03-07-2019, 02:01 PM
User Info
I "accidentally" won this Gillette Slim Twist on an online auction (for very little money). It's in good condition and does not seem to have seen that much use but I could use some advice.

How do I best clean it up? I'm sure some of you are experts at this. I was thinking a bath in citric acid but I dunno what that would do to the plastic. So far I've done nothing to it, this is how I got it. 

Also, is there a way to figure out what year, or at least what decade, it might be from?

Thanks for any tips. I have no intention of starting a collection, by the way. I know this model has no collector value to speak of.

[Image: MlMZp2T.jpg]
[Image: mo4VJfa.jpg]
[Image: 86EPHNq.jpg]
[Image: Nvn5zJH.jpg]

1 382
 03-07-2019, 02:08 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(03-07-2019, 02:01 PM)RazorSteve Wrote: I have no intention of starting a collection, by the way. 

You know we all said this when we started, right? It didn't work for any of us, I assure you of that.

1) Hard Toothbrush
2) Fairy Ultra
3) Hot Water, not boiling, don't forget the handle is plastic
4) Barbicide (10 minutes is enough time)
5) Fairy Ultra (again)

60 2,617
 03-07-2019, 02:10 PM
User Info
(03-07-2019, 02:08 PM)nikos.a Wrote:
(03-07-2019, 02:01 PM)RazorSteve Wrote: I have no intention of starting a collection, by the way. 

You know we all said this when we started, right? It didn't work for any of us, I assure for that.

I suspected that, yes. But it will be different for me because I really don't want a collection.
And yes, I'm sure all of you said that too Smile

(03-07-2019, 02:08 PM)nikos.a Wrote: 1) Hard Toothbrush
2) Fairy Ultra
4) Barbicide (10 minutes are enough time)
5) Fairy Ultra (again)

Thank you, great. Good tips.
Hm, the barbicide would cost me more than the razor though.

1 382
 03-07-2019, 02:13 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(03-07-2019, 02:10 PM)RazorSteve Wrote:
(03-07-2019, 02:08 PM)nikos.a Wrote:

You know we all said this when we started, right? It didn't work for any of us, I assure for that.

I suspected that, yes. But it will be different for me because I really don't want a collection.
And yes, I'm sure all of you said that too Smile

(03-07-2019, 02:08 PM)nikos.a Wrote: 1) Hard Toothbrush
2) Fairy Ultra
4) Barbicide (10 minutes are enough time)
5) Fairy Ultra (again)

Thank you, great. Good tips.
Hm, the barbicide would cost me more than the razor though.

It is worth it though. 

You'll buy more vintage/used razors soon, so you'll need it again.  Wink

60 2,617
 03-07-2019, 02:21 PM
User Info
I would just use dish soap, hot tap water, and a soft child's toothbrush.

Enjoy your new vintage razor.  As Nikos says, it may not be your last.

60 9,536
 03-07-2019, 02:31 PM
User Info
Don't forget the elbow grease... it's better to use a toothbrush for longer than to use an abrasive cleaner.

3 6,609
 03-07-2019, 02:31 PM
User Info
(03-07-2019, 02:21 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I would just use dish soap, hot tap water, and a soft child's toothbrush.

Enjoy your new vintage razor.  As Nikos says, it may not be your last.

Thanks. I suspect you're right but I will live in denial as long as possible.

1 382
 03-07-2019, 03:11 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I like to soak them in hot soapy water to loosen the built up grime and then very gently massage said grime off with a very soft toothbrush. If necessary, repeat. Next a soak in rubbing alcohol, 90 proof. Dry thoroughly with a soft, non-scratch cloth. Season to taste and enjoy! Serves 1.

15 3,687
 03-07-2019, 03:21 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Worcester
User Info
Couple drops of Dial dish soap and hot water with an old toothbrush is what I use to clean. I'm unsure if it's the same with the English made ones, but there should be a letter and number date code on the bottom of the baseplate which can be used to date it.

40 1,937
 03-07-2019, 03:30 PM
User Info
(03-07-2019, 03:21 PM)Tonality Wrote: Couple drops of Dial dish soap and hot water with an old toothbrush is what I use to clean. I'm unsure if it's the same with the English made ones, but there should be a letter and number date code on the bottom of the baseplate which can be used to date it.

Thanks.
Unfortunately I can't see any markings except the Gillette logo and "Made in England" on the baseplate.

1 382
 03-07-2019, 03:44 PM
User Info
I wonder if the box can be used to date it (aproximately)? When I google pictures of the white handle Slim Twist, it looks like the boxes changed more than the actual razor did, thought the years.

1 382
 03-07-2019, 07:30 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
if you dont want barbacide around, a 15 min soak in 91% isopropol alcohol or hydrogen peroxide should wash out the carcasses of the 50+ year old germs buried on your razor. nothing can live for very long on metal or plastic.

I was once as you are now, content with one ok two razors and a tube of cremo.

now a few months in and with every good intention not to become a collector, i have 5 vintage gillettes, a super sport, slim adjustable, tech travel razor with a nice red zipper case and a fat handle tech oh yes and my first, a Qshave Futur.

I am waiting on a delivery of a razorock 6C. need one for every day of the week like those SE gents and ladies after all.

and the list I must admit goes on with brushes and soaps and bowls, OH MY! just follow the yellow brass road where the wonderful wizard of shaving will...

sorry got a little carried away hehe

anyway, razor emporium has good info on dating gillettes.

have fun! and remember razors and brushes are like guitars, the good ones with brand names that are known and respected will always maintain or increase in value and sale ability, good ones without that recognition generally sell but not for their true value based on performance, and usually end up kept in the family. then there is junk, you know the ebay lots with 15 razors blah blah blah for under 100.00.

