03-29-2019, 05:21 AM
User Info
A couple thoughts here. For sure Kobe beef as experience in Japan is of a different level than waygu in the US. I do buy waygu sometimes. most typically I slice it thin and cook on a very hot cast iron grill like you'll fine in Japan and Korea. Sometimes I'll want a hamburger or small steak. As others as mentioned, this isn't the easiest and if you go this way, use sous vide to get the doneness you want and then a short sear. This is a much better result and certainly the one used at French Laundry.

1 57
 03-29-2019, 05:30 AM
User Info
Wasbi is a type of horseradish, and in fact many prepared "wasabi" sauces contain horseradish and green food color and absolutely no wasabi. FWIW, horseradish sauce is used on beef by many folks, though it's a sauce and the horseradish is somewhat muted. I have a friend who likes it on his beef, though I don't see the attraction. Whatever floats ones boat.

I recently made a garlic/horseradish sauce for a roast and it was OK (I could use it), but I prefer the taste of the unadulterated beef.

32 6,574
 03-29-2019, 01:58 PM
User Info
(03-24-2019, 03:24 PM)Ols67 Wrote:
(03-24-2019, 09:05 AM)Rory1262 Wrote: On a related note, yesterday we bought some wasabi to go with some sashimi we'd bought.
I noticed that on the wasabi box, the pictured serving suggestion was on steak.
That had never struck me before, and it hadn't occurred to me to try it before getting that prompt.

We had a porterhouse, and a little wasabi with it is indeed a nice accent.

Porterhouse...HUGE YES...it just doesn’t get any better!

Wasabi...I am too much of a wimp!!!  Glad you found it to your liking though...I have been using Montreal seasoning as of late...pretty good if you haven’t tried!

Vr

Matt

We always cook our steaks with Montreal seasoning! This time the wasabi came in addition.

I've been fortunate enough to eat true wasabi root, freshly grated. It's a real treat. (It's also quite expensive.)

10 1,104
 03-29-2019, 02:45 PM
User Info
(03-29-2019, 05:30 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Wasbi is a type of horseradish, and in fact many prepared "wasabi" sauces contain horseradish and green food color and absolutely no wasabi. FWIW, horseradish sauce is used on beef by many folks, though it's a sauce and the horseradish is somewhat muted. I have a friend who likes it on his beef, though I don't see the attraction. Whatever floats ones boat.

I recently made a garlic/horseradish sauce for a roast and it was OK (I could use it), but I prefer the taste of the unadulterated beef.

“Unadulterated beef!” YES!!!

Vr

Matt

29 1,466
 04-06-2019, 06:40 AM
User Info
My own efforts with wagyu on the grill were disappointing. As mentioned above by Sully (thx for your info!), doing it wrong ruins it, tasting greasy. That was what happened.

A few times wagyu in restaurants I wasn’t overwhelmed.
Very good, but not up to the price, imo.

The very best meat I ever had the pleasure to eat were filets of capricorn, btw.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

0 284
 04-06-2019, 11:30 AM
User Info
(04-06-2019, 06:40 AM)apogee. Wrote: My own efforts with wagyu on the grill were disappointing. As mentioned above by Sully (thx for your info!), doing it wrong ruins it, tasting greasy. That was what happened.

The very best meat I ever had the pleasure to eat were filets of capricorn, btw.

Sorry they didn’t work out on the grill!  I will stick to porterhouse and strip steaks for now!

Though this summer I am going to give it a go!

Vr

Matt

29 1,466
 04-06-2019, 03:07 PM
User Info
(04-06-2019, 06:40 AM)apogee. Wrote: My own efforts with wagyu on the grill were disappointing. As mentioned above by Sully (thx for your info!), doing it wrong ruins it, tasting greasy. That was what happened.

I messed up some Bison, I read a suggested method on a website, really turned out bad.... Sad 
I wouldn't want to screwup a hunk of wagyu.

1 1,073
 04-07-2019, 05:29 AM
User Info
I have made buffalo burgers on the grill, and they were fantastic!

Vr

Matt

29 1,466
 04-07-2019, 05:47 AM
User Info
Kobe beef is available in a few places in the US. And when I say a few I mean fewer than 10.

62 1,500
 04-11-2019, 06:18 AM
User Info
OK....I have a special occasion tomorrow, so I ordered some Wagyu. It arrived 10 minutes ago. Cooking instructions state, place in a cold pan, med.high, 5min., turn
cook 4min. Definitely will not be well done.. Shy 
[Image: WR5NjHh.jpg]

1 1,073
 04-11-2019, 01:04 PM
User Info
(04-11-2019, 06:18 AM)zipper Wrote: OK....I have a special occasion tomorrow, so I ordered some Wagyu. It arrived 10 minutes ago. Cooking instructions state, place in a cold pan, med.high, 5min., turn
cook 4min. Definitely will not be well done.. Shy 
[Image: WR5NjHh.jpg]

Oh man! I can’t wait for the cooked pics, and your thoughts! Awesome Ron!

Vr

Matt

29 1,466
 04-12-2019, 08:34 AM
User Info
No pics of the meal. It was all I could do just to get the mushroom risotto, Pomodoro spirals, the beef with a peppercorn sauce....all to the table.
It was pretty good, nothing that special. It was tender, good flavor. Due to medical condition, it was the first steak/beef I've eaten in like 8 years.
I'm kind of a plain guy, really. Looking back on truly great meals...it didn't make it. BUT(BIG BUT)….the peppercorn sauce, really added to it.
That was a damn fine sauce!. I've eaten at Delmonico's and the Commander's Palace, in New Orleans and my review would be just an "OK"
Then there was a little place in San Diego, once was a Burger Chef, or something like that. They had this thing called a Bodacious  Burrito.
Makes me want to get on my bike and take a road trip. One of my men in service, his parents owned a DQ in San Antonio, I promised him I would
visit them....they made the best Lumpia ! Those I remember...…. Cheers

1 1,073
 04-12-2019, 10:32 AM
User Info
Well at least it was a good meal!

Someday I hope to take the moto cross country...that would be awesome!

Vr

Matt

29 1,466