09-14-2012, 08:47 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Merkur's slant - A sheep in wolf's clothing?

In the interests of diversifying my shaving horizons... Lightbulb No I haven't experimented with shaving areas other than my face! Tongue Instead, I recently acquired a Merkur SLANT (aka the 37C). Biggrin

I had always shied away from the slant, as I thought this style of razor to be a fierce-some beast.

But, my first few experiences with it couldn't be further from the truth.

I'm not sure if the slant's reputation as an aggressive tool is simply reserved for other marker's versions, but when it comes to the Merkur 37C it's certainly underserved. I found the 37C to certainly be effective. Much more so than the mild OC (11C) and definitely more so than the even milder SB (34C), but aggressive it was not.

I have a coarse beard, omni directional growth, sensitive skin and am prone to ingrown hairs. I experimented with angle and pressure and found this razor to be smooth, comfortable and forgiving. The slant rewarded me with a close shave and without any hint of irritation.

Other than perhaps the Cobra, I've traded using any of my SB razors for OC, my favourites being the older Muhle R101 (2010 head) and my iKon OC bulldog (which is essentially a Gillette New Deluxe). But the Merkur slant is now giving them a run for their money. All these mentioned razors provide me a comfortable and effective shave free from any irritation.

Now my question, is the Merkur 37C really an accurate measure of a slant's aggressiveness?

I enjoy my Joris, FaTip and current R41, but use all with a little more care an attention than the razors mentioned in the previous paragraphs. So is there a slant that is a little closer to these in terms of commanding a little more "user respect"... ?

91 17,875
 09-14-2012, 08:56 PM
User Info
I agree with you, Ben. The Slant 37 has a reputation for being aggressive, which could not be further from my experience.

3 315
 09-14-2012, 09:02 PM
User Info
First, it's good to see you back around the Nook Ben!

Second, I'd have to agree with your assessment on the slant. It's the only DE razor that I'll use anymore and the only DE that I plan on purchasing/acquiring in the future is an open comb slant whenever and wherever I can find one. Slants give me a very efficient and smooth shave with no irritation. They are a joy to use. Like you, i have very coarse stubble along with the omni-direction growth. My skin can be sensitive but the biggest issue for me is that my capillaries are quite close to the surface so I'm very prone to weepers.

I've used the '11 R41, FaTip, and Gillette Old type. For me the slant is head and shoulders above the rest and is the only DE left in my Nook. I started with the 39C (Sledgehammer or Barber Pole slant) and I just recently acquired the 37C. Unfortunately for the 37C I also received an EverReady Streamline on the same day so it may be awhile before the 37C gets a workout.

Now with all of your positive new experiences (partly boar brush and now a slant), I'm curious what is next for you to try!

31 7,914
 09-14-2012, 09:50 PM
User Info
I think the slant gets its aggresive rep. from some folks not knowing how to load the blade properly.

9 1,199
 09-14-2012, 10:00 PM
User Info
(09-14-2012, 09:50 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: I think the slant gets its aggresive rep. from some folks not knowing how to load the blade properly.

Precisely! I think the slant is a bit more prone to this than other razors. Compare each side after loading to make sure the blade is not twisted.

47 1,270
 09-14-2012, 10:12 PM
User Info
I bought my first slant from a guy who said he was fed up with trying to get the blade loaded right. After reading how he was loading it, it's a wonder he didn't hack himself to death.Huh

I hope you continue to enjoy yours, Tom!

(09-14-2012, 10:00 PM)kentclark Wrote:
(09-14-2012, 09:50 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: I think the slant gets its aggresive rep. from some folks not knowing how to load the blade properly.

Precisely! I think the slant is a bit more prone to this than other razors. Compare each side after loading to make sure the blade is not twisted.

9 1,199
 09-16-2012, 02:07 PM
User Info
I recently picked up a 37c and the initial shaves have been wonderful. My very first DE razor since I came back to DE shaving was the 34c, and from there I moved to big large expensive razors. I am slowly thinning my stock out as I have finally come to appreciate the handle / weight of the short handled Merkur line. Between the 11c, 34c and 37c they are some nice razors.

I think anyone wondering what all the fuss is about with a slant give the 37c (or 39c for the long handle) a try.

129 6,685
 09-16-2012, 04:27 PM
User Info
i guess i should try it, again. What else do i have to do for the next few years. Hee hee.

75 20,883
 09-16-2012, 07:45 PM
User Info
I acquired a 37C about a month ago, amid fear and trepidation, in the quest for a more efficient and closer shave. In my experience, the "reputation" is undeserved. I get great, close shaves without irritation or weepers. Put me down as a slant fan.

15 316
 09-16-2012, 07:58 PM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
I have the 39C...I have never found it to be particularly aggressive - at least not when compared to R41s, Fatips, Barbasols, etc...

I do think it's an outstanding design and shaving tool - probably the reason it has been around over 70 years or so.

29 466
 09-17-2012, 08:51 AM
  • Mr Happy
  • Sandhurst, England
User Info
I've only been DE shaving for 6 weeks or so and have my heart set on a Muhle R89. However, I have been reading about the Merkur 37c and wonder if I should take the plunge and go for this instead. I have been very put off by people's comments about the 37c to date.
I have coarse, omni directional, fast growing hair and I wonder whether this could give me a really good shave, with fewer weepers. However, I wonder whether my weepers are down to technique and the very cheap £4 razor (which I have been using simply to try out DE shaving)? I use Feather blades and already get a really nice shave, I just get lots of weepers and a little irritation on the base of my neck. I had planned to go with the Muhle for 6 - 12 months to hone my skills and then get one. What are people's thoughts.... to wait or not to wait?

