03-07-2019, 12:33 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
This came up in an earlier post and I was wondering if anyone here cooks from scratch?

I or my wife cook 98% of the time. Eating out is a social affair and we would prefer to cook for our friends and have a nice dinner at our place but that seems to make folks uncomfortable as they dont want to cook to reciprocate.

we read labels carefully and only choose products that have ingredients that we recognize and can pronounce. when we cant find something we make it ourselves eg ice cream currently every brand has gum in the ice cream but gum is a substitute for cream. a poor substitute at that. add in stabilizers and other chemicals for most brands. so we bought an ice cream maker and surprise best ice cream ever with only milk cream sugar and a flavor, vanilla is organic, chocolate is hershey's cocoa other brands are dutch processed which means treated with alkali so it dissolves better. i dont want to eat alkali i want to eat chocolate. currently ice cream machines (cuisinart) are about $50 and no more salt etc.

anyway i could go down the list of ice cream flavors and the simplicity of other dishes we make but everybody loves ice cream (sorry lactose intolerants) and very few make their own.  

so I'm wondering do any other gents or ladies read labels and choose to make their own if a commercial brand has too many chemicals to be called food. of course YMMV

0 252
 03-07-2019, 01:00 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
We eat out once a week at the most and we prepare all our other meals at home from scratch avoiding processed foods at all costs. Twice a month we have friends in for dinner, usually 2 couples, and again all 3 courses are prepared by us from scratch; none of our friends seem to be uncomfortable reciprocating with a dinner cooked in their home. Although I’m not lactose intolerant I don’t like ice cream and for that matter I don’t like drinking milk, but I do like cream in my coffee. I think my aversion to ice cream and milk is due to the scarcity of fresh milk and dairy in general when I was a child. We had to drink either powdered milk (Klim) or milk that was heat processed and preserved in sealed bottles; both were pretty disgusting and to this day milk and most milk products don’t appeal to me.

9 1,084
 03-07-2019, 01:30 PM
User Info
I absolutely cook 99% of the food we consume from scratch. I allow myself one serving of pizza per month, that's it for food that others cook for me.  Since I now have heart disease I live by nutrition labels. Any ingredients I buy must be low sodium, low sat' fat, and cholesterol. I try to keep my daily sodium below 200mg and definitely below 500mg. Last night I had to eat some chips to get the 200mg of sodium. At last blood test my LDL/HDL was 43/72. My Dr told me that some folks would kill to have those numbers.

I allow myself 2 eggs /week and 1 small serving/week of a fried meat product that goes with the eggs. If I eat those eggs over 2 days I don't get another serving of the meat, just one.

Cooking foods w/o sodium and fat is a completely different way of cooking and to have it taste good, but it can be done. I absolutely will NOT eat food that isn't tasty.

I make sorbet for my frozen treat... no butterfat, just 2 ingredients; frozen fruit and corn syrup. Currently I have blueberry sorbet from our bushes in the freezer. So far for Raspberry, strawberry, or blueberry the recipe is the same, 1 lb frozen berries and 3/4 cup corn syrup. It goes into the Vita-Mix and I use the tamping rod to push things down into the blades. without a tamping rod it wouldn't work.

32 6,564
 03-16-2019, 02:09 PM
User Info
From scratch, close to 100%.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

0 243
 03-16-2019, 03:06 PM
User Info
me and my wife will occasionally make our own ice cream though I cannot seem to make it right.  It always comes out rock hard.

0 423
 03-16-2019, 05:19 PM
User Info
Scratch!  Absolutely.  I know of no other way to control the contents of your food AND it tastes so much better.  I travel too much and must of necessity eat restaurant food.  It disgusts me that so many restaurants don't cook from scratch and don't apologize for it.  Dang dude! I give you "scratch-made" money and you pop the top off a no. 10 can and throw something in the microwave?  How the crap do you get great reviews.  Americas tongue is broken.  

I'm always grateful to get home to my knives, pans, pots, and pantry.  Scratch!

6 408
 03-16-2019, 05:24 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
(03-16-2019, 03:06 PM)asiliski Wrote: me and my wife will occasionally make our own ice cream though I cannot seem to make it right.  It always comes out rock hard.
add a little vodka to the mix.

1 to 2 Tbs should do it.

0 252
 03-16-2019, 05:39 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I've been trending this way for a bit .. if you do just "regular food" stuff - aka, meat, veggies, grains .. you can do it pretty easily.  Ice cream I gave up, but you can train to substitute almost anything if you have a little grit ..

56 610
 04-22-2019, 12:59 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I haven't had anything  completely from scratch  since my grandparents, who were from Sicily and Italy, passed away. I'm  talking pasta sauce  pasta, sausage  and meatballs, vegetables from the ground up.  The only short cuts since coming here was that the meat was bought from a butcher.  But my wife cooks from what constitutes scratch nowadays regularly.  Not daily but regularly.

8 2,602
 04-22-2019, 01:07 AM
User Info
From scratch when I know how Wink

3 6,283
 04-22-2019, 06:15 AM
User Info
Love to cook here.  Been doing a lot more of it lately.  I'd say I'm cooking about 50% of the time.  I made some scalloped potatoes yesterday for Easter dinner.  Potatoes, butter, flour, milk, cheddar cheese.  That's its.  And made some brussels sprouts to go with the Ham the wife bought.  All I did with the brussels sprouts was to pan sear them flat side down in olive oil in a cast iron pan and then once nicely browned, threw in some garlic cloves, balsamic vinegar and honey and continued to cook them for a while until tender.  I'll probably cook more and more the older I get.  It's enjoyable and I know how I like my food cooked.

2 242
 04-22-2019, 07:48 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I cringe at the thought of having a stranger touching my food. We do most all of our cooking at the house. Mostly Asian recipes with lots of veggies, fish and/or pork.  I used to eat more ice cream than I do now, which is almost never. I just find it clogs my veins up too much. LOL

0 435
 04-22-2019, 08:31 AM
User Info
Garb, I find that sorbet is easy to make, delicious, and fills the frozen treat craving just dandy.

32 6,564
 1 hour ago
User Info
One more reason to cook from scratch with fresh things:

https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/ful...19)30248-7

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

0 243