03-02-2019, 04:04 PM
User Info
When I use the Proraso Green Pre-shave Cream in combination with the Proraso Green soap, I get a rash on my neck, around the corners of my mouth and all over irritated skin.
Using only the soap works fine and when I've used the pre-shave with another soap it's better but still irritated.

I'm beginning to think it's just too much menthol for my skin or something.
Does anyone else have problems with this product?

1 321
 03-02-2019, 05:15 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
It is probably the menthol.  It does not take much.  I usually a pea size drop on wet hands, rub together well, then apply to wet face.  It has a good menthol kick if you use to much.

184 25,614
 03-02-2019, 05:22 PM
User Info
(03-02-2019, 04:04 PM)RazorSteve Wrote: When I use the Proraso Green Pre-shave Cream in combination with the Proraso Green soap, I get a rash on my neck, around the corners of my mouth and all over irritated skin.
Using only the soap works fine and when I've used the pre-shave with another soap it's better but still irritated.

I never really felt the Proraso Green shaving cream nor soap was anything close to good compared to all the other stuff you can get.

It's a classsic, but neither the shaving soaps, cream or the pre shave is anything special in my view.
It's cheap and you get what you pay for.

25 6,619
 03-03-2019, 01:16 AM
User Info
(03-02-2019, 05:22 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 04:04 PM)RazorSteve Wrote: When I use the Proraso Green Pre-shave Cream in combination with the Proraso Green soap, I get a rash on my neck, around the corners of my mouth and all over irritated skin.

I never really felt the Proraso Green shaving cream nor soap was anything close to good compared to all the other stuff you can get.

It's a classsic, but neither the shaving soaps, cream or the pre shave is anything special in my view.
It's cheap and you get what you pay for.

Fair enough, but it is very cheap and it works. Either way, that's a different matter, I'm just trying to figure out the source of my skin irritation.

1 321
 03-03-2019, 01:18 AM
User Info
(03-02-2019, 05:15 PM)Johnny Wrote: It is probably the menthol.  It does not take much.  I usually a pea size drop on wet hands, rub together well, then apply to wet face.  It has a good menthol kick if you use to much.

Thanks, the menthol seems like the prime suspect. I'll stay away from the pre-cream a while and see if it happens again.

1 321
 03-04-2019, 05:05 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
I have read a few reports here and on other sources of Proraso causing irritation. elsewhere it was due to the sensitive formulation of the soap. I haven't used any proraso product as yet. I have a sample of proraso shave cream that I will try alone and to try a superlather. 

anyone else using proraso and getting irritation from the product.

0 312
 03-04-2019, 07:04 AM
User Info
Proraso sells a huge amount of product, and it's inevitable that a relatively small number of users may have a reaction to one of the ingredients.  As is the case with any product you apply to your skin, if the product causes you irritation, you don't use it.

59 9,318
 03-04-2019, 09:31 AM
User Info
To be honest I'm not even certain that the Proraso products are to blame, that's just a hypothesis. Correlation does not mean causation, another possible cause is my synthetic and fairly new brush in combination with face lathering. Perhaps I've been to harsh with the brush. I'm attempting to isolate the cause by only bowl-lathering and feeding in the Proraso products one at the time to see what happens.

1 321
 03-04-2019, 09:38 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Proraso does make a pre-shave oil that is not mentholated.

184 25,614