02-21-2019, 03:17 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I knew I was going to buy a Raw Shaving 18 as soon as I saw them. It was just a matter of deciding between the 10 and the 18. I saw a review of the 18 on youtube and the reviewer really knocked the razor. However, as I watched him shave I noticed he kept leaving a line of shave cream on his face. Further observation revealed he was holding the razor at a very acute angle. I have never had to hold a DE razor at that acute of an angle. I began to suspect that the negative review was based on shaver's error rather than razor performance.
Now the question became was the 18 worth the $50 more than the 10. In addition, if I bought the 18 I would have the added expense of buying the lubricating strips. In addition to the expense of the strips what if this new unproven company went out of business and replacement parts became impossible to obtain?
While trying to decide which model to buy the answer revealed itself. A fellow list member listed an almost unused 18 with eight packages (16) replacement sets of lubrication inserts for a price below that of the RS10. My decision was made and the purchase swiftly followed.
The presentation box and quality of build have been explored in other reviews. I will limit my observations to the quality of the shave with an RS18. I really do not know just how much the grey inserts contribute to the glide of the razor. All my shaves with the razor used either, Antica Barberia Colla , Le Savoniiere du Moulin or Xpec shave cream. All of these soaps result in a drag free shave. As a test, I tried some passes with the inserts removed. The result of this maneuver was I did experience less comfort and perhaps more drag with the razor. However, it should be noted, by removing the inserts the presenting edge of the razor and the gap of the razor are changed. The inserts probably do provide some lubrication to the shave cream but with good quality shave cream, the improvement is hardly noticeable. In addition, over the course of the trials, I used several different DE blades. The razor performed excellently with all the blades I tried. For me, Feather blades seemed to perform the best. However, this finding may just be a personal preference. There is some blade feel with the razor but the blade feel is not at all annoying. The razor has excellent auditory feedback and without the little bit of blade feel there probably would be little or no feedback.
I intended to shave with this razor for a week and then, if I liked it, include it in my rotation of razors. The first week went by and I experienced some of the smoothest, cleanest clog free, non-irritating, trauma-free shaves I have ever had. I decided the razor was a definite keeper and I would write a favorable review of the razor for TSN. The second week I owned the razor I woke up each morning and thought which of my razors I would use that morning. I would then proceed to shave with the RS 18. The same exact process occurred for the third week in a row. The bottom line is:
1. My other razors are convinced I no longer love them
2. I unequivocally recommend the RS18 razor.

96 1,235
 02-21-2019, 04:09 PM
User Info
Excellent summation of the RS18. I too went thru the struggle of 10 or 18 and I went with the 10 for the exact reasons you had questioning the 18.  I have been extremely happy with my RS10 to the point i bought the Titanium version also.  The shaves for me are extremely smooth and I agree the Feather is the best choice, it improves the duration of the BBS.

29 500
 02-21-2019, 04:53 PM
User Info
Barry,

I am so happy that you like the RS-18 that much! My other razors feel unloved and unwanted as well, because I have experienced a similar phenomena with the RS-10!

Sometimes I like to break it up and use another razor.

However, the fact remains I could use the RS-10 with a fresh GSB for the rest of my days with zero concerns!

Have a great shave!

Vr

Matt

29 1,363
 02-22-2019, 01:50 PM
User Info
Great review.  As an added bonus, it is readily available.

1 504
 03-07-2019, 01:59 PM
User Info
I received an Email today from Avi that Raw shaving is closing operations as of today.  This is very sad news to me as I have found the RS10 to be a fabulous razor.

29 500
 03-07-2019, 02:22 PM
User Info
RIP RAW SHAVING! Magnificent razors! I am glad that I have one since they seem to be sold out everywhere!

Vr

Matt

29 1,363
 03-07-2019, 02:36 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Worcester
User Info
Dang, I was hoping to try the RS-10 some day.

39 1,911
 03-07-2019, 02:49 PM
User Info
Did he by any chance say how long Ricardo?  Buying one seems like a roll of the dice!

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Vr

Matt

29 1,363
 03-07-2019, 03:08 PM
User Info
(03-07-2019, 02:49 PM)Ols67 Wrote: Did he by any chance say how long Ricardo?  Buying one seems like a roll of the dice!

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Vr

Matt

This is what Avi said in the email I saw:

In regards to the RS-18 lubrications strips, I will continue to support and anyone that still have the need to buy them, will still be able to sell them in the next few years.

