02-28-2019, 03:49 AM
User Info
Isn't it a bit odd that there are members that choose to participate only in the BST section?
Selling and trading your equipment is a privilege, you don't pay a commision for the forum expenses. If someone chooses not to contribute anything here, then why doesn't he sell his stuff on Ebay or other sites he actually participates in (if any)?
I know that you have to meet some requirements, I think 50 posts and a month or two, before you sell or trade anything, but if you stop participating after meeting these requirements, just go sell your stuff elsewhere. What's the point? You take advantage of a community and your contribution is zero.

I am thinking out loud and sorry for the rant, but it's something I'd never do myself and it surprises there are such members. I am a member in a number of forums, but use the privileges of a few BSTs only, two I think, because I'm not an actual participant to all of them and I'd feel awkward. If I buy something or sell to a member, I'd like to know him if possible from our discussion board. Otherwise, it's like selling to a stranger on Ebay. You know what I mean.

Am I the only one who thinks that way?

60 2,730
 02-28-2019, 05:56 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
(02-28-2019, 03:49 AM)nikos.a Wrote: Isn't it a bit odd that there are members that choose to participate only in the BST section?
Selling and trading your equipment is a privilege, you don't pay a commision for the forum expenses. If someone chooses not to contribute anything here, then why doesn't he sell his stuff on Ebay or other sites he actually participates in (if any)?
I know that you have to meet some requirements, I think 50 posts and a month or two, before you sell or trade anything, but if you stop participating after meeting these requirements, just go sell your stuff elsewhere. What's the point? You take advantage of a community and your contribution is zero.

I am thinking out loud and sorry for the rant, but it's something I'd never do myself and it surprises there are such members. I am member of a number of forums, but use the privileges of a few BSTs only, two I think, because I'm not an actual participant  to all of them and I'd feel awkward. If I buy something or sell to a member, I'd like to know him if possible from our discussion board. Otherwise, it's like selling to a stranger on Ebay. You know what I mean.

+1  Thumbup

0 493
 02-28-2019, 08:04 AM
  • w_mcnabb
  • San Antonio, TX
User Info
Not sure how many members know you can show your love by hitting the 'Support' link in the bottom right corner of the web browser and leaving voluntary commissions.  You cannot deny the importance of the forum for facilitating our transactions and finding sought after gear not readily available and forums have overhead. I don't work for the site but I do like it here would rather chip in when my expenses allow it than see it shuttered.

As for participation I feel like it will always be higher when you are starting out in this hobby as you are still learning and experimenting but once you've found what works for you it tapers off.  New products or getting into another facet of wetshaving like straights or SE's will bring experienced shaver participation back up but will inevitably taper off again at some point.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post but I think this is the predominant reason.

103 529
 02-28-2019, 08:13 AM
  • eengler
  • Super Moderator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
(02-28-2019, 03:49 AM)nikos.a Wrote: Am I the only one who thinks that way?

Your not the only one who notices and it can be frustrating. It makes sense tho as TSN has one of the best and most used BST areas. Thankfully as a seller you have the right to choose a suitable buyer.
I feel we have an amazing and diverse membership with participation on many different levels. The large majority all contribute in some way and only a few are here for their own gain.

68 5,620
 02-28-2019, 09:35 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
100% agreement.  There might be a few exceptions - avid collector with start of memory loss for example.  

On another forum:  a new member joined as he heard that forum was great place to sell razors, etc.  Very open about his reason to join.  Sad !

17 968
 02-28-2019, 02:26 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Good point, Nikos. Thanks for bringing up the subject. I’ve said the same thing to myself many times.

Ed also rightfully points out that sellers don’t have to sell to someone with whom they’re not familiar. I was recently pm-d by a member with zero posts in regard to an item I have listed on BST. Of course, I replied politely, but I also didn’t jump to make a deal with him so quickly. He wound up backing out so no harm, no foul, but yes I agree that it’s probably wise to make yourself known to the community before using the BST.

19 4,685
 02-28-2019, 03:01 PM
User Info
(02-28-2019, 02:26 PM)chazt Wrote: Good point, Nikos. Thanks for bringing up the subject. I’ve said the same thing to myself many times.

Ed also rightfully points out that sellers don’t have to sell to someone with whom they’re not familiar. I was recently pm-d by a member with zero posts in regard to an item I have listed on BST. Of course, I replied politely, but I also didn’t jump to make a deal with him so quickly. He wound up backing out so no harm, no foul, but yes I agree that it’s probably wise to make yourself known to the community before using the BST.
Very level-headed response.

92 6,643
 02-28-2019, 03:02 PM
User Info
The only unpleasant BST experience I've had here (and I've had many, buying, selling and trading) was with someone who only participated as a BST trader.  My conclusion from this (admittedly very small sample) was that people who participate in the community aren't inclined to chisel other members.

It's no surprise to me that Nikos, one of the extraordinarily fine gentlemen here, raised this issue.  Thanks, Nikos.

21 320
 02-28-2019, 05:25 PM
User Info
Some forums have rules to access the BST. I actually was on a non-shaving forum that had locked some features until you had "x meaningful posts", so you had to petition a moderator to make sure you weren't just replying to threads with nonsense or emojis.

I would support TSN with a > 90 days, > 30 posts rule.

6 1,164
 02-28-2019, 05:26 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I agree with all of the above.

188 26,278
 03-01-2019, 06:16 AM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
I agree with Johnny and this especially:

(02-28-2019, 05:25 PM)Gig103 Wrote: Some forums have rules to access the BST. I actually was on a non-shaving forum that had locked some features until you had "x meaningful posts", so you had to petition a moderator to make sure you weren't just replying to threads with nonsense or emojis.

