09-15-2012, 12:58 PM
User Info
So, I've done my basic research and it makes logical sense.

EDT = the least amount of essential oils, and is mostly alcohol.

EDC = more essential oils, but still alcohol based.

Perfume = perfume. Honestly the more I learn, the more I realize I know nothing. I'm assuming it contains the most essential oils and may or may not be alcohol based.

Reading up on the marketing and some wikipedia articles, I've surmised that EDC will last longer than EDT & may have a stronger scent.

But what about perfume? Do any men's fragrances classify themselves as perfume? How is it applied? By dropper?

I'm confused.

9 2,988
 09-15-2012, 01:17 PM
User Info
EdC is actually the weakest as far as the amount of 'scent' in the product. Then EdT. Then comes EdP (Eau de Parfum), then finally Parfum.

But this really isn't the whole story.

A fragrance that comes in different strengths may not smell exactly the same across the lineup. For instance, I have a bottle of Habit Rouge EdP, which smells different from the EdT (which I've tried) and the EdC (which I haven't.) They all last a good amount of time, but the extra oils in the EdP give the fragrance more depth while it lasts.

Also just because it has more 'fragrance', doesn't mean it will last longer. You can talk to people who own lime EdTs, which seem to vanish almost instantaneously, because true lime oil is very volatile and doesn't last. Something like Old Spice (which I think is a cologne and thus has even less fragrance than EdC) will last longer because the fragrances used stick around.

I've seen pure parfum, and yes you'd probably apply it by dropper but it could irritate your skin depending on what is in it. I think some men's frags do come in this strength but it's not common, would be hard to find, and would be very expensive.

12 1,243
 09-15-2012, 01:23 PM
User Info
Thanks! See, I was still confused! Biggrin

Still makes me wonder if Creed actually represents a better value even though it costs 3x more per bottle.

9 2,988
 09-15-2012, 01:34 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
In fragrances, there is one universally accepted fact - there really is nothing consistent and little "regulation" to make it so. I have EdC s that last all day and others that last 10 minutes it seems. EdP? A little more predictable but still not well, predictable. For these reasons, I try to sample first and ask/research before buying bottles.

Despite the above, I love the hunt!! Best of luck.

35 2,703
 09-15-2012, 01:36 PM
User Info
(09-15-2012, 01:23 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: Thanks! See, I was still confused! Biggrin

Still makes me wonder if Creed actually represents a better value even though it costs 3x more per bottle.

If you like the scent of Creed, it is worth it. Nothing else I've tried smells like Windsor or Aventus.

But what does "value" mean? There are lots of relatively inexpensive EdCs/EdTs that will last all day, but if you don't like the scent, they are terrible values.

When you pay more for frags, you are generally paying for higher quality ingredients (natural over synthetic oils), more complex (and natural smelling) scents, the brand, etc.

I think L'Occitane may be one of the better "values" because they use high quality ingredients and their frags are well-priced, but there isn't any overlap between what their products smell like and Creed.

Just buy what you enjoy.

12 1,243
 09-15-2012, 02:10 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(09-15-2012, 01:17 PM)insomniac Wrote: But this really isn't the whole story.

A fragrance that comes in different strengths may not smell exactly the same across the lineup. For instance, I have a bottle of Habit Rouge EdP, which smells different from the EdT (which I've tried) and the EdC (which I haven't.) They all last a good amount of time, but the extra oils in the EdP give the fragrance more depth while it lasts.

Also just because it has more 'fragrance', doesn't mean it will last longer. You can talk to people who own lime EdTs, which seem to vanish almost instantaneously, because true lime oil is very volatile and doesn't last. Something like Old Spice (which I think is a cologne and thus has even less fragrance than EdC) will last longer because the fragrances used stick around.

I've seen pure parfum, and yes you'd probably apply it by dropper but it could irritate your skin depending on what is in it. I think some men's frags do come in this strength but it's not common, would be hard to find, and would be very expensive.

+1

I have EdP and EdT bottles of Terre d'Hermes and actually prefer the EdT scent..they both have similar longevity but seem to focus on different notes..the EdP seems to ignore the peppery or flinty notes (they're there but subdued) and focus on the grapefruit/woody elements and produces a smoother overall scent. The EdT is vice versa and the focus seems to be more on the flint/peppery notes and it's a bit "dirtier" of a scent, for lack of a better definition...also the silage on the EdT seems to be massive compared to EdP, in my experience anyway.

Anyway, this is an example of how EdP and EdT can vary, it's not just a matter of which is stronger.

31 1,510
 09-15-2012, 03:07 PM
User Info
From here:

• Perfume extract, or simply perfume (Extrait): 15-40% (IFRA: typical 20%) aromatic compounds
  • Esprit de Parfum (ESdP): 15-30% aromatic compounds, a seldom used strength concentration in between EdP and perfume
  • Eau de Parfum (EdP), Parfum de Toilette (PdT): 10-20% (typical ~15%) aromatic compounds, sometimes listed as "eau de perfume" or "millésime." Parfum de Toilette is a less common term that is generally analogous to Eau de Parfum.
  • Eau de toilette (EdT): 5-15% (typical ~10%) aromatic compounds
  • Eau de Cologne (EdC): Chypre citrus type perfumes with 3-8% (typical ~5%) aromatic compounds. "Original Eau de Cologne" is a registered trademark.
  • Perfume mist: 3-8% aromatic compounds (typical non-alcohol solvent)
  • Splash (EdS) and Aftershave: 1-3% aromatic compounds. "EdS" is a registered trademark.

2 5,531
 09-15-2012, 05:25 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
Very helpful, Emanuel. Thank you!

13 599
 09-18-2012, 06:42 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
And, of course a forum for everything that you've ever wanted to know and then some....

http://www.basenotes.net

I had been on that forum since it's inception. A previous addiction disorder..........

6 905
 11-06-2012, 11:28 AM
  • 2dwgs
  • North Carolina
User Info
(09-15-2012, 01:36 PM)insomniac Wrote: I think L'Occitane may be one of the better "values" because they use high quality ingredients and their frags are well-priced, but there isn't any overlap between what their products smell like and Creed.

Just buy what you enjoy.

+1 to L'Occitane, I've got two EdT's from them that each have a place in my summer/winter rotations. Each of their fragrances is distinct, although most of them are very full bodied (good or bad depending on the scent.)

12 83
 11-06-2012, 06:03 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Even I spent a little time learning about Parfum Scents and I was glad that I had a very very basic understanding before I too a look so I was not totally surprised by what little I learned.

There is a lot that goes into Scenting and a lot to learn too.

So for the moment, I put that project on the back burner.

Very Good List and thanks for the website.

1 819