02-27-2019, 06:05 AM
User Info
Hello,

I am a SE razor shaver but I found a vintage Gillette at resale and would like to know what I picked up. 

Here is a picture:

https://i.imgur.com/Awh01BO.jpg

[img=880x1172]https://i.imgur.com/Awh01BO.jpg[/img]

I will look up threads on how to clean this but it looks in good used shape.  Thank you.

1 170
 02-27-2019, 06:06 AM
User Info
TV super speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 240
 02-27-2019, 06:12 AM
User Info
(02-27-2019, 06:06 AM)Razor Emporium Wrote: TV super speed

Thank you very much!!! I appreciate it Razor Emporium!!!

1 170
 02-27-2019, 10:49 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
what is the date code on the bottom of the plate?

usually a letter on one side and a number on the other.

the letter is the year and the number is the quarter. RE has a great chart on their site.

0 557
 02-27-2019, 11:49 AM
User Info
(02-27-2019, 10:49 AM)RyznRio Wrote:  
Sorry for the delay.  I am almost positive it is 1958.   Here is the info from the site:

D
ADJUST/TTO/Tech

"Adjustable" Dial TTO. TV Special this year only. Limited nickle toggle run. 
Super Blue Blade (silicone coated).

It came with a blue blade pack that may have at least one unused blade in it!

1 170
 02-27-2019, 02:08 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
(02-27-2019, 11:49 AM)White Tuna Wrote:
(02-27-2019, 10:49 AM)RyznRio Wrote:  
Sorry for the delay.  I am almost positive it is 1958.   Here is the info from the site:

D
ADJUST/TTO/Tech

"Adjustable" Dial TTO. TV Special this year only. Limited nickle toggle run. 
Super Blue Blade (silicone coated).

It came with a blue blade pack that may have at least one unused blade in it!
a very nice pickup, just like me over 60 and still working. have you shaved with the razor or is it just shelf candy?

0 557
 02-28-2019, 04:18 AM
User Info
RyznRio

I have not shaved with it but intend to after I learn how to properly clean it.  It looks in good used shape.  Since I do not have any DE's I will have to buy a starter pack.  I am a little excited to try a vintage Gillette and it seems this one is a mild shaver so that may be a good starting point for me.

1 170
 03-05-2019, 09:33 AM
User Info
All the TV superspeeds were made in 1958.

AFAIK, they are just like regular superspeeds except for the linear knurling on the handle and they came in a different case.

3 2,011
 03-05-2019, 08:31 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
I've never had a TV special, but it doesn't appear to be adjustable. Unless you consider "loosening the knob trick" as being adjustable. 

I'll save you the searching. You turn the knob to open the butterfly doors to replace the blade. Once the blade is dropped in, you turn the knob to close the butterfly doors and this also clamps the blade down. Do not overtighten, just snug. This makes the blade flex a little which is in the design. 

The "trick" is to loosen the knob slightly. Maybe 1/4 turn. This loosens the blade a bit and reduces the flex of the blade. The reduced flex lifts the blade edge from the safety bar and increases the gap. This makes the razor a tad more aggressive. I read this trick on a forum and it was verified in an old Gillette advertisement.

112 2,262
 03-05-2019, 08:42 PM
User Info
(03-05-2019, 08:31 PM)Gabe Wrote: I've never had a TV special, but it doesn't appear to be adjustable. Unless you consider "loosening the knob trick" as being adjustable. 

I'll save you the searching. You turn the knob to open the butterfly doors to replace the blade. Once the blade is dropped in, you turn the knob to close the butterfly doors and this also clamps the blade down. Do not overtighten, just snug. This makes the blade flex a little which is in the design. 

The "trick" is to loosen the knob slightly. Maybe 1/4 turn. This loosens the blade a bit and reduces the flex of the blade. The reduced flex lifts the blade edge from the safety bar and increases the gap. This makes the razor a tad more aggressive. I read this trick on a forum and it was verified in an old Gillette advertisement.

Super Speeds are not adjustable.  Slim, Fat Boy, Black Beauty.  Those are adjustable with a dial and numbers to select..  Not the SS.  Sure, you can try and make it "adjustable" by tightening or loosening the safety doors, but I don't think that really qualifies it as an adjustable razor.  If this were true then I could call my Bostonian or Single Ring adjustable depending upon how loose or tight I screw the top cap and bottom plate together.  The Super Speed is definitely a good shaver as I have one in my collection.  But I much prefer 3 piece open comb razors.  And I don't like the blade to have any play as it scrapes across my face.

2 393
 03-05-2019, 08:44 PM
User Info
The adjustable thing lost a lot of credibility with the thinner blades of later years. Early thick carbon steel did have a “spring” to them.

0 240