02-21-2019, 05:49 AM
User Info
This may sound like a stupid question but I ask it because since I've taken up shaving as a hobby and use only quality soaps, my bathroom sink blocks up about every 2 years.

Two years ago I ran a snake thru it and now here I am again with the water draining very slow. I don't get hairs or other stuff you might think only like a black sludge.
I never use the canned shaving soap only quality soap. I did notice that since I started this hobby about 8 years ago, my bathroom sink does get a soap film on it that it never got before.
This is becoming a problem to the point that I am considering using canned soap again which I really don't want to do.
So do you think that the shaving soap could be the problem?  

5 1,935
 02-21-2019, 05:56 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
This hasn’t been a problem for me. During my shave, as the razor head accumulates lather and whiskers, I run the hot water, rinsing the razor and sink frequently. This seems to proactively address any clogs that may ensue.

19 4,563
 02-21-2019, 06:19 AM
User Info
(02-21-2019, 05:56 AM)chazt Wrote: This hasn’t been a problem for me. During my shave, as the razor head accumulates lather and whiskers, I run the hot water, rinsing the razor and sink frequently. This seems to proactively address any clogs that may ensue.

I am doing the same thing and it seem to have resolved that probleme. I also fill up my sink with hot water every couple of day. And also use boiled water once in a while...

Don't go back to gooped can!

I have heard somewhere else that if you spend a couple of day without shaving ( a week or more?) that it is better to remove the whiskers on paper towel and put it in the toillet instead of the sink. But since i shave 6 or 7 days a week, I dont have this problem.

0 287
 02-21-2019, 06:36 AM
User Info
(02-21-2019, 05:56 AM)chazt Wrote: This hasn’t been a problem for me. During my shave, as the razor head accumulates lather and whiskers, I run the hot water, rinsing the razor and sink frequently. This seems to proactively address any clogs that may ensue.

Of course I rinse my razor head while shaving, how else would you do it. I was thinking maybe if I dump extra hot water in the sink once in awhile it may help.

I thinking once a week I will fill the sink up half way with hot water and then let it drain. That might help.

5 1,935
 02-21-2019, 12:18 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
you could try liquid plumber or any of that group of drain cleaners. 
sounds more like you have roots in your sewage pipe. 
or you could have a fat blob (cooking oil and baby wipes) in your towns sewage system. ask your neighbors if they have a similar problem.
London dug one blob out a few years ago that was several tons. 
i cant imagine that the tiny bit of soap you use while shaving and the tiny amount of whiskers you wash out of the blade could clog a sink

0 482
 02-21-2019, 12:21 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I have this problem as well. We have fairly hard water and I think that may be part of the issue.

53 21,655
 02-21-2019, 01:06 PM
User Info
I also have hard water and sink clogs since I started wet shaving. Some soaps seem worse than others in this regards.

19 176
 02-21-2019, 01:31 PM
User Info
Someone suggested to me to try hot water.  So once a week I am going to fill my sink about half way with hot water and then let it drain.  I hope to stay ahead of the problem this way.  It does make sense.

5 1,935
 02-21-2019, 01:37 PM
User Info
(02-21-2019, 12:18 PM)RyznRio Wrote: you could try liquid plumber or any of that group of drain cleaners. 
or you could have a fat blob (cooking oil and baby wipes) in your towns sewage system. ask your neighbors if they have a similar problem.
i cant imagine that the tiny bit of soap you use while shaving and the tiny amount of whiskers you wash out of the blade could clog a sink

It's none of those things. This is a build up of sludge over time. It's like a black mud.

5 1,935
 02-21-2019, 02:25 PM
User Info
A cup of white vinegar should help as well. I do that 2-3 times a year, especially in anticipation to the colder months.

9 1,611
 02-21-2019, 02:49 PM
User Info
(02-21-2019, 02:25 PM)lloydrm Wrote: A cup of white vinegar should help as well. I do that 2-3 times a year, especially in anticipation to the colder months.

It seems like a good idea but if my problem is for example 3 feet down the pipe, will a cup of vinegar have much potency by the time it gets there?

5 1,935
 02-21-2019, 03:52 PM
User Info
When our drains get slow, we simply pour 1/4 – 1/2 Cup of baking soda down the drain. 
Then follow with 1/2 Cup or more of white distilled vinegar. 
The vinegar and baking soda combined will fizz, helping to naturally clear drains without toxins and are safe for pipes. 
Let fizz for several minutes, then follow with hot water – or water you’ve brought just to a boil – down the drain to rinse free the baking soda and vinegar. 

