02-24-2019, 08:40 AM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
This is a quick shout out to Lisa at Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations.

I saw several really positive comments about Lisa's soaps.  Being afflicted with SSAD, I went to her site and ordered one of her artisan soaps - Amber Tobacco.
That was Tuesday evening.  Yesterday, it arrived.  Great shipping time.

I used the soap this morning.  I like the lather.  It's very slick.  The scent is good.  It's definitely too soon to tell where this soap will fit in my shelf, but it left my skin feeling very pleasant.

And there was a lagniappe - a sample of her Post Shave Elixir (unscented).  And I like it.  Not greasy, absorbed fast.

Some of the scent profiles don't resonate with me, but a couple more interest me.  And I'm interested in trying a body bar as well.

Good job Lisa.
[Image: rkzZgKu.jpg]

[Image: jNqMtFR.jpg]

66 1,949
 02-24-2019, 09:08 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I love her soaps, they're in my top tier.  The balm is really good too.  I have the Gentleman's Lavender and Irish Green Tweed.

49 2,170
 02-24-2019, 10:01 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
I am really enjoying the deep dark scent of LNHC Somali Rose. it is one of the paper wrapped 3.5oz pucks and exhibits all of the properties of a fine shave soap. 

I am wondering how it compares with the artisan brand. 

I guess there is only one way to find out. 

I have seen forever blade banks that deposit the blades inside of a wall. anyone have something like that for soap? like a built in turntable for spices.

the pumpkin oud is on sale? curious about the scent. anyone have any experience with LNHC pumpkin oud?

0 482
 02-24-2019, 11:31 AM
User Info
I also have Amber & Tobacco and it lathers as good as anything I have tried. This is a seriously rich and creamy lather. The scent is ok. Definitely does not offend. I get mostly incense and not really any tobacco. But my issue is with a little bit of the dreaded tallow funk scent coming through. It does go away if I leave the cap off over night. Anyone else notice this?

46 1,283
 02-24-2019, 12:15 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
(02-24-2019, 11:31 AM)shevek Wrote: I also have Amber & Tobacco and it lathers as good as anything I have tried. This is a seriously rich and creamy lather. The scent is ok. Definitely does not offend. I get mostly incense and not really any tobacco. But my issue is with a little bit of the dreaded tallow funk scent coming through. It does go away if I leave the cap off over night. Anyone else notice this?

i am not sure if the 3.5oz pucks have tallow but the scent of somali rose is not funky.

0 482
 02-24-2019, 12:31 PM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
(02-24-2019, 11:31 AM)shevek Wrote: But my issue is with a little bit of the dreaded tallow funk scent coming through. It does go away if I leave the cap off over night. Anyone else notice this?

Thanks for the observation.  I'll pay attention to morrow morning and see if I notice anything.  I sure don't recall any funky odor this morning.  I did notice that the soap was a bit thirty, but adding water is pretty simple.  LOL

66 1,949
 02-24-2019, 04:19 PM
User Info
Great soaps. I've got the Green Tweed. Excellent slickness and post shave.

0 88
 02-24-2019, 06:32 PM
User Info
I just picked up a tub of her Doc Holiday and agree with you all. Excellent lather and a very pleasant scent.

9 153
 02-24-2019, 06:39 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
I like the new Lisa's soaps very much, but I love the old "premium" line just as much, or more so. I enjoy seeing new iterations from soap makers, but I no longer assume that the new version is better than the old. (Declaration Icarus vs. Bison is another case in point.) I'd like to think that the great soap makers (like Lisa and Declaration) have already achieved greatness, and are now simply choosing to present it in a different way.

17 728
 02-24-2019, 06:56 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Yep, good stuff.

12 814
 02-25-2019, 06:38 AM
User Info
(02-24-2019, 12:31 PM)MaxP Wrote:
(02-24-2019, 11:31 AM)shevek Wrote: But my issue is with a little bit of the dreaded tallow funk scent coming through. It does go away if I leave the cap off over night. Anyone else notice this?

Thanks for the observation.  I'll pay attention to morrow morning and see if I notice anything.  I sure don't recall any funky odor this morning.  I did notice that the soap was a bit thirty, but adding water is pretty simple.  LOL

Lisa did respond to my inquiry about this and believed it was an issue with a batch from back in November. It's great that she keeps a batch identifier on every tub to help with tracing issues. She believes the sheep's milk that was used needed more time to ventilate and is offering to take care of it for me which is great service. I still enjoy the soap quite a bit so I am not looking for any reimbursement or replacement. Also, I don't see anyone else complaining about this so it was probably just a one time issue.

46 1,283
 02-25-2019, 06:19 PM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
This morning I used the Amber Tobacco for the second time.

Still a fine lather, great post shave feel on my face.

There was NO hint of tallow funk (I paid close attention. I also asked my wifemate to sniff it as well. NADA)

Amber Tobacco won't make it to the top shelf for scent preference though. In my shelf, the top scent spot belongs to SV Cosmo.

66 1,949
 02-25-2019, 07:17 PM
User Info
(02-25-2019, 06:19 PM)MaxP Wrote: This morning I used the Amber Tobacco for the second time.  

Still a fine lather, great post shave feel on my face.

There was NO hint of tallow funk (I paid close attention.  I also asked my wifemate to sniff it as well.  NADA)

Amber Tobacco won't make it to the top shelf for scent preference though.  In my shelf, the top scent spot belongs to SV Cosmo.

Thanks for checking. Glad it is not a widespread issue. The lather is so nice that I will try another scent at some point. Probably Smoked Black Tea or the new one Isle of Skye.

46 1,283