09-15-2012, 11:00 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I realized a while ago that I didn't have a true Silvertip brush. I have a Simpsons Best, which some relate to being Silvertip quality, and a Silvertip Fibre, which is fantastic, but not true Silvertip. Being a tad discouraged by prices (and before discovery of WSP'd brush, which might have been a contender) I decided to contact Mr. Ian Tang, owner of the Frank Shaving brushes. I have one previous brush from him, a 25mm Finest 2-band, which I absolutely love and what made me realize the greatness of badger brushes, and asked if he could make me a custom brush. He was more than happy to oblige and helped me out. I decided on a beautiful faux ivory handle with a 26mm knot, a loft somewhere around 50mm, and I asked for it to be densely packed with the finest Silvertip hair.

Needless to say, Mr. Tang delivered and with flying colors!

The handle looks fantastic, and by my simple measurements, the brush seems to have a knot of 28mm and a loft of exactly 50mm. Even out of the box it feels extremely soft, softer than my Simpsons or SOC 2-band (my previous softest brush contenders) and it is PACKED with hair giving it plenty of backbone for hard soaps.

I did a test lather with Tabac on my hand to break it, and I may use it once this Monday, but I am going to be sticking to Semogue-tember, so it won't see regular use until October.

But you don't care about reading, right? So here's some pics!

Size comparison, this one turned out a little fuzzy for some reason.
[Image: fofS0l.jpg]

Density, it's on the right with SOC on top and Duke 2 on bottom
[Image: smpH2l.jpg]

Whipping up some Tabac, which took absolutely no time(also, that handle!!!)
[Image: wnMUOl.jpg]

Bloom shot, whoa, this thing is bigger than I am used to...
[Image: pinrCl.jpg]

And the bloom from above. The damp tips are very soft, I almost couldn't put it down!
[Image: SPvxil.jpg]

I am very pleased with this brush, and lathering only produced two stray hairs. I know FS brushes have some bad rep, but I think their quality is fantastic and could be serious contenders with some of the top brands. Plus, it seems as though Mr. Tang took my idea and made it in to a regular sale brush!

35 1,732
 09-15-2012, 11:04 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Very nice. Enjoy it

116 3,804
 09-15-2012, 11:07 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Anthony

That's a nice looking brush and the post-bloom photo looks very! good Thumbsup

I look forward to hearing your review once you've had the opportunity to use it out in the wild...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 09-15-2012, 11:08 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Good my friend...Biggrin

Some questions :

1.Do we have to wait until October to know how do you like this brush?

2.Is the handle quiet heavy compared it with the Duke 2? (I know that is has more hair,so the brush must be heavier,but Im talking about the "heftiness" of the brush)

The ebay seller of that link is not IanTang , for what I understand.

Well,looks like a good brush for its price and the silvertip hair quality seems to be there too.

86 7,123
 09-15-2012, 11:23 AM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(09-15-2012, 11:08 AM)Teiste Wrote: Good my friend...Biggrin

Some questions :

1.Do we have to wait until October to know how do you like this brush?

2.Is the handle quiet heavy compared it with the Duke 2? (I know that is has more hair,so the brush must be heavier,but Im talking about the "heftiness" of the brush)

The ebay seller of that link is not IanTang , for what I understand.

Well,looks like a good brush for its price and the silvertip hair quality seems to be there too.

1. I plan on using it on Monday and deciding from there if I can resist using it more before October. But based on my hand lather, this will be a fantastic performer.

2. The handle material used by Frank Shaving isn't as hefty as Simpsons, so it actually feels pretty similar in weight to the Duke 2, even though it has more hair.

True, that seller is not Ian Tang's own shop, but the brushes are still Mr. Tangs brand and from my observations that brush wasn't available until after I had been talking this custom brush with him. His own shop doesn't seem to have any in stock currently, so these are probably a bunch this seller ordered to sell State-side.

35 1,732
 09-15-2012, 11:30 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thanks Anthony,looking forward to hear your impressions about it.

86 7,123
 09-15-2012, 12:10 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Anthony, that is a beautiful brush. I have two Frank Shaving finest badger brushes and think they are terrific. I, too, have heard of the bad reputation that FS has among some wet shavers but based on my two brushes, I just don't see it.

Use the brush in the best of health.

2 11,211
 09-15-2012, 12:13 PM
User Info
Great looking brush!

5 938
 09-15-2012, 12:14 PM
User Info
Ian Tang's workshop used to sell them on ebay, but they haven't been restocked for a while.

He currently sells the Chubby in Finest hair.

9 2,988
 09-15-2012, 12:15 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Great looking brush. The bloom is impressive. Enjoy it.

1 3,507
 09-15-2012, 12:17 PM
User Info
She's a looker! Enjoy, Anthony. Look forward to your impressions.

47 1,270
 09-15-2012, 06:17 PM
User Info
Congratulations, Anthony! i hope you can resist the temptation! Hee hee.

75 20,883
 09-16-2012, 04:14 AM
User Info
Anthony, enjoy the brush, she looks like a real winner.

0 86
 09-16-2012, 10:17 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Anthony, is the FS a sticker?

86 7,123
 09-16-2012, 10:50 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Looks really good, still hesitant to order it. Will wait for your detailed review.

88 4,233
 09-16-2012, 10:57 AM
User Info
(09-16-2012, 10:17 AM)Teiste Wrote: Anthony, is the FS a sticker?

If it is, I'd like to know how they got it to stick flat. I tried a circular sticker and ended up wasting a couple hundred dollars on stickers.

9 2,988
 09-16-2012, 11:38 AM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(09-16-2012, 10:57 AM)asharperrazor Wrote:
(09-16-2012, 10:17 AM)Teiste Wrote: Anthony, is the FS a sticker?

If it is, I'd like to know how they got it to stick flat. I tried a circular sticker and ended up wasting a couple hundred dollars on stickers.

It's not a sticker, I'd say it's more similar to a temporary tattoo if that makes sense. It could still be scratched off, but it doesn't have edges to lift and peel like a sticker.

Also, I used the brush today (sorry Semogue!) and WOW, those analogies of "like a cloud on your face" is certainly true for this brush. It was heavenly! It also lathered like crazy and wasn't shy about giving the lather up. I loaded Tabac for about 20 seconds and had enough for at least 5 passes.

35 1,732
 09-18-2012, 02:10 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Anthony , how are you doing with that brush?

86 7,123
 09-18-2012, 02:18 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Nice review Anthony. Sounds like your investment was the right decision for you.

173 23,546
 09-19-2012, 04:10 AM
User Info
A 'Chubby' with a Gold & Black sticker on the front.

Where do these Chinese get their inspiration & inventiveness?

Marvellous Wink

1 630