67 1,985
 02-21-2019, 04:48 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
(02-21-2019, 01:37 PM)shave/brush Wrote:
(02-21-2019, 12:18 PM)RyznRio Wrote: you could try liquid plumber or any of that group of drain cleaners. 

It's none of those things. This is a build up of sludge over time. It's like a black mud.

well Ron,  I hope you work out the source and solution to your plumbing problems. maybe hiring a plumber might offer professional help and proper techniques to resolve this issue.

0 482
 02-21-2019, 05:28 PM
User Info
(02-21-2019, 04:48 PM)RyznRio Wrote:
(02-21-2019, 01:37 PM)shave/brush Wrote:

well Ron,  I hope you work out the source and solution to your plumbing problems. maybe hiring a plumber might offer professional help and proper techniques to resolve this issue.

My neighbor and friend is a professional plumber. He spent awhile on it. We finally got it but I don't want to go thru this every two years.

5 1,935
 02-21-2019, 06:51 PM
User Info
(02-21-2019, 02:49 PM)shave/brush Wrote:
(02-21-2019, 02:25 PM)lloydrm Wrote: A cup of white vinegar should help as well. I do that 2-3 times a year, especially in anticipation to the colder months.

It seems like a good idea but if my problem is for example 3 feet down the pipe, will a cup of vinegar have much potency by the time it gets there?

Yeah, it is more of a preventive maintenance approach than a solution when it's already slow.

9 1,611
 02-21-2019, 06:55 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(02-21-2019, 03:52 PM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: When our drains get slow, we simply pour 1/4 – 1/2 Cup of baking soda down the drain. 
The vinegar and baking soda combined will fizz, helping to naturally clear drains without toxins and are safe for pipes. 
Let fizz for several minutes, then follow with hot water – or water you’ve brought just to a boil – down the drain to rinse free the baking soda and vinegar. 

Yes. We do this periodically for the shower drains when they start to show signs of slowing down. Works like a charm. Thankfully we have never had similar problems with the bathroom sink. Watch. Tomorrow it’ll start running slow.

19 4,563
 02-21-2019, 07:18 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
(02-21-2019, 05:49 AM)shave/brush Wrote: This may sound like a stupid question but I ask it because since I've taken up shaving as a hobby and use only quality soaps, my bathroom sink blocks up about every 2 years.

Two years ago I ran a snake thru it and now here I am again with the water draining very slow. I don't get hairs or other stuff you might think only like a black sludge.
I never use the canned shaving soap only quality soap. I did notice that since I started this hobby about 8 years ago, my bathroom sink does get a soap film on it that it never got before.
This is becoming a problem to the point that I am considering using canned soap again which I really don't want to do.
So do you think that the shaving soap could be the problem?  

I had to replace my bathroom faucet this week and while I was removing the drain pipes I found just as you described, a thick black rubbery sludge almost filling the pipes. I'm actually surprised it still drained. My first thought was all the shaving soap that gets rinsed down the drain. It was a mess to clean out and of course I could only remove it from the sections up to the wall. This stuff is pretty thick and I would be surprised if anything but mechanical removal would work. I'm going to be trying any suggestions to keep it from building again.

68 5,620
 02-22-2019, 05:02 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
(02-21-2019, 05:28 PM)shave/brush Wrote:
(02-21-2019, 04:48 PM)RyznRio Wrote:
(02-21-2019, 01:37 PM)shave/brush Wrote: It's none of those things. This is a build up of sludge over time. It's like a black mud.

My neighbor and friend is a professional plumber. He spent awhile on it. We finally got it but I don't want to go thru this every two years.

i am curious Ron, what did the plumber think was causing the black sludge problem? what did he recommend as a preventive remedy?

0 482
 02-22-2019, 05:20 AM
User Info
(02-21-2019, 03:52 PM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: When our drains get slow, we simply pour 1/4 – 1/2 Cup of baking soda down the drain. 

Signs011 I've had this problem for years......This works.
This is best if you have a septic tank. DO NOT USE DRANO / LIQUID PLUMBER IF YOU HAVE A SEPTIC TANK

1 1,073
 02-22-2019, 06:18 AM
User Info
(02-21-2019, 07:18 PM)eengler Wrote: I had to replace my bathroom faucet this week and while I was removing the drain pipes I found just as you described, a thick black rubbery sludge almost filling the pipes. I'm actually surprised it still drained. My first thought was all the shaving soap that gets rinsed down the drain. It was a mess to clean out and of course I could only remove it from the sections up to the wall. This stuff is pretty thick and I would be surprised if anything but mechanical removal would work. I'm going to be trying any suggestions to keep it from building again.

From what I've read so far I think the best thing is to once a week fill your sink with hot water and then pull the plug and let it drain. It should stay ahead of the sludge that way.

5 1,935