0 443
 03-01-2019, 06:46 AM
User Info
(03-01-2019, 06:16 AM)naiyor Wrote: I agree with Johnny and this especially:

(02-28-2019, 05:25 PM)Gig103 Wrote: Some forums have rules to access the BST. I actually was on a non-shaving forum that had locked some features until you had "x meaningful posts", so you had to petition a moderator to make sure you weren't just replying to threads with nonsense or emojis.

The Shave Nook currently restrict access to making threads in the BST to members who have made 45 posts and been a member for one month. Not all subforums are created equal in this regard; for instance posts in the Parlour is not counted towards the number of posts.

3 7,356
 03-01-2019, 07:15 AM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
Well then...everything seems to be in good order! Rolleyes

I should read the rules again  Biggrin

0 443
 03-01-2019, 07:36 AM
User Info
(03-01-2019, 06:46 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote:
(03-01-2019, 06:16 AM)naiyor Wrote: I agree with Johnny and this especially:

The Shave Nook currently restrict access to making threads in the BST to members who have made 45 posts and been a member for one month. Not all subforums are created equal in this regard; for instance posts in the Parlour is not counted towards the number of posts.

I've made more than 50 posts(I think) in the regular forums and I am not able to post replies in the BST forum.  I am not really interested in selling anything though.

1 655
 03-01-2019, 11:58 AM
User Info
I'm new to this forum as well as a couple other wet shaving forums. I haven't posted much besides the welcome sections. Recently after joining I wanted to buy some quality shaving gear off of the classifieds. There were people who responded in a reasonable amount of time who got paid in a matter of minutes. Other people did not respond quickly enough so I gave my money to a different member for something else. Just because I'm new doesn't make my money any less valuable. If you don't want to sell to a new guy let me know. There are 3 other forums that I can buy from as well as Ebay. The reason that I have not posted much is because I don't feel like I have enough knowledge to post something. That doesn't mean that I don't read the posts and try to learn something new. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1 1
 03-01-2019, 12:26 PM
User Info
(03-01-2019, 11:58 AM)Lawman84 Wrote: I'm new to this forum as well as a couple other wet shaving forums. I haven't posted much besides the welcome sections. Recently after joining I wanted to buy some quality shaving gear off of the classifieds. There were people who responded in a reasonable amount of time who got paid in a matter of minutes. Other people did not respond quickly enough so I gave my money to a different member for something else. Just because I'm new doesn't make my money any less valuable. If you don't want to sell to a new guy let me know. There are 3 other forums that I can buy from as well as Ebay. The reason that I have not posted much is because I don't feel like I have enough knowledge to post something. That doesn't mean that I don't read the posts and try to learn something new. Thanks.

Agreed. Also, don’t forget to mention the Facebook groups that are specific for sales, auctions, and raffles.

32 471
 03-01-2019, 12:44 PM
User Info
(03-01-2019, 11:58 AM)Lawman84 Wrote: I'm new to this forum as well as a couple other wet shaving forums. I haven't posted much besides the welcome sections. Recently after joining I wanted to buy some quality shaving gear off of the classifieds. There were people who responded in a reasonable amount of time who got paid in a matter of minutes. Other people did not respond quickly enough so I gave my money to a different member for something else. Just because I'm new doesn't make my money any less valuable. If you don't want to sell to a new guy let me know. There are 3 other forums that I can buy from as well as Ebay. The reason that I have not posted much is because I don't feel like I have enough knowledge to post something. That doesn't mean that I don't read the posts and try to learn something new. Thanks.

Don't get me wrong, but you miss the point of this thread. Nobody said that your money are less valuable.
I've sold items to members with no or very few posts, because we had a great communication via pm.
What I don't like is meeting the requirements to start BST threads, then stop contributing and just use the BST section. If you do that, you only try to take advantage of a community to save money on Ebay commisions. That's all.
We are lucky to have a great community and these members are the exception. But it can't go unnoticeable.

60 2,730
 03-01-2019, 12:46 PM
User Info
Thank you all for your kind words.
(02-28-2019, 03:02 PM)BrickHud Wrote: The only unpleasant BST experience I've had here (and I've had many, buying, selling and trading) was with someone who only participated as a BST trader.  My conclusion from this (admittedly very small sample) was that people who participate in the community aren't inclined to chisel other members.

It's no surprise to me that Nikos, one of the extraordinarily fine gentlemen here, raised this issue.  Thanks, Nikos.
Charles introduced me to the razor that changed my shaves, my shaving routine. He is the man. Thanks, my friend, for your words. I appreciate that.

60 2,730
 03-01-2019, 01:02 PM
User Info
(02-28-2019, 03:49 AM)nikos.a Wrote: Isn't it a bit odd that there are members that choose to participate only in the BST section?

I am thinking out loud and sorry for the rant, but it's something I'd never do myself and it surprises there are such members. I am a member in a number of forums, but use the privileges of a few BSTs only, two I think, because I'm not an actual participant to all of them and I'd feel awkward. If I buy something or sell to a member, I'd like to know him if possible from our discussion board. Otherwise, it's like selling to a stranger on Ebay. You know what I mean.

+1

Well said.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

1 75
 03-01-2019, 02:52 PM
User Info
Apropos, I just got a PM from an ex-lurker, joined today, asking me to do a deal on two razors that I have on the BST. I politely told him that I only "deal" with established TSN members.

92 6,643