02-27-2019, 07:23 PM
User Info
Gents,

Hello!

I stumbled across this artisan’s website, and this particular soap caught my eye.  It is 20% shea butter, and it contains lanolin (anytime I see lanolin I think Mitchell’s Wool Fat).  

However, what really intrigued me is that I read the fragrance smelled like the desert after a rainstorm.  I have been to a couple of different deserts for God and Country, and I thought to myself, “I vividly remember that smell!”  I knew I had to purchase it right away, and I am really glad that I did!

The shave:

Brush:  Paladin Winston w/Jade Handle
Razor:  RS-10 w/Mild Base Plate
Blade:  Fresh Gillette Silver Blue

I scooped a little bit from the container, pressed it to the bottom of my lather bowl, and went to town whipping up a beautiful, dense, rich, and creamy lather!

I proceeded with a wonderful four pass shave that achieved an absolute irritation free BBS result.

I believe that this is an elite soap, and that the protection and post-shave feel is second to none!  This soap reminds me of that incredible protection and post-shave that is often associated with I Coloniali Mango shaving soap, except it is better because it has a better slickness, and the post-shave is as good or better!

Is this the slickest soap I have used...no...and to add to that, it is a strange slickness that seemed slow...it wasn’t fast, but it was there and one would be able to buff just fine.  When I would wet my face between passes before re-lathering the water re-activated the residual slickness.

The description of the fragrance was SPOT ON...and I mean RIGHT ON THE MONEY!  I love how the desert smells after a storm rolls through...it’s like a wet clay and sand earthiness that is fresh and pure.

In closing, I think this is a fantastic soap that somewhat reminded me of the things I really like about MFW and I Coloniali Mango in one soap!

Enjoy the pics!

Vr

Matt

[Image: vWwiYf3.jpg][Image: rfoYTQ5.jpg][Image: RXdLeWp.jpg][Image: xHH5pr9.jpg][Image: EzQgjw3.jpg][Image: hMy7AYF.jpg][Image: yE2ZAD8.jpg][Image: ZqOrN3W.jpg][Image: rw9rlX5.jpg]

36 2,326
 02-27-2019, 07:49 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Nice review, Matt.
Mystic Water is a classic, and Michelle is a wonderful person too.

119 19,565
 02-27-2019, 08:10 PM
User Info
Thanks for a nice review Matt.

Michelle is a highly regarded soap artisan who has been around for a long time.  She has produced quality soaps for many years, without any hype.

60 10,551
 02-27-2019, 09:31 PM
  • Nero
User Info
I love your signature pic at the end. Makes me laugh every time!

98 4,141
 02-27-2019, 10:36 PM
User Info
Mystic Waters has the slickest post-shave I've experienced of a few dozen soaps.

I wish the actual shave was better for me (because of the post-shave), but with my intense hard water I struggle, and that scent sounds great.

6 1,158
 02-28-2019, 04:40 AM
User Info
Thanks gents! I enjoy writing the reviews when I find something that works for me in case others might like the soap or cream or razor...etc.

Ha! My signature lather pic...play off of “Let me see your WAR FACE!” from the movie Full Metal Jacket! I changed it to “Let me see your SHAVE FACE!”

I hope that everyone has a great day!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 02-28-2019, 04:45 AM
User Info
Thanks Matt.... Cheers

1 1,073
 02-28-2019, 08:09 AM
User Info
(02-28-2019, 04:45 AM)zipper Wrote: Thanks Matt.... Cheers

My pleasure Ron! I have to take a look at the M&M Naid next...probably tomorrow! It smells very similar to LPL Abricot, but a little more pronounced with a little something extra my nose can’t place. It smells quite nice!

So we will see!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 02-28-2019, 09:05 AM
User Info
Mystic water is a really underrated soap. I personally think that the slickness of the lather and cushion allow it to play in the leagues of the top-tier soaps out there . I sampled about eight or 10 of them and unfortunately a predominant theme is the strength of the scent. Just a little lower than I prefer. Otherwise, I believe I might just be purchasing a truckload of this stuff.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

0 30
 03-02-2019, 10:09 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(02-27-2019, 08:10 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Thanks for a nice review Matt.

Michelle is a highly regarded soap artisan who has been around for a long time.  She has produced quality soaps for many years, without any hype.
+1.

Not only that, but I have used enough of her shaving soaps, for a sufficient period of time, to discover a property for which I have no precise explanation:  I change my DE blades when the blade communicates that it is time to be changed, not sooner, not later.  And I get more shaves from my blades when I use Mystic Water than I do when I use other soaps.  The difference is not huge:  if on average I get five shaves per blade with a Feather Hi-Stainless using other soaps, then using Mystic Water, I may get a sixth shave from every other, or every third, blade.  But when I do detect a difference in blade durability between Mystic Water and any other soap, the difference always favors Mystic Water.

