03-08-2019, 01:25 PM
User Info
Well, I thought I'd give my favorite hand soap a go. Papoutsanis is the biggest Greek soapmaking company, their products are very known. Musk scent is very pleasant, it smells wonderful.

No, I didn't shave with it. I have too many shaving products for that. I'm not saying that the shave with this would necessarily be a bad experience. The lather I got was not bad actually, but it didn't last. It was a bit airy. I don't believe that a very dense lather guarantees a great shave. There are shaving soaps that they wish they gave that lather in no time though.

[Image: P7ZROJH.jpg]

[Image: NBo4t75.jpg]

[Image: EqH69WH.jpg]

[Image: RvNcME9.jpg]

[Image: r1eYvsL.jpg]

[Image: 1GkWR9F.jpg]

[Image: L5iLe4l.jpg]

[Image: B7jjOfN.jpg]

[Image: GZdhQeV.jpg]

[Image: eBCg5TM.jpg]

[Image: VMGyRcM.jpg]

60 2,730
 03-08-2019, 01:57 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Got a little time on your hands, Nick?

Seriously though, I like your photos. It must have been fun!

19 4,689
 03-08-2019, 02:10 PM
User Info
(03-08-2019, 01:57 PM)chazt Wrote: Got a little time on your hands, Nick?

Seriously though, I like your photos. It must have been fun!
Thanks, Charlie. Actually, I didn't shave today and it took me about 20 minutes for everything you see. The same time I spend on a shave.

60 2,730
 03-08-2019, 04:20 PM
User Info
I tried the same thing with some Acqua di Parma Colonia bath soap, and the lather was not very impressive.

251 14,734
 03-08-2019, 04:21 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Nikos, that lather looks better than that from some brand name shave soaps.

119 19,668
 03-14-2019, 09:50 AM
User Info
I think it's interesting to see what is available locally that can be shaved with. I did that quite extensively quite a few years ago. Here in the US we have a glycerine soap in the supermarkets by the name of Clearly Natural. It was hands down the best lathering soap that I found. I not only lathered it for kicks though, I actually shaved with it, and it was fairly decent. It was much more usable than for "just in a pinch". Way back then I actually had it in my rotation.

BTW, I also found mostly duds.

32 6,609
 03-14-2019, 10:39 AM
User Info
It was extremely common for a man to shave with whatever soap was to hand "back in the day." Can be quite a drying experience but also shocking how good some of the old bars can be (Camay was an old favourite.)

You should try one pass with it next time Nikos, you may be pleasantly surprised!

4 368
 03-14-2019, 01:41 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-14-2019, 09:50 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I think it's interesting to see what is available locally that can be shaved with. I did that quite extensively quite a few years ago. Here in the US we have a glycerine soap in the supermarkets by the name of Clearly Natural. It was hands down the best lathering soap that I found. I not only lathered it for kicks though, I actually shaved with it, and it was fairly decent. It was much more usable than for "just in a pinch".

Neutrogena original, available almost everywhere, also can generate a good shaving lather.

1 1,462