58 9,205
 03-07-2019, 03:15 PM
User Info
(03-07-2019, 03:08 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(03-07-2019, 02:49 PM)Ols67 Wrote: Did he by any chance say how long Ricardo?  Buying one seems like a roll of the dice!

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Vr

Matt

This is what Avi said in the email I saw:

In regards to the RS-18 lubrications strips, I will continue to support and anyone that still have the need to buy them, will still be able to sell them in the next few years.

That is stand up!

Might be smart for folks that love the RS-18 to buy a lifetime supply now!  That’s what I would do if I had one!

Vr

Matt

29 1,363
 03-07-2019, 03:23 PM
  • Niro884
  • Stoney Creek, Ontario CANADA
User Info
This is sad news. I cannot say enough good things about the RS-10 razor and even more so how great of a person Avi has been deal with. I will treasure my RS-10.

71 927
 03-07-2019, 03:23 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Phil still has the RS-18 in stock...

15 3,535
 03-10-2019, 10:46 PM
User Info
Will the RS-18 work without the lubrication strips?  If not, what do you do when you run out and Raw Shaving isn't around for more?  I would think someone is going to need to machine a delrin plastic copy for the razor.

5 22
 03-11-2019, 08:46 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
The plastic doesn't seem to dissolve it just stops lubricating after a while. The razor works without the strips but not as well.

96 1,235
 03-11-2019, 04:40 PM
User Info
(03-11-2019, 08:46 AM)Barrylu Wrote: The plastic doesn't seem to dissolve it just stops lubricating after a while. The razor works without the strips but not as well.

What exactly does the lubricating piece look like, how does it work? Maybe it can be "reloaded".

1 1,073
 04-03-2019, 12:13 PM
User Info
(03-11-2019, 08:46 AM)Barrylu Wrote: The plastic doesn't seem to dissolve it just stops lubricating after a while. The razor works without the strips but not as well.

How much of a difference is there actually?  To what other razors can you compare the RS-18 without the strip?
Thanks.

230 13,448
 04-03-2019, 01:37 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(04-03-2019, 12:13 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: [quote='Barrylu' pid='910411' dateline='1552322783']
The plastic doesn't seem to dissolve it just stops lubricating after a while. The razor works without the strips but not as well.

How much of a difference is there actually?  To what other razors can you compare the RS-18 without the strip?
Thanks.

For me, I really do not notice any improvement with the strip. However, I tend to use high priced shave soaps, and or, uber lathers with added glycerin. Any extra lubrication from the strips is really not noticeable. The big difference is in the shave itself. The 18 is a fairly aggressive shaver, but a bit less aggressive that the 10 with the aggressive plate. I have been using the 10 with a feather blade and the 18 with a Russian blade (starts Vok something or other). I alternate between the two razors with great results. I have been using XPEC cream with excellent results from both razors. I do not particularly like Wolfman razors. I prefer his Guerilla model better than the Wolfman. I would rate The Guerilla a second to the Raw Shave razor. however, it is second but really not in the same league.

96 1,235
 04-13-2019, 10:05 AM
User Info
Those Russian blades are Voskhod blades - I actually like them. I also have been using XPEC unscented soap - makes a great lather. It's hard to read this thread and not want to try my RS-18 - but I still think I'll sell it without trying it - better to not give into temptation - the RS-10 also gives a great shave - not sure I'd be able to tell the difference :-)

19 132
 04-13-2019, 10:28 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
The main reason I chose the RS-10 over the RS-18 is that I completely disassemble my razors after each shave, clean all the parts, lube the blade and parts, and then reassemble for the next shave. The RS-18 has two additional parts to clean and these two additional plastic/lubrication parts have many more nooks and crannies to clean and dry. Now that the company is defunct, and although Avi has stated that there are still lubrication plates still available, it's only a matter of time before the supply is depleted. I guess someone could 3D print replacement plates without the lubrication component.

15 699
 04-13-2019, 10:38 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I notice no wear on the plates. The top one seems to just act as a shim. The bottom holds the lubrication. I believe that the bottom plate could be recharged with an overnight soaking in pre-shave oil or Glycerin. As for the blades I have now replaced the blades in both razors with the new Gillette Platinum blades sold by Bullgoose. The first shave with the 10 was better than with the Feather I was using. Tomorrow I will shave with the 18 and the Gillette.

96 1,235