02-25-2019, 04:05 PM
User Info
Noob question: Does anyone "flip over" blades between uses? I mean so the other side of the blade is "down" in the razor, every other time?
It seems intuitive to me that this would wear the edges more evenly, is that right or doesn't it matter?

0 109
 02-25-2019, 04:10 PM
User Info
Doesn’t matter. You are shaving with the edge, not the side.

5 218
 02-25-2019, 04:21 PM
User Info
I think that it is an interesting question.

I haven't think about that, but I never ask myself or noticed about which side I use to put the blade back into my razor. If it does make a difference on the edge when observed very closely, does it can make a difference in the feel of the shave? I dunno..

Maybe i can try it just to see if I feel something different!

0 67
 02-25-2019, 04:57 PM
User Info
(02-25-2019, 04:21 PM)ImJustMe Wrote: I think that it is an interesting question.

I haven't think about that, but I never ask myself or noticed about which side I use to put the blade back into my razor. If it does make a difference on the edge when observed very closely, does it can make a difference in the feel of the shave? I dunno..

Maybe i can try it just to see if I feel something different!

I was just thinking that, assuming one cannot possibly keep a perfect angle between edge and skin all the time, there must inevitably be some "scraping" and this might perhaps wear one side of the edge unevenly, or even "bend" the edge a tiny bit? If that is indeed the case, then the longevity of the blade might perhaps increase by wearing both sides of the edges?

On the other hand: I don't know anything about the relevant metallurgy so perhaps the only wear and tear that goes on is when the edge hits the whiskers. Just a thought.

0 109
 02-25-2019, 05:10 PM
User Info
I'm a flipper.  No, not the dolphin.  I flip my blade after each use.  Does it make a difference?  I have no idea.  I do lots of things without any real purpose.  I just do them.  It makes sense in my warped brain.

1 198
 02-25-2019, 05:10 PM
User Info
I only use blades once, so I don't have this issue.  In the past, when I used blades more than once, I never felt a need to flip them.  However,  I see no reason not to flip them.  I imagine those who use blades multiple times may flip them sometimes without even thinking about it.

54 8,766
 02-25-2019, 05:17 PM
User Info
(02-25-2019, 05:10 PM)MntnMan62 Wrote: I'm a flipper.  No, not the dolphin.  I flip my blade after each use.  Does it make a difference?  I have no idea.  I do lots of things without any real purpose.  I just do them.  It makes sense in my warped brain.

I am too.  I have no science to back me up on it, but it just seems to make sense.

227 13,168
 02-25-2019, 05:29 PM
User Info
I dunno if it can apply to the question we have here, but I wonder if always using the same side of the blade can create some kind of a burr just like when you sharpen a knife or a razor on a stone (on microscopic level off course). So, maybe when you flip the blade, it also happen to "de-burr" your blade in the process. I think I can ask a friend to investigate it.

0 67
 02-25-2019, 05:38 PM
User Info
Eyepop Have you ever thought...… A6 ..Sometimes we carry things toooooo far.. Sisi

1 1,032
 02-25-2019, 05:40 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I palm strop, flip and rotate between uses. Most blades are tossed after 2-3 shaves.

10 3,314
 02-25-2019, 05:58 PM
User Info
(02-25-2019, 05:38 PM)zipper Wrote: Eyepop Have you ever thought...… A6 ..Sometimes we carry things toooooo far.. Sisi

Yeah, I know. But since I am working in a place where we fabric things with a tolerance of 1 micron ( roughly 0.000039 inch ), i am curious to see what would be the impact on the edge. But like I said, even tought there is something at the very small scale happening, can we make or feel the difference?

0 67
 02-25-2019, 06:46 PM
User Info
When I used DE’s I tried flipping for a bit - still got the same number of shaves per blade. Never attempted with SE blades.

33 1,763
 02-26-2019, 04:54 AM
User Info
(02-25-2019, 05:58 PM)ImJustMe Wrote:
(02-25-2019, 05:38 PM)zipper Wrote: Eyepop Have you ever thought...… A6 ..Sometimes we carry things toooooo far.. Sisi

Yeah, I know. But since I am working in a place where we fabric things with a tolerance of 1 micron ( roughly 0.000039 inch ), i am curious to see what would be the impact on the edge. But like I said, even tought there is something at the very small scale happening, can we make or feel the difference?

you wouldn't happen to making razors now, would ya?

i realize that this is just intellectual curiosity, or an emotional or spiritual response incorporated into your shaving paradigm.

but at an average of 15 cents a blade  Huh does flipping matter? one blade one shave always the sharpest it can be, no problem

0 153
 02-26-2019, 06:08 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(02-25-2019, 04:05 PM)RazorSteve Wrote: Noob question: Does anyone "flip over" blades between uses? I mean so the other side of the blade is "down" in the razor, every other time?
It seems intuitive to me that this would wear the edges more evenly, is that right or doesn't it matter?