0 341
 03-07-2019, 11:49 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Forgot to mention the Silvo. I've always used it to make the nickel plated razors shine.

60 2,617
 03-08-2019, 02:02 AM
User Info
(03-07-2019, 11:49 PM)nikos.a Wrote: Forgot to mention the Silvo. I've always used it to make the nickel plated razors shine.

Right, I was just pondering how to get the shine up, it's a bit dull.

1 382
 03-08-2019, 02:19 AM
User Info
(03-07-2019, 07:30 PM)RyznRio Wrote: if you dont want barbacide around, a 15 min soak in 91% isopropol alcohol or hydrogen peroxide should wash out the carcasses of the 50+ year old germs buried on your razor. nothing can live for very long on metal or plastic.

I was once as you are now, content with one ok two razors and a tube of cremo.

now a few months in and with every good intention not to become a collector, i have 5 vintage gillettes, a super sport, slim adjustable, tech travel razor with a nice red zipper case and a fat handle tech oh yes and my first, a Qshave Futur.

I am waiting on a delivery of a razorock 6C. need one for every day of the week like those SE gents and ladies after all.

and the list I must admit goes on with brushes and soaps and bowls, OH MY! just follow the yellow brass road where the wonderful wizard of shaving will...

sorry got a little carried away hehe

anyway, razor emporium has good info on dating gillettes.

have fun! and remember razors and brushes are like guitars, the good ones with brand names that are known and respected will always maintain or increase in value and sale ability, good ones without that recognition generally sell but not for their true value based on performance, and usually end up kept in the family. then there is junk, you know the ebay lots with 15 razors blah blah blah for under 100.00.

Good tips thanks.
Yes, it's clear that some models are expensive and some not. I didn't expect to get this one as cheap as I did but to me it's  just a chance to try another razor for little money.
Not sure about the balance of the Slim Twist though, I haven't tried shaving with it but it seems awfully top heavy compared to my Merkur.
There is one particular single blade razor I would like to get though, entirely for sentimental reasons, beyond that I have no plans on expanding the collection but as you all say, that's how everyone gets started.

1 382
 03-10-2019, 02:44 AM
User Info
Had my first shave with it. Perfectly fine, no problems. 
I used a (3rd shave) Timor blade since it felt daring to start with a Feather. In retrospect I could have, the razor is very mild, more so than my Merkur 34C (which is all I have to compare it to). Interestingly the top-heavy design did not bother me as much as I thought it would. Just holding it, the razor feels very unbalanced in my hand, but when I actually shaved with it, I did not really notice it.

All that said, I still prefer the Merkur, but of course this is premature since I've only shaved with it once.

1 382
 03-10-2019, 03:35 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Did it clean up nicely?

60 2,617
 03-10-2019, 04:47 AM
User Info
(03-10-2019, 03:35 AM)nikos.a Wrote: Did it clean up nicely?

Absolutely. I scrubbed it with a tooth brush and dishwashing liquid, then stuck it in almost boiling water (up to the handle), then sanitizer, then scrubbed it again.
I haven't polished it and the top is a little dull, but it's certainly clean.

[Image: itv0fPQ.jpg]

1 382
 03-10-2019, 06:18 PM
User Info
Nice razor.  

A bit of misinformation in this thread about sanitizing old razors.  I thought I'd clear it up.  

A couple of gents mentioned using 91% alcohol.  It's much better to use 70% alcohol.  The water content is important.  Rubbing alcohol sanitizes surfaces as it dries.  The drying of the 70% ethanol maximizes its effectiveness as a sanitizer.  More is not always better, and in this case, it is definitely worse.  

Now one could argue whether alcohol is needed at all.  Most bacteria and viruses can't survive for that long on a dried, non-porous surface.  A good wash with dish soap and a clean toothbrush is likely enough.  Personally, after that I dry the razor, then wipe it off with 70% ethanol and let it dry.  I then consider it good.  Barbicide is great, but not necessary for a vintage razor.

Again, congrats on the new acquisition!

3 2,003
 03-11-2019, 04:40 AM
User Info
(03-10-2019, 06:18 PM)kingfisher Wrote: Nice razor.  

A bit of misinformation in this thread about sanitizing old razors.  I thought I'd clear it up.  

A couple of gents mentioned using 91% alcohol.  It's much better to use 70% alcohol.  The water content is important.  Rubbing alcohol sanitizes surfaces as it dries.  The drying of the 70% ethanol maximizes its effectiveness as a sanitizer.  More is not always better, and in this case, it is definitely worse.  

Now one could argue whether alcohol is needed at all.  Most bacteria and viruses can't survive for that long on a dried, non-porous surface.  A good wash with dish soap and a clean toothbrush is likely enough.  Personally, after that I dry the razor, then wipe it off with 70% ethanol and let it dry.  I then consider it good.  Barbicide is great, but not necessary for a vintage razor.

Again, congrats on the new acquisition!

Thank you and thanks for the input. 
I actually used a 70% alcohol disinfectant since it's what I had available. Good to know though.
To be honest the alcohol felt like overkill since the scrubbing left the razor looking so clean but I figured better safe than sorry.

1 382