0 26
 09-17-2012, 09:01 AM
  • brian
  • I wear sandalwood sandles
  • THE SWAMP (Florida)
User Info
(09-17-2012, 08:51 AM)Mr Happy Wrote: I've only been DE shaving for 6 weeks or so and have my heart set on a Muhle R89. However, I have been reading about the Merkur 37c and wonder if I should take the plunge and go for this instead. I have been very put off by people's comments about the 37c to date.
I have coarse, omni directional, fast growing hair and I wonder whether this could give me a really good shave, with fewer weepers. However, I wonder whether my weepers are down to technique and the very cheap £4 razor (which I have been using to try out DE shaving)? I just don't know yet. I had planned to go with the Muhle for 6 - 12 months, hone my skills and then get one, but what are people's thoughts.... to wait or not to wait?

Hey there Mr Happy, and welcome to the Nook!

One thing you'll notice most people universally advise about the slant is that it's for a well-trained hand.
I enjoy mine thoroughly and it's without a doubt one of my favorite shaves, but I think n00b + slant could spell disaster.

My humble advice would be to purchase and enjoy your DE89 and learn all you can about your face and your personal skin before jumping to a slant.

Now - would you kindly oblige us and introduce yourself in the "introductions" area of the forum? We'd love to hear a little more about you! Biggrin

11 366
 09-17-2012, 09:28 AM
User Info
(09-17-2012, 08:51 AM)Mr Happy Wrote: I've only been DE shaving for 6 weeks or so and have my heart set on a Muhle R89. However, I have been reading about the Merkur 37c and wonder if I should take the plunge and go for this instead. I have been very put off by people's comments about the 37c to date.
I have coarse, omni directional, fast growing hair and I wonder whether this could give me a really good shave, with fewer weepers. However, I wonder whether my weepers are down to technique and the very cheap £4 razor (which I have been using simply to try out DE shaving)? I use Feather blades and already get a really nice shave, I just get lots of weepers and a little irritation on the base of my neck. I had planned to go with the Muhle for 6 - 12 months to hone my skills and then get one. What are people's thoughts.... to wait or not to wait?

I think in the long run the 37c may be a GREAT razor for you, but I too advise getting a bit more familiar with DE shaving before taking the plunge. May I suggest moving to a Merkur 34c (aka HD) instead of the 89? This will help you get used to the handle / shave technique you will use with the 37c slant. The 37c is a "mild slant" if there is such a thing so moving from the 34c to 37c would be a natural progression and easily mastered by you.

Also (and I bet this gets some feedback) you may want to move away from Feather blades as your first set of blades as they are amongst the sharpest on the planet and far less forgiving than others. I personally like Persona Reds. They are sharper than average but pretty forgiving.

Good luck,
Doug

129 6,685
 09-17-2012, 09:32 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(09-17-2012, 08:51 AM)Mr Happy Wrote: I use Feather blades and already get a really nice shave, I just get lots of weepers and a little irritation on the base of my neck.

Hi

Brian's advice is solid (IMHO).

Additionally have you tried offer DE blades, or only Feathers so far?

If only Feathers you might be best taking the time to investigate some different DE blades, other DE blades might very well suit you better...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 09-17-2012, 01:56 PM
  • Mr Happy
  • Sandhurst, England
User Info
Well, thank you all for the advice, I shall take it and not go straight with a slant (excuse the play on words!). To be honest this is pretty much what I'd read elsewhere, but was interested by the title of this thread. Incidentally, I do have a sample pack of blades. I'm not easy to buy for, so my wife is buying me all the necessary bits for my foray into DE shaving for my birthday in early October. I feel like a kid again, I can't wait to try out my new kit! My mind's made up though and I'll still get the Muhle first, although thank you for the sound and logical advice Wingdo.
I'll put a post on the introductions page shortly too btw.

0 26
 09-17-2012, 05:42 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I, too, believe the slant offers a fantastic shave and do not find it aggressive. Mine is the 37G (Gold), which is no longer made but, other than that, is identical to the 37C. I read all of the horror stories but there were just enough great experience stories to pique my interest. With some trepidation I ordered the razor but was elated with it from the very first shave. Just as with any other DE, common sense and technique will have you getting great shaves with little or no problems.

For a newbie, he might want to get his technique down with a regular safety bar razor before moving on to a 37C. However, once comfortable with your shaving technique the 37C slant will prove a real eye opener.

2 11,211
 09-19-2012, 04:16 AM
User Info
I am sure that a newbie who has experience only with mainstream Merkurs and Jaggers would find the Slant to be an aggressive razor. I already had a fairly good technique when I bought mine and I think that was important. I also was cautious and didn't try a Feather blade in it until I had used it for a while.

66 692
 09-19-2012, 05:15 AM
User Info
I love the 37c. I had a problem with the 39c, where I found its weight to be too much. I would be having a nice shave and then get bit pretty bad. Also, I developed pretty bad razor burn, but I think this was more due to the alum block I used to use.

I think the slant is a very efficient razor; its reputation definitely looms larger than the reality (unlike say the 2011 R41). But it does need some caution, I have found.

72 1,407
 09-19-2012, 06:04 AM
User Info
...does anyone have the video link that shows how to load the 37C?

........if you do, would please post it?

39 1,054
 09-19-2012, 06:54 AM
User Info
(09-19-2012, 06:04 AM)leonidas Wrote: ...does anyone have the video link that shows how to load the 37C?

........if you do, would please post it?

I don't have a video, but I just make sure that the tabs of the blade sticking out the sides are parallel with head. I've found that the discussion about loading the slant to be more complicated than actually doing it.

72 1,407