and L, but the XL is the only one which does the job done.  For some reason there is not even comparison how XL feels on the face vs. size L.  XL is in another league, so to speak.  It is not big at all, it's just right.  I think the rest of the sizes are not worth the money, because they feel so “shallow” and sloppy  (especially lathering hard soaps).

Thanks for your reply.  A lot to consider, and these aren't inexpensive brushes.  I can't wait for someone to chime in and tell me to get both! Tongue

eric

9 171
 02-19-2019, 02:10 PM
  • w_mcnabb
  • San Antonio, TX
User Info
Obligatory GET BOTH.

96 498
 02-19-2019, 08:31 PM
  • Nero
User Info
I prefer the L... I've also had the XL but was not for me.

Funny thing is my uncle has the XL and coincidentally he appears to be the only person who agrees with me that the XL a bit overkill... and that it slings lather all over the bathroom.

84 3,678
 02-19-2019, 08:59 PM
User Info
(02-19-2019, 12:23 PM)Martini Wrote: I had sizes M and L, but the XL is the only one which does the job done.  For some reason there is not even comparison how XL feels on the face vs. size L.  XL is in another league, so to speak.  It is not big at all, it's just right.  I think the rest of the sizes are not worth the money, because they feel so “shallow” and sloppy  (especially lathering hard soaps).

I agree. I tried both the L and the XL. I loved the XL but found the L to be lacking and significantly different from the XL.

7 118
 02-20-2019, 12:29 AM
User Info
(02-19-2019, 08:31 PM)Nero Wrote: Funny thing is my uncle has the XL and coincidentally he appears to be the only person who agrees with me that the XL a bit overkill... and that it slings lather all over the bathroom.

This is not a problem of the size, but rather how much water is in the brush.  Synthetic don't have to be soaked like a badger and it needs to be shaken well before loading.  Synts with high loft tend to collect water at the bottom and then release it in uncontrolled way, spilling the lather all over the place.  Only tips should be dipped/watered few times until proper lather consistency is reached. 

The most important difference (drawback) between synts and natural bristles – synts don’t absorb water.  If this is kept in mind, the rest works just fine and in favor of synthetics.

0 24
 02-20-2019, 07:09 AM
User Info
(02-20-2019, 12:29 AM)Martini Wrote:
(02-19-2019, 08:31 PM)Nero Wrote: Funny thing is my uncle has the XL and coincidentally he appears to be the only person who agrees with me that the XL a bit overkill... and that it slings lather all over the bathroom.

This is not a problem of the size, but rather how much water is in the brush.  Synthetic don't have to be soaked like a badger and it needs to be shaken well before loading.  Synts with high loft tend to collect water at the bottom and then release it in uncontrolled way, spilling the lather all over the place.  Only tips should be dipped/watered few times until proper lather consistency is reached. 

The most important difference (drawback) between synts and natural bristles – synts don’t absorb water.  If this is kept in mind, the rest works just fine and in favor of synthetics.

Thanks for the "tip". I will keep it in mind when my EJ XL fibre v2 brush arrives.  It will be my first synthetic brush.

eric

9 171