09-15-2012, 09:01 AM
User Info
Wedge blades:
I received a name of someone who does honing on straight razors awhile back so I could get someone to get a couple of the wedge blades shave-ready that are used with the old lather-catchers. I had some conversations with a guy who was willing to do them, but I've lost the name. Can anyone give me a name or two of someone who can do this? Thanks,
Cleave

Here are the type I'm speaking of:
bevel blades 002<script async src="https://embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

Star blades 002<script async src="https://embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

The razor on the right is the one I want them done for:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856...rs001.jpg/
[img]

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856...rs001.jpg/[/img]

Attached Files Image(s)

11 177
 09-15-2012, 09:13 AM
User Info
The top two shouldn't be a problem (maybe the one on the left as it has a lot of pitting, but can't be sure without seeing in person), but the bottom one is quite possibly too far damaged to be worth saving.'

No idea how the razor works, but if the blade needs to extend a certain distance, that's going to be a potential problem.

9 2,988
 09-15-2012, 09:43 AM
User Info
Thanks, Lee, I appreciate the response. The blade will need to extend to the point where it stops before it gets to the edge of the open comb, so I doubt if any of the ones with chips would work as honing would probably shorten them too much. I think the others might be OK, as even if it shortened them a tiny bit, I think I could slightly bend the moveable arm in the back that holds them in place. Again, if anyone has had specific experience with either honing these or using ones that have been honed, please let us know.

11 177
 09-28-2012, 07:54 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
Those are nice old razors..Kampf Bros, EverReady, and Star? When honed they do a nice shave. The blades will accept a lot of wear due to the snap holder at the back of the head, One could take a mm off and still have a good shave. They were taken to the back of nowhere, by travelers and explorers, just for that reason.
Anyone could hone them. I use a 4-8 Norton. And a finisher afterward. Tape the spine and use even thumb and two fingers pressure to get the edge clean. Figure eight movements and flipping from side to side, like with a straight. Then i remove the tape and hone carefully till sharp. Usually they come with a stropper stick; it has a split end and attached to the razor handle on those oldies and allowed you to strop the blade like a straight razor. The one is shown in the photo with the 1890 Henckles WOTAN. They were also used to hone with. A steeper bevel achieved that way...or... a final double bevel to max out strength and sharpness.Photo:
[Image: sotd9-10.jpg]
You might also make a similar device by bending up bits of beer can. Steel preferred. Make a long and about a half inch wide strip. Bend it tightly over the blade on both sides equally or trim afterward so it is. Then remove it and crimp it to make it tighter. Reapply it to the blade and use tape around the strip to make a handle.
Just my take..
~Richard
PS. The thing in the middle is a blade holder like a figure eight to hold the blade edge free of contact for storage of a blade.

8 1,190
 09-29-2012, 08:21 AM
User Info
Thanks for the info. I got Mike Hinkley (Modine) to hone two of them, but it's nice to get some specific instructions in case I try it next time. Since these are the only thing I'd ever need to hone, is there a way to get a stone I could hone them with without breaking the bank? Thanks again for your time

11 177
 09-29-2012, 10:39 AM
User Info
(09-29-2012, 08:21 AM)cpool222 Wrote: Thanks for the info. I got Mike Hinkley (Modine) to hone two of them, but it's nice to get some specific instructions in case I try it next time. Since these are the only thing I'd ever need to hone, is there a way to get a stone I could hone them with without breaking the bank? Thanks again for your time

You can get an old barber's stone off ebay.

I am selling my old lapped spyderco UF in the BST.

Naniwa 12k is a good stone too. But IIRC above $50.

9 2,988