Matt’s description of the scent of Marrakesh surprised me:  it has been a while since I looked at Michelle’s scent descriptions, and, when I do, I often stop, smiling, when I get to, “My work is done here.” (Frankincense & Myrrh, earlier in the alphabet than Marrakesh.)  But somehow I got into my head that Marrakesh has the scent of incense at a bazaar, which did not appeal to me; I purchased Mystic Water Vetiver & Oakmoss to get the scent of wet earth, but I may have to try Marrakesh next.

1 1,455
 03-02-2019, 10:25 AM
User Info
(03-02-2019, 10:09 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(02-27-2019, 08:10 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Thanks for a nice review Matt.

+1.

Not only that, but I have used enough of her shaving soaps, for a sufficient period of time, to discover a property for which I have no precise explanation:  I change my DE blades when the blade communicates that it is time to be changed, not sooner, not later.  And I get more shaves from my blades when I use Mystic Water than I do when I use other soaps.  The difference is not huge:  if on average I get five shaves per blade with a Feather Hi-Stainless using other soaps, then using Mystic Water, I may get a sixth shave from every other, or every third, blade.  But when I do detect a difference in blade durability between Mystic Water and any other soap, the difference always favors Mystic Water.

Matt’s description of the scent of Marrakesh surprised me:  it has been a while since I looked at Michelle’s scent descriptions, and, when I do, I often stop, smiling, when I get to, “My work is done here.” (Frankincense & Myrrh, earlier in the alphabet than Marrakesh.)  But somehow I got into my head that Marrakesh has the scent of incense at a bazaar, which did not appeal to me; I purchased Mystic Water Vetiver & Oakmoss to get the scent of wet earth, but I may have to try Marrakesh next.

Hmmmm....that’s interesting about the blade durability Mel! I use a fresh blade each shave so unfortunately I probably miss out on some of the nuances in the blades I use!

Highly recommend this soap...not at all an incense bazaar!

Take care!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 03-02-2019, 10:51 AM
User Info
Wow, I've been away from the forum for a while and what is the first thread I see on my return?  Lovely, thanks guys.  Smile  I chose Marrakesh for the name for that soap but was conjuring scent memories from my time in Qatar when I made it.  I am glad you liked it, Matt, and thanks for dispelling the notion that it's a heavy incense-y soap cuz it's definitely not.  Earthy, spicy, hint of wood, yes.

Michelle

0 289
 03-02-2019, 02:11 PM
User Info
Thank you for the review! I will try this one very soon.

0 17
 03-04-2019, 01:20 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-02-2019, 10:25 AM)Ols67 Wrote: Hmmmm....that’s interesting about the blade durability Mel!

There is another possibility that could arrive at the identical result.  

As I mentioned, I do not have a set number of shaves for a razor blade:  when the blade communicates that it has reached the end of its service life, it goes into the blade bank and the next shave starts with a new blade.  The way the bade communicates, of course, is either (1) when it requires extra passes or blade scrubbing to get an acceptably close shave, indicating that the blade’s edge has become dull; or (2) when the blade starts to nip and draw blood for no apparent reason.  (The former is the usual means; the latter is rarer — fortunately, as it is less pleasant.)

As others have noted, Mystic Water shaving soaps provide a slick shaving experience, with good protection, “cushion,” whatever that means, and a good “post shave feel.”  Each of those (positive) properties has the potential to intercept, and blunt, the communication from the blade that it is tired and is ready for bed.

1 1,455
 08-20-2019, 04:32 AM
User Info
Thanks Matt!

As soon as I read your soap reports, I check if I have this soap and if not, then I go on the Internet to buy this soap))

I’m buying it on the Mystic site now ... everything is very tasty ... trying to put in $ 100 ... oh Matt)))

5 182
 08-20-2019, 09:16 AM
User Info
Can someone comment on what their favorite Sandalwood scent of hers is?  Sandalwood Rose just sounds nice..........................

20 732
 08-20-2019, 10:01 AM
User Info
Sandalwood Rose is my favourite of Michelle's. Actually, it is one of the nicest scents I have tried. It is blended very well.

92 21,341
 08-20-2019, 05:16 PM
User Info
(08-20-2019, 04:32 AM)certif Wrote: Thanks Matt!

As soon as I read your soap reports, I check if I have this soap and if not, then I go on the Internet to buy this soap))

I’m buying it on the Mystic site now ... everything is very tasty ... trying to put in $ 100 ... oh Matt)))

HA! Thanks for the vote of confidence! I just call it like I see it Misha in all the stuff I review.

If you haven’t tried the Personna 74 blade in your RS-10, its a dynamite combination!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 08-20-2019, 05:34 PM
User Info
Matt, I thought you were not going to purchase any more soaps/creams until after summer heat is over?

60 312
 08-21-2019, 12:10 AM
User Info
(08-20-2019, 05:34 PM)petropn Wrote: Matt, I thought you were not going to purchase any more soaps/creams until after summer heat is over?

I am not/haven’t! It’s been in the high 90s here! The last one I purchased was that Shannon’s Coconut lime soap. This was an original thread from FEB 2019.

That being said, I am using this soap this morning with that TSN LE boar Semogue brush! Should be a great shave!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326