My routine is the disassemble the razor completely at the end of every single shave and (on days that the blade has not communicated that it has reached the end of its useful life) I store the blade between shaves on the top of my super high-tech blade holder.  (The blade holder is the plastic dosing cup from the top of a bottle of Vick’s NyQuil purchased in winter cold season circa 2013, open end down, sitting on my shelf.)  For the past three years, I have used Japanese blades, KAI and Feather, almost to the exclusion of other brands of blades, alternating between KAI and Feather each time that I wear out a blade, that is, about every five or six days.

The Feather blades have printing on both sides, with the words TRADE and MARK at the top and MADE IN JAPAN at the bottom; the printing on the obverse side is “upside down,” that is, the words MADE IN JAPAN, oriented 180°, are printed directly on the back of the blade behind the words TRADE MARK of the front of the blade.  Thus, there are four possible orientations of the blade when I reassemble the razor for the next shave:  (1) TRADE MARK at the top of the blade, printed right side up, (2) MADE IN JAPAN printed upside down at the top of the blade, (3) the “flipped over” (to use your terminology) blade from the first orientation that, like the second orientation, has MADE IN JAPAN upside down at the top of the blade, and (4) the only other possible orientation.  Therefore, with care, it would be possible to orient the blade within the razor a different way for each of four days of shaves.  But wait! there’s more:  within each shave, one can shave with only one side of the double-sided head, or with both sides, rotating the head between strokes;. and, of course, there is the possibility that the top cap and base plate of the razor head perform differently depending on their respective orientations relative to each other.

The KAI blades are completely free of printing of any kind and — if, as I do, one rinses the blade thoroughly when disassembling the razor — it would be very difficult to keep track of which orientation the blade was in for the previous shave, and consequently near-impossible to assuredly rotate the blade from shave to shave to give all four different orientations the same exposure to use over the life of the blade.  

Because I am a basically tight-arse practitioner of the scientific method, obsessive-compulsive in that regard, I have for the past three years effectively engaged in a controlled test of exactly the proposition that you question.  During a Feather week, I assiduously attempt to change the orientation of the blade each day, so that I do not repeat a specific orientation within a four-day period.  During a KAI week, I allow the blade to choose its own orientation each time I assemble the razor because I could not do otherwise, and I assume that this practice randomly results in a fairly even distribution of uses among the four orientations. 

Over this extensive period of use of the two brands of blades, I have found that — on average — I get about five shaves per Feather blade, and about six shaves per KAI blade, before the blade reaches end-of-service.  My theory is that the difference in durability between the brands of blade is probably attributable to differing types of steel used and a different technique of honing the respective blades.  (I have found that the specific shaving soap in use also affects the durability of the blade in a useful condition, but that is a discussion for another day.)

Further deponent sayeth not.

1 1,335
 02-26-2019, 07:04 AM
User Info
Many interesting replies, thanks.

0 109
 02-26-2019, 03:51 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I could actually care less about flipping the blades and toss them out after a week of shaving every other day or every third day. Blades are relatively cheap to begin with and unless I'm trying to compare a blade, of which I'm settled down from doing these days, no need to over think it for me.

0 390
 02-26-2019, 03:59 PM
User Info
(02-26-2019, 03:51 PM)Garb Wrote: I could actually care less about flipping the blades and toss them out after a week of shaving every other day or every third day. Blades are relatively cheap to begin with and unless I'm trying to compare a blade, of which I'm settled down from doing these days, no need to over think it for me.

I'm sure you're right. I was just thinking that since I take the razor apart after each shave to let it dry up anyway, there is really no extra effort involved in flipping the blade (assuming I begin to remember how I put it in the last time, which I currently do not).

0 109
 02-27-2019, 09:33 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(02-25-2019, 05:17 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote:
(02-25-2019, 05:10 PM)MntnMan62 Wrote: I'm a flipper.  No, not the dolphin.  I flip my blade after each use.  Does it make a difference?  I have no idea.  I do lots of things without any real purpose.  I just do them.  It makes sense in my warped brain.

I am too.  I have no science to back me up on it, but it just seems to make sense.
+2

84 3,587