03-07-2019, 08:27 AM
User Info
Hi all. Has anyone seen a razor like this? Any ideas as to what this is? Razor and case in nice shape. Just not sure what to do with this :-)
[Image: b5070fb9646a9e0184f19a12f45611f7.jpg]
[Image: 2861ea52fec8545c8c4a8f2534dc66f2.jpg]

58 597
 03-07-2019, 09:28 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
looks like an Ever Ready to me but I am sure one of the razor experts will quickly fill you in on your find. great box!

0 557
 03-07-2019, 12:38 PM
User Info
Nothing in Waits' Razor Compendium. Not much at all online - a couple of old links to fleaBay, and nothing more.

Looking for the company on the other hand... 

LH Sturm Hdwe.Co.
LH Sturm Hdwe.Co.
, on Flickr

L. H. Sturm Hdwe. Co. For All Those Hard. To Find Items! 516 Main Street. On The Square since 1895

Shop is still around - or at least was in 2017! Pretty impressive... you could reach out to them and see if they have any information on the razor Smile

The razor itself looks like it could take a GEM blade (ie: it's modelled on an EverReady as suggested), but I have a hard time seeing how the cap fits on the baseplate with a blade in between...

At any rate it's a sharp looking razor Biggrin

3 7,763
 03-07-2019, 12:54 PM
User Info
(03-07-2019, 12:38 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Nothing in Waits' Razor Compendium. Not much at all online - a couple of old links to fleaBay, and nothing more.

[Image: 213343742_b77507ef62_b.jpg]

L. H. Sturm Hdwe. Co. For All Those Hard. To Find Items! 516 Main Street. On The Square since 1895

Shop is still around - or at least was in 2017! Pretty impressive... you could reach out to them and see if they have any information on the razor Smile

The razor itself looks like it could take a GEM blade (ie: it's modelled on an EverReady as suggested), but I have a hard time seeing how the cap fits on the baseplate with a blade in between...

Ah, nice reconnaissance indeed! Thank you sir. I will give them a call to see what I might learn. As for the blade, the sliding top cap slides in over the blade and locks in using pressure. The head has a notch underneath that stops the top cap from sliding too far back. Neat little razor, and I haven’t attempted to clean it yet.

58 597
 03-07-2019, 01:32 PM
User Info
Happy to be of a little help. If they know anything, please fill us in; it's not often I see a razor not covered by Waits Smile

3 7,763
 03-08-2019, 01:46 PM
  • SteelyEdge
  • Is it razor sharp? Works for me..
  • Northeast, USA
User Info
Similar to a KEEN KUTTER & CHRISTY razors. Nice....

1 357
 03-12-2019, 12:57 PM
User Info
(03-07-2019, 12:38 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Nothing in Waits' Razor Compendium. Not much at all online - a couple of old links to fleaBay, and nothing more.

[Image: 213343742_b77507ef62_b.jpg]

So I called up the L. H. Sturm Hardware shop yesterday (you're right sir, they are still around!), oldest running business in Jasper, IN, and spoke to a nice fellow named Bernie who apparently has been the store manager there for many years.  He indicated that, to his recollection, they either sold and/or gave away Sturm branded DE razors as far back as he can remember in the 1940s (don't think he was the manager then, perhaps just a young customer).  He said he had never seen a Sturm branded single edge razor, so I sent him the photos at the top of this thread.  He was glad that I passed the pics along and thought this razor was from that era (or well before given his lack of recollection of these razors).  
So there we have it - just a lil bit o history on this razor. And yes, it does look like it a Christy style and looks like it could take those blades.  
SO thanks for the team effort on this!  If anyone would like a closer look, or would like the razor itself (I really don't collect, so I don't have much use for it), just send me a PM.

58 597
 03-12-2019, 01:50 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
its a great story, should the little razor go home after all these years away?

a Free razor would have made the local paper either as an add or a story. maybe pics?

Maybe the hardware store would take the razor off of your hands. 

They seem very proud of being old.

Me not so much. YMMV

0 557
 03-12-2019, 01:56 PM
User Info
(03-12-2019, 01:50 PM)RyznRio Wrote: its a great story, should the little razor go home after all these years away?

a Free razor would have made the local paper either as an add or a story. maybe pics?

Maybe the hardware store would take the razor off of your hands. 

They seem very proud of being old.

Me not so much. YMMV
That’s a good idea. And the thought crossed my mind but Bernie sounded a bit as if he had lots of “old stuff” in the store.
Think I might send it to him anyway. . .
Thanks for the idea!

58 597